Introduction

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony you are not correct, the D40 has a far better suspension setup offering much better front wheel travel, steering geometry and can be lifted 65mm without any bump stop contact. The rear uses longer springs which improves articulation and traction over the D22. The D40 has bigger brakes and overall a much more robust drive line. The only thing limiting offroad performance is it's road height, longer wheel base and the turning circle.

It's my impression from seeing all these tweaked D22s - and probably the bashing that we get for carrying hair dryers that the D22 jockeys so desperately want to secretly use - that the D22 is more capable off-road.

The wheelbase and initial height are probably the actual cause of the misconception! I had thought that the D22 could be lifted higher than the D40. I suppose that should also be qualified with "for similar cost".

No dispute that the D40's suspension is BETTER - give me coil spring over torsion bar any day. I had thought its travel was less than the 22's - my apologies for this blunder.

I was just checking factory ground clearance figures, D22 STR 225mm, 05-09 STX 205mm, 2010 STX 228mm. So the guys with a 2010 model STX get bragging rights.

I was just checking factory ground clearance figures, D22 STR 225mm, 05-09 STX 205mm, 2010 STX 228mm. So the guys with a 2010 model STX get bragging rights.

I saw that the other day when checking the specs of the new model out for someone and figured one day when a D22 driver is bagging out a D40 driver that will pop its head up and bite them on the arse.

Tony you are not correct, the D40 has a far better suspension setup offering much better front wheel travel, steering geometry and can be lifted 65mm without any bump stop contact. The rear uses longer springs which improves articulation and traction over the D22. The D40 has bigger brakes and overall a much more robust drive line. The only thing limiting offroad performance is it's road height, longer wheel base and the turning circle.

Maybe but D40 brakes are made of chalk, everytime you change the oil you have to change the front brake pads and rotors.

Dave.

But that's fine because chalk is cheaper than those over priced pads you need to buy for a bloody D22. Get your kids to thieve enough chalk from school and make your own

My pads are going to last me 3 essays, 400 lines and a daily dusting. You just wait till I stick them in salt they last even longer

Oh I thought we were discussing the pads being chalk on a D40, whiteboards just don't seem like a viable excuse for all that dust.

Well you '22 boys keep telling us that D40's can't keep up I don't want to prove you wrong.

Back