Long range fuel tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but I fill up at a local truck stop.

The truckies are usually keen for a chat and a whinge about the RTA inspectors and Police. Lol.

So it ain't so bad standing there filling up.

Its all good.

I usually use the normal bowser as the high flow ones froph to much. Hope thats the right spelling, long days will do that.

I am on a computer, even though Google is a new window away. I was to lazy. Lol.

How you been Andrew. Telstra has been flat out.

NBN Co took out 1100 pair's and 2 firbe's at Rutherford on Sunday. Lol.

I discovered a new "high flow" outlet. First saw it at the BP just near Hobart Airport, sign said "Hi Flow Diesel" so I get out, open up, lift the nozzle ... and stuff me if it is so bloody large that it won't fit in the neck of the filler pipe.

There was also a high flow at my last fill that flowed a little faster than expected. I got about 30L into the tank then it backwashed on me. BP at Heatherbrae's high flow - maybe a little too high.

Think I'll fill at the Shell truck port at Hexham and try theirs again. Haven't had a problem with them in the past, but I haven't filled there since the aux tank was installed. Might be something about the fuel transfer between the two tanks that causes it - I'll see how it goes. Should be another week or so before I need to fill up again.

Got to go to Singleton tomorrow, think Ill fill up at the Shell at Greta. 650km's on this tank so far.

Out of interest, whats everyone get towing 2.5T ?

I reckon the shape of the 2.5t will have a lot to do with consumption.

A big sail like a full size van has he potential to use more fuel than say 2.5t of rock or gold pressed latinum IMO.

What I find uses the most fuel is anything below top gear. If I have to climb hills, stop at traffic lights etc then our consumption goes up.

That we only used 17LPHK between Kulgera and Erldunda @ 125km/h points to aerodynamics playing less of a role than traffic, where we'll easily pass 20LPHK.

worst i've got is 13.7l/ph towing a tandem bike trailer with 5 trailbikes and 5 100kg blokes with camping gear from brisbane to yarramam. Had no concern about fuel usage going over hills or even on the flat, long range tank would be greatr for any trip longer than that.

I am about purchase a long range tank but need some thoughts as to the best built and if I get a 145ltr anyone know how much ground clearance I would lose? I'm looking at tough dog and iron man...Do they make a long ranger? Local ARB only offered aux 70ltr tank.

The "Long Ranger" is a brand, the tank is manufactured by Out Of Town 4WD in Barnesly near Newcastle. This company is also the company that owns ARB Newcastle, who installed mine.

As an auxiliary tank I've noticed two things that you could say bad about it: first, I can't use high flow pumps any more. Once the auxiliary starts to fill a little, the diesel blows back out the tube very easily. I'll mention it to the guys and see what they say about that.

The second thing is that the fuel gauge in my dash doesn't move until the aux tank is empty and I've started using the main tank (there's no switch over or anything, it just happens that way). In a way that's not a terrible thing - I was quite accustomed to the way my fuel gauge reflected certain amounts of fuel remaining, so I am reasonably certain that once the gauge reaches a certain point, I have so much distance left before I need to refuel.

The good points: plenty. It's easy, it's up out of the way, I don't need to do anything or worry about it in any way. It doesn't interfere with suspension or other stuff underneath, nothing had to be moved or adjusted. It sits close to and in front of the rear axle so the extra weight doesn't change the balance of the car too much.

Good points old.tony, I'll be looking at an aux tank soon, gotta keep up with the distances my mates in poo-trols are getting.

Looked at the long ranger ones from arb. Didn't realise they had to be compliance plated. This makes it the next thing on the to do list over the roof racks. Arb want $1400+ for supply and fit

Latest posts

Back