Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the standard Nissan snorkel too, im just going to cut and shut a few pipes when i get around to fitting it.

I have a Question?? would a Intercooler for a Nissan R32 Skyline the standard one work on my D22, as it is about the same size as the Patrol 3.0 Intercooler????

Jas

Attachments

• !BYbrwvw!mk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLm(TDiBKhflbUhiQ~~_1.JPG
    !BYbrwvw!mk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLm(TDiBKhflbUhiQ~~_1.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 847
Any intercooler will work its just a matter of getting it into a position that receives good air flow and makes use of it. If you already have that cooler and dont have to purchase it then use it but if you are buying it then there are ones that flow/cool much better that.
The pipe work is the major part so you can always just swing a new/better cooler in at a later date.

Nafen
yeah i want to get rid of the pre filter aswell, then it would be good for fitting an intercooler.

will a cash insentive help you get it going.
cause if i can get rid of the prefilter id be keen for one.
also how do you go changing your air filter?

If you could invent more time in a day that would fix the problem:big_smile:

To change the air filter i just pop the pipe off thats in front of it, it is just the 2 t-bolt hose clamps and pipe comes straight off.
If i wasnt running the factory crossover pipe i would have made the pipe go under the air box hose instead. That might happen later anyway when i change the turbo.

how the hell does that fit under the bonnet?, looks like it has a bodylift aswell., could just be the angle of the pic. Same place im putting my intercooler, going to get rid of all the navara air filter shit and put a patrol 3.0 one in, less restrictive and its only 1 unit.

Thats cause there is stuff all pipework.
Top mounts are a waste of time, if you are going to keep it in the engine bay you are much better off with a W2A.

Last edited by a moderator:
i feel much more reasured having it high and out of the way. All the front mounts ive seen are tiny and no thermo fan + heaps of piping. Front mount without a thermo isnt going to do anything offroad when its revving hard but going slow. Topmount is neater, room for a bigger cooler and a thermo, and with a scoop will get plenty of air on the hwy.

In that type of situation there would be little to no differnce, with a top mount you have all the engine heat rising at low speeds trying to escape out the top of the engine bay anywhere it can and a tiny little fan blowing some air over the core which is already red hot and heat soaked.
The front mount however sitting away from engine heat in free air will be heated only from engine operation, then if you were really anal you could still fit a pull fan on the back side to draw air through.

The only advantages for a top mount are short pipe lengths which maintains throttle response and that they are cheaper if you pay someone else to do the job. You still have to cut a hole in your bonnet and add a scoop. There is good reason why performance cars ditch their top mounts as they become an interheater.
A water to air system is hands down the best of both worlds for offroad. It will maintain air intake temps much better, still has short pipe lengths for good throttle response and doesnt require any bonnet chopping or scoops.
Front mount will still be the best for intake temps on the freeway and for 95% of what most Navara owners use their cars for which is towing, touring and tradies as they are hardly built as an offroad machine.

Ultimately id opt for the water to air intercoolers, just remember any top mount intercooler is going to have to be big to gain a difference. My mechanic is a Nismo performance centre mechanic and says for me to go for a front mount, might be a bit hard as i dont have much room, but to do it anyway, to have a top mount to do the same job as a front one it would have to be 3 times the size of the front mount cooler after you factor in differences with heat, less air flow etc etc.
My mate with his 2.8d patrol has got a top mount cooler with factory fan underneath it, on his patrol forums guys reckon at 80km/h the scoop gets stuff all air, cos of the way the bonnet is shaped with the scoop, and has been advised to fit a bigger scoop.

Yeah id prefer a water to air but i rkn itd be too $$ even doing it my self.

Latest posts

Back