Intercooler Leaking

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzza_

Reaction score
Hi all
I've just noticed my intercooler is leaking (see Picture)
looks like oil but not sure. I was told today that the crankcase vents into the intercooler but this doesn't sound right. anyone else struck this?

Attachments

• 2011-09-07 17.36.05.jpg
    2011-09-07 17.36.05.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 417
Yep, catch can to stop the blow by, and give the intercooler a good clean, not sure the best method for that (i dont have one).

A good catch can people use if you can find a spot for it is the Provent 200. I have one you can check out my garage for a pic. I cant believe the amount of shit it stops. Not clean oil either, burnt nasty looking stuff it stops going back in the motor through the turbo (and intercooler).

Pete

Crap same model as mine. I'm gonna start watching my intercooler for signs. I am wanting to install catch can anyway but funds are tight atm.

Cleaning intercooler use petrol or degreaser. Hold a hand on both holes and shake shake shake Hehe. Do this a few times and rinse VERY WELL with water. Let dry and reinstall. If you want to put a bigger core in the top mount and also have it tig welded I know PWR do this. PWR is intercooler company in ormeau down near goldcoast. My brother got his patrol intercooler done by them. Instead of being a crimped unit its all tig welded in with a larger core and it keeps the patrol a heap cooler.

Goodluck
Rusty

Yep, catch can to stop the blow by, and give the intercooler a good clean, not sure the best method for that (i dont have one).

A good catch can people use if you can find a spot for it is the Provent 200. I have one you can check out my garage for a pic. I cant believe the amount of shit it stops. Not clean oil either, burnt nasty looking stuff it stops going back in the motor through the turbo (and intercooler).

Pete

here is a link to a place in the states that will ship them, not sure how good the price is but here it is any way Catch Can Air Oil Separator, Provent 200 - 034 MOTORSPORT
scrap that link i just saw it on ebay $175 free postage

Last edited:
The crankcase doesn't ventilate into the intercooler, it is connected to the air intake just in front of the turbocharger. It is then blown into the intercooler where, because the intercooler is a cooler, the oil condenses and sits. It does need cleaning out and when you do, you'll notice a performance benefit.

I would clean it out with either petrol or kerosene as either of these will not harm diesel in small quantities. Make sure you give the intercooler a good chance to dry out.

I'd go looking for that leak. You might try searching for it while you've got it full of petrol, since petrol is highly fluid it should easily find its way through a crack. Once you've finished cleaning it, you might want to get it welded - so a thorough wash & dry is needed, and make sure you tell the person who's welding it that you used fuel to clean it out - fuel + welding = high energy fun. I don't think putty would be TOO successful unless it's rated to withstand (say) 25-30psi.

Oh, and catch can - needed.

Is the leak in the intercooler something Nissan should cover with the warranty?

Be careful about degreaser with intercooler, Been looking through intercooler sites and there was a reference to a cooler being destoyed by the cleaning agent used to clean it. Certain degreasers not aluminium friendly

Is the leak in the intercooler something Nissan should cover with the warranty?

I would imagine that it would, providing the leak was from a faulty weld/join and not a puncturing by some foreign object.

Those of us with front-mount intercoolers that go wading through creeks and rivers without a wading bra risk getting sticks shoved through our intercoolers - and there's no chance Nissan would warrant that.

Standard Nissan intercooler's are shit anyway. There crimped on the tanks.

Hit them up for a warrenty claim.

Standard Nissan intercooler's are shit anyway. There crimped on the tanks.

Hit them up for a warrenty claim.

Went to Nissan this morning and showed them the leak at the intercooler.
They said they had to follow a procedure of washing the intercooler down and then checking the car in 1000km . If still leaking they would pull the intercooler off and have it pressure tested. I guess i'll see them in a 1000 km as it's not going to seal itself. they said they've never seen this problem before..

Went to Nissan this morning and showed them the leak at the intercooler.
They said they had to follow a procedure of washing the intercooler down and then checking the car in 1000km . If still leaking they would pull the intercooler off and have it pressure tested. I guess i'll see them in a 1000 km as it's not going to seal itself. they said they've never seen this problem before..

Lol, they always say that.

Ask them if they have ever seen a GU Patrol ZD30 intercooler split before.

There prone for doing the same thing as yours.

x1 what Dave said Nissan are full of s#$t seen it happen to a mates nav and numerous patrols I would highly recommend not wasting your time with Nissan and just get the tanks welded. We all want our cars to be reliable and hassle free as possible so from a mechanics opinion fix things properly the first time so not to waste more time and money down the track.

Czeslaw

You think Nissan would of learnt with the GU ZD30 intercoolers and how there mounted. Thats why they crack.

RD28ETI"S and TD42Ti's dont crack as there mount to the body.

Latest posts

Back