Is 18-22lts per 100klm normal?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brodywhite

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2014 d22 str and when just dtiving around town doing around 70-80 klmph and in 5th gear its still using around 18 to 22 lts per 100klms I have a device that plugs straight into the obd2 port and show me the instant fuel reading
I have only done 8000ks so far since new and I never rev past 2500 rpm

Short answer - no, its not normal! 10-12 is probably closer. So, what mods you got (chip, tyres, canopy/ drawers or other weight)?

70 to 80 ks in 5th wouldn't be helping I wouldn't think...Try staying in 3rd and 4th and see how it goes...

Yea I get black smoke out the back when I take off its not chipped, tyres it came with are on there, pretty stock atm no extra weight

If it's a large amount of smoke, I'd wonder about the wastegate on the turbocharger first. If it's had its air filter replaced with a K&N that's been overoiled (I'm guessing that the 2014 D22 has a MAFS like my 2009 D40) then the MAFS may be misreading the air flow.

70 to 80 ks in 5th wouldn't be helping I wouldn't think...Try staying in 3rd and 4th and see how it goes...

Wouldn't that use more fuel? Higher revs? How would you stay in third and do 70kph... you would be hitting 4000rpm

My 07 navara d 40 used 0.89l pr 100km last fuel tank, this was normal driving, but most low speed. But have done som mods then..

If your not getting over 2500 you are not driving it like a small displacement turbo diesel like it should. How are you depressing the accelerator? Almost to the floor but still at 1500rpm? As diesels make their power with ammont of fuel put in there a direct relationship between the throttle and fuel used, it won't care if you haven't got any rpm up it will still dump fuel in. For example you will save fuel by going back a gear on a large hill as you won't be depressing the accelerator as far down to keep the same speed. Personally for cruising use 5th at and above 80km/h otherwise use 4th but not under 55km/h. If you think that's way to many revs, just look at the revs at 100km/h. These engines are made to rev.

Wouldn't that use more fuel? Higher revs? How would you stay in third and do 70kph... you would be hitting 4000rpm

You would think so, but no! I've owned two stock YD25 D22's (still own a 2013) & If I kept them in between 2200 -3200RPM fuel usage was good.

If I drop below 1800RPM too much, fuel usage sky rocketed!

I'm not talking about flogging them, just holding them in gear longer.

18-22L per 100k's is obviously way too much! The only time I've got those figures was towing a camper trailer across sand dunes with 4 adults on board & tyre pressures way down.

Around town I get 9's. On the open road I get 8's. The only time that towing affects these figures is when towing massive loads up near GCM.

Cheers,

Kevin.

I recently bought a 2014 d22 str and when just dtiving around town doing around 70-80 klmph and in 5th gear its still using around 18 to 22 lts per 100klms I have a device that plugs straight into the obd2 port and show me the instant fuel reading
I have only done 8000ks so far since new and I never rev past 2500 rpm
How much are you getting out of a tank?, around 700 would be normal unladen. Perhaps the "device" you are reading your figures from is inaccurate. Try the old method fill up to the brim of the filler drive 200kms refill and with the ltrs put in via the bowser use the online calculator to work it out.

Last edited:
Something funny going on there... based on those figures from a 75L tank your consumption is only 12.5 to 13.6 Litres/100km. I don't think that's too bad, though Nissan reckons the fuel consumption for the dual cab is 9.2L/100km.

Last edited:
I usually get 200kms per quarter of a tank eg when down to half full around 400 -420 kms travelled. You could find out about the software update Nissan was installing in smokey and thirsty d22's.

My 2004 ZD30 runs at about 9.5L/100km, this is a pretty standard ute, it has 265/75/16 AT tyres, EGR block with catch can, snorkle and a suspension lift, but I carry no extra weight. My consumption has gone up approx 0.5l/100km with the tyre increase from 265/70 to 265/75s that's taking into account the about 3% larger rolling circumference.

Not sure why but the 3L seems to get better economy than the newer CR 2.5L, I thought the whole idea of downsizing the engine would be to save fuel. This is general reading on these forums though, I might have just read figures with guys with big tyres and carrying heavy loads.

I would say your OBD2 Device that is not configured correctly.

I use the Android OBD2 Torque App with my 2011 D22 Nav, I have been using it since the beginning of the year and it has taken me that time tweaking the app's setting/vehicle profile to get to the point where I am half happy with it.

The Torque App does not read the fuel tank sensor, only fuel flow, so you have to manually re-adjust the vehicle profile fuel level through the course of a trip.

Around Semi-Urban traveling, I get between 550 to 630klm's out of 63Lts of diesel regularly. My Android OBD2 Torque App L/100Klm (avg) reading after much tweaking, tells me I am getting around 14L/100klm.

I would say your OBD2 Device that is not configured correctly.

I use the Android OBD2 Torque App with my 2011 D22 Nav, I have been using it since the beginning of the year and it has taken me that time tweaking the app's setting/vehicle profile to get to the point where I am half happy with it.

The Torque App does not read the fuel tank sensor, only fuel flow, so you have to manually re-adjust the vehicle profile fuel level through the course of a trip.

Around Semi-Urban traveling, I get between 550 to 630klm's out of 63Lts of diesel regularly. My Android OBD2 Torque App L/100Klm (avg) reading after much tweaking, tells me I am getting around 14L/100klm.

Good reason for the fuel tank sensor issue: the ECU doesn't ever get to see that data either. The fuel gauge in this car is the same that they've been using since the Battle of Hastings: send a voltage down to the variable resistor attached to the float in the fuel tank and pump the return voltage through a needle indicator in the dash.

What kind of values did you adjust in Torque? I haven't played with mine, and I'm still using 85 for my volumetric efficiency and 1.0 for the MPG trim.

My 2004 ZD30 runs at about 9.5L/100km, this is a pretty standard ute, it has 265/75/16 AT tyres, EGR block with catch can, snorkle and a suspension lift, but I carry no extra weight. My consumption has gone up approx 0.5l/100km with the tyre increase from 265/70 to 265/75s that's taking into account the about 3% larger rolling circumference.

Not sure why but the 3L seems to get better economy than the newer CR 2.5L, I thought the whole idea of downsizing the engine would be to save fuel. This is general reading on these forums though, I might have just read figures with guys with big tyres and carrying heavy loads.

I'm getting about the same out of my stock tyre wise yd25 d22. I haven't had a really good look since doing the 3" exhaust yet though as I didn't bother resetting the ecu when I changed it, so I'll have to give it a few more tanks to relearn probably.....

As for the economy difference, effectively you are using a less powerful engine to power the same size / weight vehicle as the older engine, so it will use more fuel. In saying that, the yd25s should have less emissions output than the zd30......

Latest posts

Back