Lake Eyre and Cooper Creek

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosshog

Reaction score
The Simpson Desert 2010 – Water, Mud and a little bit of Sand too Trip Report

Hi all

Well we planned this trip many months ago when it was clear that Lake Eyre was gunna fill up again.

So I am taking the 'Boss' and 'tin lids' to see the water in the desert. We are doing a tour of the Flinders Ranges on the way up and staying at Clayton Station which is just shy of the now famous ferry crossing over the Cooper on the Birdsville Track (1990 was the last time the ferry ran)

Leaving this weekend and will be sure to post some pics for those of you who are unable to see Lake Eyre first hand. I have a 14" catamaran but the Boss won't let me tow it up there to enter the Lake Eyre Regatta that is current on :sad:

Gus

Last edited:
Hi hope you get to see the ol lake with a heap of water in it, its rare to see. We just got back fro a 3 week trip ourselves, we have a 1998 Navara dual cab and an Adria small van we travelled to Noccundra, dropped the van off behind the pub, and went on to Dig tree and Innaminka in the Nav, had a great time. Cant beat it eh. We are a cuppla grey Nomads Cheers

Oh jealous! i so want to get out there. not sure if i'll get the time off work before the lake is dry again. hope you have a great trip. looking forward to your photos.

Don't get too adventurous, when I was first here as a backpacker I put my FJ45 Troopie on the side of Lake Eyre Nth and got stuck, had to get some blokes from (I think, can't remember) William Creek to come pull us out, full day stuck doing nothing, they weren't too happy about it, but to their credit all they wanted from two skint backpackers was to shout a few rounds at the pub.
Memories

how did the trip go Bosshog ... I'm looking to do the Birsville track next year in April ...

I didn't get there as I had some self inflicted 'issues' with the Nav. Oops.

I trying for my second attempt on 1 September so I assure you I'll take some pics for you all.

Have fun mate. I just got back from 3 weeks up there. Freakin water, mud, bird life and vegetation everywhere! We did the Oodnadatta track only about a day after it reopened (closed due to rain) and went on through Hamilton Station to Mt Dare, then across the Simmo along the French Line. Just brilliant.

Yep we are off tomorrow morning, but can you believe it its raining the desert yet again. All roads likely to be closed again by tomorrow night or Friday. That being the case, we going up the Stuart HWY turning right at Kulgera across to Finke and down into Mt Dare from there.

So long as I got lots of red wine, food and diesel then once I am in there I couldn't care less if we get stranded by closed roads.

I'll take some pics and share em on my return in two weeks. Try not to miss me too much :laugh:

Gus

happy travels mate, have to take you up on some 4wding when ya get back!

jayk

Last edited:
Had a lot of rain up there in the last week or so....the boss may not get back for a while.
I’m trying to get up there myself on the 17th, but more rain on the way it'll be a wash out.

The Simpson Desert 2010 – Water, Mud and a little bit of Sand too Trip Report

We participated in a party of seven vehicles which departed Pt Augusta on 3 September. We made our way to Roxby Downs and spied SA’s floral emblem in full bloom, Sturt Desert Pea, alongside the black top on the way. We threw down some lunch and then aired down our tyres as we hit the Borefield track.
P1000762.jpg

P1000775.jpg

No sooner had we commenced our easy drive along the Borefield track when dark clouds rolled. We continued on getting 55 kms out from Roxby when the ranger called us back urgently. If we didn’t get out now we’d be stuck for four days.
P1000788.jpg

Last edited:
So we reluctantly headed back to Roxby when the heavens opened up. Sheets and I mean sheets of rain fell in seconds and the clay track turned to slippery ice! We crabbed our way back to Roxby with muddy water pouring over the windscreen. My D40 developed a ‘noise’ 10 kms after we turned back!
P1000799.jpg

P1000806.jpg

We then resigned ourselves to the blacktop and headed to Glendambo for the night. We set up camp and the heavens opened up again- this time with gale force winds. Spend the night in the tent with it lying flat on us as it could not stand up in the wind. We did stay dry though.

Next morning all tracks were now closed so we continued up the Stuart Hwy to Marla via Coober Pedy. By Cadney Park I had determined that the ‘noise’ was my left front strut, so we pulled over and check it out. Bush on the bottom of the strut was stuffed and it was a case of metal on metal. I decided to ignore it and push on.
P1000827.jpg

We camped at Marla under the stars, which was a great sign. In the morning, I managed to photo this before we got the clearance to head down the Oodnadatta Track to Oodnadatta.
P1000843.jpg

Last edited:
We lunch and refuelled at the Pink Road House before trying to make our way to Mt Dare
P1000892.jpg

The track deteriorated and our progress slowed to a crawl due to water and mud. We got to Eringa Waterhole on dusk and called it a day. I highly recommend this camp site!! We camped “under a Coolabah tree alongside a billabong”.
P1000898.jpg

P1000903.jpg

Next day we pushed to Mt Dare through water, water, mud, mud, and more water! We got our first vehicle bogged.
P1000950.jpg

P1000963.jpg

P1000964.jpg

But we made it to Mt Dare for a coldie or three!! The next day we’d be heading to Dalhousie and the Simo...
P1000968.jpg

Latest posts

Back