Is there a severe shortage of new D22's?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The figures I see don't say whether it's combined or either model but my guess is if Nav was even close to Hilux there would be more Nav bragging by Nissan. I know in my area there is bucket loads more Hilux's on the roads (or paddocks) than there is Navs, the majority of Navs are owned by builders and tradies and even with the amount of them out there these days they don't come close to the number of country bumpkin farmers.

The figures I see don't say whether it's combined or either model but my guess is if Nav was even close to Hilux there would be more Nav bragging by Nissan. I know in my area there is bucket loads more Hilux's on the roads (or paddocks) than there is Navs, the majority of Navs are owned by builders and tradies and even with the amount of them out there these days they don't come close to the number of country bumpkin farmers.

Krafty, did you see this thread I posted late last year?

http://www.navara.asia/main-forum/1272-nissan-navara-sales-qld-6-months-01-july-09-a.html

Not until now but I'm guessing they are gained from a similar place to the figures our papers produce every week. RACV also produce figures every now and again but the weird thing is the figures are always different to the ones in the car press. The makers are usually listed in the same order but the sales figures can have massive difference for exactly the same time. Maybe a different person in the sales powers that be room answer the emails depending on the day of the week.

The one thing I am getting sick of is all those bloody cheapies hitting the road, I dread the day when we look at the figures of new cars sold and GW appears higher than Nissan. Especially since the GM of GW reckons they will be selling a million cars a year in Australia alone in the coming years, I know we all like to dream that our business's are better than they are but I hope his dream fails.

i cant see that happening.... a million just from gw? not a chance

Yeah I reckon its a big ask too but I suppose its good to be optimistic. He was saying how by mid this year they hope to have a $13K car on the market and with the intro of their new Captiva look alike I guess they have the potential to hit the market pretty hard. Haven't seen many of the new model on the road yet but I guess time will tell

After spending time at a Nissan dealer recently I noticed a distinct lack of D22 brochures - I wanted to souvenir one. Not only that but a major lacking of D22's on the lot. Not a one. I counted 5 in the service area but there were not any new vehicles for sale.
It was a 3 month wait to get ours - due to color choice. But there were still white, black and silver available on the lots at that time. Now there are none. In any dealerships that I have seen in Vic
The D22 is still advertised on the Nissan site and I know that the production has just shifted to Thailand so the model is obviously here to stay for the mid term but has anyone heard of troubles getting a new one?
Ours is back to Melton Nissan:victory: next week and I will be interested to find out what the waiting times are for delivery. We ordered ours end of June 09. There is a date stamp on one of the cross members under ours dated 22/08/09 and the build date is marked as Sep 09 - It arrived in Australia on the 21/09 so there is no doubt the factory was going flat out then, but how far behind are they now?

I ordered my d22 on the 7/12/2008 with none in the lot and only one d40 on the lot, and took delivery 2 weeks later.
The build date in the engine bay is Nov,2008.
The dealer told me they dont keep stock as they are getting sold as they are comming over and they can only ship so many at one time.
Either way i see more Navs on the road than lux's.

Could be we nav drivers are more happy to drive ours.

Just out of interest, when i was on Eastlink at the start of construction of the tunnels, there was a 6 month wait on Rodeo and Lux due to overwhelming purchasing of those vehilcles by Thiess/John Holland for the project.

I'm not sure what vehicles Thiess/Degremont are buying for the desal project but it might have some bearing on dualcab/singlecab availability at present.

Last edited by a moderator:
TJH are buying dual cab lux's here in Brisbane for AirportLink. Mostly 2WD's.

Toyota's are a bloody rip off, but they must have something going right because up here in QLD nearly all the mining industry have Cruiser utes, GX prado's or dual cab SR hiluxes. Drive past the docks/holding yards at any time and there is a whole paddock full of toyotas kitted out with the flags, flashing lights, reflective stripes etc. They must be making a killing selling SR hiluxes for $52,000 on road..... when you can get an equivalent RX D40, Dmax, Colorado etc for around the $40k mark.

I bought a D22 last week, had a choice of every colour all sitting on the dealer's lot ready for delivery. I'm collecting it this week.

Last edited:
Toyota more than likely offer better volume discounts which attracts big business. Years ago down our way it used to be Ford offering the big volume discounts and every second company had a fleet of Fords but these days the shift of the bigger companies in need of 4wd's is towards Toyotas and the shift of the smaller guys is towards SSangYongs cause the local dealer was nearly throwing them out.

Unfortunately for our own makers, and the quality jap units, i can see the days of chinese cheapo's grabing a large slice of the market due to their low pricing.
We've seen this already in many other area's.

The only way theyll grab a large slice of the market is with high quality products. Yeah theyll grab a small percentage that dont get, but if they cop a bit on cars falling apart etc. Itll take a fair while for them to get a decent percentage as the korean made cars are trying to do. Wernt they regarded as rubbish when the started..but the quality has lifted..As far as i know..never driven one i can think of.

I see far more navs then lux's on the road in my area. Plus i can count on one hand how many sr5's i have seen the same model as the str when they came out, the str killed the sr5 then, had more options, looked way better and was way cheaper. I think toyota has more lux range to offer so its an easier choice for tradies.

Toyota has a great reputation among tradesmen and farmers, and typically these kinds of people are very brand loyal - "if it ain't broke don't fix it" however things are slowly changing as the makes align themselves on a level standard.

I can't wait to get my mitts on my D22 tomorrow and take it for a run up the beach this weekend:)

Toyota has a great reputation among tradesmen and farmers, and typically these kinds of people are very brand loyal - "if it ain't broke don't fix it" however things are slowly changing as the makes align themselves on a level standard.

I can't wait to get my mitts on my D22 tomorrow and take it for a run up the beach this weekend:)

Let me know what you think of the new D22. I'm having trouble with mine, seems to lack power and blows a heap of smoke. Nissan want to charge me $300 to clean the injectors every 30,000kms. Mine only has 17,000 so I told them I want the first one under warrenty. A bit of research shows quite a few people are having failed/poor injectors so I'll let you know the result when I get the car back on Friday.

Then I can finally put my new exhaust on :victory:, been sitting in my shed for a week now.

Yeah will do. I haven't even test driven a D22 yet or even looked inside one - i just bought it based on general opinion and reviews and the fact that it is such great value. Makes it all the more exciting to pick it up tomorrow!!

Let me know how you go with the zorst. Depending on how happy I am with the standard power, my medium-term plans are to put in a chip and maybe an exhaust to improve the power to get it up to standard with the latest common rail diesels. Given i am used to the 200kW D40 V6, there's a good chance I will want to up the ante a bit with the diesel....

Back