Intercooler for 2003 ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The intercooler is between the turbo and the intake manifold so any bits that fly off the compressor wheel will be trapped in there, with out it all those bits go into the manifold and through your engine. hope that makes sense :)

Glad to hear yours is still going well! Yep- they're a great size for convenient fitting, but not so much for really effective cooling. Have you fitted a bonnet scoop with yours?

Hey Ben_W, keen to hear more on your setup mate if you could. Did you end up fitting a bonnet scoop? If so, could you throw some pics up? And what about a fan with yours, maybe mounted on the bottom??? I love your pics. Looks like a really cheap setup, with not too much mucking around..

Hey mate, I see you found the pics in my garage. Yep, the fan is a 6 inch low profile fan I found on ebay. Was around $40 or $50 from memory. The bonnet scoop was also off ebay, around the $100 mark. It was listed as a "Hilux style" scoop and, as far as I can tell, is a moulded fibreglass copy of the current Hilux scoops (the narrower ones). It came unpainted, so I gave it a sand and a couple of coats of silver paint (rattle can from Supercheap) which actually matched pretty well! The scoop fitted the bonnet very easily. I should point out that when I ordered the scoop I had to specify that I wanted 4 bolts on the scoop which made it easy to secure (it also came with M6 nuts & washers). I just bolted it down with a bit of sikaflex to fill any gaps.
I had to mount the thermo fan on top of the intercooler as there was definitely not enough room underneath, and wired it as a "pusher fan" as per the instructions. I also ran it through a relay, operated by a switch on the dash, which is only live when the ignition is on.
So far I'm very happy with the whole setup. Here's a few more pics.

Attachments

• Bonnet hole.jpg
    Bonnet hole.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMAG1211.jpg
    IMAG1211.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMAG1213.jpg
    IMAG1213.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 138
Thank for the reply mate. I'm tackling mine over the next couple of days, so I'll see how it goes. Hopefully it turns out looking like yours and I'll be stoked! Thanks again for the input.

No worries mate, good luck with it. What I found the hardest was making up the bracket for the intercooler. Getting the measurements and bends right took me a couple of goes. Everything else was pretty straight forward.

Hey Ben. So I got it all mounted up fairly nicely. Trimmed a couple of bends down a bit to get everything spaced out where i wanted it. Just need to add the fan and a bonnet scoop, and think she's all good. I see you cut the ribs on the bonnet when you fitted the scoop. I'm a little worried about that due to getting pinged by main roads, and did it make the bonnet a bit weaker, ie. flex more due to not having the support across that corner?? Anyway, here's some pics of my setup..

Attachments

• 20141224_202948.jpg
    20141224_202948.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 20141224_202917.jpg
    20141224_202917.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 20141224_202937.jpg
    20141224_202937.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 115
The intercooler is between the turbo and the intake manifold so any bits that fly off the compressor wheel will be trapped in there, with out it all those bits go into the manifold and through your engine. hope that makes sense :)

Yep that makes sense. thanks.

Cheers
Oldie

Hey Ben. So I got it all mounted up fairly nicely. Trimmed a couple of bends down a bit to get everything spaced out where i wanted it. Just need to add the fan and a bonnet scoop, and think she's all good. I see you cut the ribs on the bonnet when you fitted the scoop. I'm a little worried about that due to getting pinged by main roads, and did it make the bonnet a bit weaker, ie. flex more due to not having the support across that corner?? Anyway, here's some pics of my setup..

Looking good mate. Mine's been in for a couple of months now & I have noticed the hoses rubbing in a couple of spots- one is a lug on top of the radiator shroud, and the other spot is one of the clips on the airbox, so just keep an eye on that.
I didn't find that cutting the bonnet ribs made it weaker or flex more- it still feels very sturdy.
What I can say is that the fan makes a big difference to egt's at highway cruising speed. I haven't noticed much difference at low speed between fan on and off which surprised me bit but overall I believe the scoop and fan is a very worthwhile addition.
Cheers, Ben

Looking good mate. Mine's been in for a couple of months now & I have noticed the hoses rubbing in a couple of spots- one is a lug on top of the radiator shroud, and the other spot is one of the clips on the airbox, so just keep an eye on that.
I didn't find that cutting the bonnet ribs made it weaker or flex more- it still feels very sturdy.
What I can say is that the fan makes a big difference to egt's at highway cruising speed. I haven't noticed much difference at low speed between fan on and off which surprised me bit but overall I believe the scoop and fan is a very worthwhile addition.
Cheers, Ben

Sounds good mate. Thanks again for all your help and pics. Muchly appreciated.

just need to trim 3 bit of plastic....but there is instructions on where to cut and how much etc

you fail to mention the lug that has to be cut off the thermo fan ,the grill support bracket has to be cut off . also the washer bottle neck has to be cut off (MUSLIMS WILL LOVE THIS). you have to also cut into the back of the grill to make room for the pipe . not to mention being supplied with hoses that have to be stretched to the max and the wrong brackets and elcheapo clamps . so to say you just need to trim a bit of plastic is a tad misleading .

Last edited:
has anyone got a winch mounted intercooler and would you be able to post some pics of the setup, especially the install at the front end and what is done to the grill area.

Back