Loose steering

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah its in the steering box my nav has 3000kms on it has slop. my old rodeo had heaps of slop adjusted the steering box and wala perfect. But like i said my nav has had it from new so im guessing thats the standard play in nav

Ok I have owned my Nav as well.

yes there is a bit of play in the steering.

I always had trouble with alignments ( does this sound familiar )feathered front left hand tyre constantly.

my Nav once fitted with 265 x 75 x16 followed the road more.

UNTIL I recently put on a steering box brace !!!

Huge changes overall for $100-00 makes a lot of difference .

Like this one >

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-N...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337372d3a6

Last edited:
I tightend my steering box up a few months back, made a fair bit of difference but didnt get rid of it completely, thanks for that info micksnavara might look into one of them, probly should with the bigger rubber any way. oh and i have replaced the drag link.

bryan

I tightend my steering box up a few months back, made a fair bit of difference but didnt get rid of it completely, thanks for that info micksnavara might look into one of them, probly should with the bigger rubber any way. oh and i have replaced the drag link.

bryan

Who did you buy your drag link off? Snake racing and 4wd1 have them for around $200, then there is one one ebay for 90 bucks. Im guessing nissan would be the dearest!

Pete

Nissan quoted me $530. My nav is suffering all symptoms "micksnavara" stated. I'm looking into drag link, tierod ends, idler arm. Will update after all in. Don't forget to check lower and upper ball joints, my lowers were also shot.

Hey guys, I noticed mine doing it only recently and will be getting a idler arm brace off eBay to help with the slop.

MineS got 5500ms on it and it's heaps worse than new. My old rodeo had the same steering setup and it wasn't as bad as the nav and it had 280000 kms on it

Had a good look at the drag link on my nav and found that on full lock the drag link trys to rotate backwards. I think thats why d22's have steering issues from new, the tie rod mount and idler/steering box arms are to close together on the drag link to be stable. Also the idler arm does flex a little.

Hey ya'll

i'm having the same issues with mine as well after putting it in to get what I thought was needed which was a wheel alignment to be told that my drag link has excessive play. I got to this because I had some 33's on it which didn't even last 20k..

Ive read heaps of comments about drag links, tie rods, idler arms, steering boxes but can't seem to come across one comment that says how to eradicate this problem.. I'm looking at putting some coopers on next but want to stop my tyre wear from happening before I do so..

any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

My nav is only 1034kms old!! an it has had slop since it left the dealership 2 weeks ago. I was a little worried until I read this topic and it seems that's how they are.. How hard is it to take the slop out using that hex head bolt on the steering box?? Easy to get to/ have to remove other parts? Time it will take to do, etc.

Is it a permanent fix? If a simple tightening of one bolt makes the slop disappear why aren't they like that from the showroom floor?? I would doubt very highly that any of the steering components are already worn on such a new car. How many people have done this and did anyone take any pics?? Cheers in advance

i have the same problems with my steering.
tightened up the steering box... didn't really change a thing...

im keen to see if anyone has a permanent solution.

Hate to rebirth an old thread but am wondering what's the best way to tell what is worn and what's not, as in I have noticed since going off road last I have a lot of play and under brakes the steering tends to pull ever so slight left, I know I have a bent tie rod but it feels like free play from one if not both wheels.
I believe it's the drag link but could it be the idler arms as well or both?? I'd just don't know how to tell the difference. Cheers Steve.

Also can anyone tell me if all steering parts are the same throughout pre and post 08?? As ZD30 - 2.5TD

Cheers Steve

They should be. The entire suspension is the same, so I don't see why they'd change the steering system... Then again, it is Nissan, so any things possible......

Latest posts

Back