Lakes Entrance 90 mile beach

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jump on the Princes Highway and heat east you'll get there eventually. Suppose to be fairly good weather this weekend and the windy annoying weather we had this week wont effect the beaches down there so fishing ought to be good too.

Woohoo!! We've just confirmed plans for a trip down to the Lakes area for this weekend. We're heading off the beaten track near Nowra Nowra and straight down the beach to a little spot which will hopefully be secluded but has some great deep holes for salmon. Not sure if we are staying the night yet but the provisions will be there for a night of shark hunting with a rising tide as well.

Bring on the sunshine and maybe the moonshine!!

Nice work mate, don't look for the signs for Nowra Nowra, you won't see any.

Nowa Nowa you will though. :p Want pics of all the gummies!

Woohoo!! We've just confirmed plans for a trip down to the Lakes area for this weekend. We're heading off the beaten track near Nowra Nowra and straight down the beach to a little spot which will hopefully be secluded but has some great deep holes for salmon. Not sure if we are staying the night yet but the provisions will be there for a night of shark hunting with a rising tide as well.

Bring on the sunshine and maybe the moonshine!!

You should do well at that spot.
I'm guessing the same spot we pickedup up several gummies 3 weeks ago on our 10 day xmas migration to the lakes area, though our usual bream count was nil from Lk Tyers.
Water level is low specially in the upper reaches and no fish.
Lake desperately needs a flush.

And i by no means like crowds, but for that time of year it was surprisingly pretty easy going, have seen it worse anyway,
but i normally spend a few weekends there around the cooler/ offpeak times and get the whole place to myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought of that last night actually but I knew where I was. I used to go to Norwa alot when I was in Sydney, but I never thought it was good enough to double up.

I'll settle for Nowa Nowa and since we bypass Lakes these days when we are going further east I should be able to find it because it's at the end of the road before we come back onto the Princes Hwy. We have to go about 20 ks east of Nowa Nowa before we get to our track so I'm sure the Australia day holiday makers wont be bothering us, if they do they better not be fishing there might not be enough for all of us.

We used to find that Lake Tyres was good fishing until the entrance opened but it never used to open this early. When we first started using Tyres for fishing and prawns we'd be down there mid Feb and the lake would be high enough to be over the first jetty and the prawns and first were everywhere. If you were there on the right night you might catch the prawns on the run out into the ocean and there wasn't a net big enough to get them all but then about 10 years ago some moron decided not to let nature take its course and open the entrance and dug it open with shovels when it only had about 20 feet to break through. Some experts suggested that opening the lake artificially screwed the natural cycle so badly that the lake would take 20 years to recover. I don't believe every expert enviro nut but I do know that since then fishing and prawning in lake Tyres has never been the same, there is still fish and prawns there but no where near what there used to be.

Funny you should say that, the lake/ocean has been opened up manually on many occasions. I remember going down to watch it as a kid. Was quite a spectacle back then!

I think the fisheries may have even been responsible for saying when it had to open? I remember the lake used to get a bit gunked up sometimes, maybe that determined it?

Yeah they did it based on what they understood to be right based on years of study and as you say because the system was clogging itself. The idiots that did it with shovels did it about 24 hours before the natural occurrence would have happened anyway.

Another issue the requires Tyres to be opened is the influx of fresh water from the mountains, heavy rains up in the mountains and rains in the off season can mean the lake opens early but if the lake doesn't open naturally and the lower lake gets a lot of fresh water in it then one obvious effect is the salt water fish die. To prevent this the fisheries monitor the fresh water and if the lake doesn't open itself when the levels get to a certain point they will open it, but they also have a fair idea when the lake will open naturally too, so they don't need some moron with a shovel helping them

At present the level at Burnt Bridge is over a metre below where the bridge deck used to be,
is very warm and has patches of algae on the banks and has a dead smell around it and no fish in the area's that have always been productive for duskies and bream over the past decade.

It was up very high several years ago but found it had been artificialy drained when i was there at the 08-09 xmas hols, but it fished spectacularly well for both duskies and bream from the bank on the Nowa Nowa Arm day and more so into the dark hours.

Found a shell grit/pebbley shore line where the small crabs were hiding in the shallows to which the big bream were comming in shallow to feed on at night. Some of the bream we caught and some lost those nights where the biggest fish I've seen in my days.

In total contrast 3 weeks ago, that shell grit shoreline is completly covered in a thick weed like covering, has a pungent smell and no fish.

I would say though, the fish are still there but are staying in the cooler deeper parts of the lake.

Need lot of rain inflow to bring up the level and open up to the sea for a good cleanout.

Thats exactly right and nature used to take its course around Feb/March. I haven't been keeping up with Tyres as much as I used to so not sure when it opens these days but there used to be many spots up stream which were accessible by boat or by the tracks leading down from the highway that were like you describe and were equally as productive but once the weed and algae move in the fish really do go into hiding and make fishing there hard work.

We were there last year and they reckoned fishing was going off up the Nowa Nowa arm up near Morgans and then again past the Aboriginal reserve yet while the levels and the cleanliness was better up there than up Toorloo Arm the fishing really wasn't brilliant, bait sat in the water all day and we really had to work the lures along the banks to get anything decent.

Want pics of all the gummies!

Sorry no gummies, we got a few half decent salmon late in the arvo but they were nothing worth boasting about, we've caught heaps bigger down at Bemm River. The day wasn't ideal and the wind picked up over night which made the day less enjoyable so we headed home not long after dark because we'd had enough.

We are however going down to a nice deep hole sort of near Seaspray this weekend for gummies though. According to the tides it's a good time, according to the weather it's fairly good, according to the moon it's really good and according to the fishing bible Wednesday and Thursday are good days to be fishing and Friday and Saturday are excellent so with all that in our favour I'm sure we will come home with nothing. Oh well gotta be in it to win it I'm sure.

Latest posts

Back