Is a turbo solenoid and DPF failure related?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick C

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently had my DPF fail and the dreaded limp mode left me stranded. I have installed a delete pipe and had the limp mode and DPF light cleared but the ute seemed like I was driving with the handbrake on ie no power. My mechanic said there was nothing showing on his scan tool but he to said its not right. So I searched the forum for clues and ended up checking the turbo boost solenoid which doesn't appear to be working ( Turbo actuator is not moving at idle or when the engine is revved). The question I have is is this a common problem to have both go at the same time or is it a one of? Im just trying to work out why the DPF failed.
Thanks
Mick

depends a bit on why the DPF failed. a failed solenoid could cause excessive smoke which would block up a DPF.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I found the hose on the turbo actuator to be perished so I trimmed it back to good hose but all the others appear to be in good condition but I will replace them. Ive got good vacuum to the solenoid but that's as far as it goes. Ive got voltage at the solenoid plug so im assuming its the solenoid. It didn't seem to be blowing any smoke before the DPF went but it did loose all power before I got the DPF light and limp mode

Voltage at the solenoid isn't the only story though - it should look like battery voltage but it's actually oscillating at 100Hz.

If someone revs the engine and you test the hose connected to the actuator you should feel vacuum there. If there's vacuum present at the actuator and the actuator isn't moving, then it's possible that the actuator is damaged (damaged diaphragm) or the vanes are stuck. Those vanes are in the exhaust stream. A perished vac hose resulting in excessive soot - enough to block the DPF - could also have affected the turbo vanes.

When my Boost Control Solenoid went, I was sooting up the whole road.. Embarassing really. The Engine is fueling for BOOST and it's getting none to little.

This would block a DPF in no time at all - and with nothing blowing into the intake, you'd not get enough temp on the regen burn - and bam.. DPF light and it's cactus!

When I tested the voltage it was battery voltage which explains what you are saying Tony. The actuator moves freely and takes little effort to move when sucking on the hose so I think the actuator is ok. The funny thing is it's not blowing black smoke but it's like I'm driving with the handbrake half on even at 60km/h it keeps dropping back a gear and revving to 3k + if there is a slight hill to maintain the speed. I've ordered a new solenoid so hopefully it fixes the problem

When my Boost Control Solenoid went, I was sooting up the whole road.. Embarassing really. The Engine is fueling for BOOST and it's getting none to little.
doubt it as it reads airflow via maf and fuels to suit the air flow.
what will be happening is excessive egr due to the big increase in exhaust back pressure caused by the turbo vanes. don't have to increase egr by a lot to cause huge amounts of black smoke.

Well im happy to say that the new solenoid has fixed the problem. Thanks to everyone that has suggested things to try as well as all the info in this forum. Just waiting on my new delete pipe sensors from Auggie and itll be good as new

Back