Lost all power - orange light on 09 STR

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo

Reaction score
Just when I'm getting all excited about my new suspension and how reliable this truck is, I get total loss of power and orange light on dash.
Is this limp mode ? Bad fuel ? I just filled up yesterday.
If I restart, I get all power back, but orange light is still on, and then power loss after a few minutes.
It's dirty fuel, isn't it ? I've kept receipts and I always use same service station.
I'll ring up Nissan service tomorrow, anyone have any ideas ?

What does the light look like? A little picture of an engine or a kinda bucket thing with a droplet coming out the bottom? If the second one, it is water in the fuel filter. Easy enough to drain, there is a little tap on the bottom of the filter to drain water from.

Ok. I'd still try draining the fuel filter anyway, i don't suppose you can get hold of a scan tool of some description to check the codes?

I'm going to reset ecu, (disconnect battery and try starting) then I'll give up and go visit Nissan.

I agree with Bods mate re the codes, I did help a bloke a while ago with the same drama's. He had corrosion around the earth terminal causing the same thing. Would be nice if you could let us know what the issue is when it's solved mate, my thoughts are just a stab in the dark and probably unrelated.

Wish I could, but I have no idea how to !
Fuel filter is on the passenger's side next to the air filter. On the bottom is a little tap which you turn until either water or diesel starts coming out. You will smell it if it is diesel.

As for the codes, there is a plug under the dash below the steering wheel. You plug an obd2 scan tool into this and it will tell you what the error code is.

I wouldn't reset the computer before checking the code, resetting it will clear it, but it would be good to know what it is first...

Well, I've reset it, lights gone and power seems to be restored. Haven't driven it much though, let's see what happens tomorrow. I had a similar issue 2 years ago, but I can't remember the light appearing on dash. Just like 2 years ago, today I started car and left engine to idle for about 10 minutes or more, as I was on phone. I don't see how both can be related, but I usually warm up engine by hitting switch on dash and letting it rev at 2k rpm for a while.

As said above, there is a procedure on here on how to get codes out of the ECU.
It works.
No point guessing what is wrong, a code will tell you straight away.

Thank you Tonyd22, I didn't realise you're able to get codes without any further equipment!
I drove car this morning, no problems at all. Then I left it idling for a few minutes, and same issue. No power, unable to rev above 3k rpm.. Restart motor and it's back to normal again. It's done 3 times today and no lights appearing on the dash this time.
I'm sure it's something to do with the the turbo but it wouldn't need replacing already ? (120k on the clock)
All suggestions welcomed :-(

nah its definitely not the turbo, ive had so many small weird problems with my D40 which is currently rusting out the front of my house because of a similar limp mode issue, theres so many things it could be which is what annoys me the most, Nissan told me it was the injectors and wanted 4 grand, this is after my mechanic brought up an EGR valve malfunction code but Nissan didn't want to listen at all, ive been told and read its something that revolves around fuel like 'fuel pump, fuel rail pressures too high or too low which could be suction control valve busted or needs a service, injection pump sensors, EGR valve connections dirty or corroded orrrrrr the expensive one injectors. ive been on here madly trying to see if anyones found a solution before I spend 5-6 grand replacing parts till I hit the right one. good luck and let us know if u find the fix! haha

I also dropped the turbo at one stage completely but all it was in the end was the vacuum lines to the turbo where cracked and corroded, been a testing little vehicle this one

Yes, I've come to conclusion its that dreaded "limp mode". It's now fine again, I've done close to 5k km and running like a dream again.
I've been reading up about competing Utes with a view to upgrade from Navara, and it's happening even to VW Amarok. Similar complaints, limp mode with no explanation.
Anyway, my trucks done close to 120k now, so I'm happy to drive it until it blows up :) Don't get me wrong, I service and look after it, but I'm not going to spend silly money on all the suggestions from Nissan service. Hence why I ask here, if you guys don't have a definitive answer, I doubt the boys at Nissan would.
By the way, other then a tyre change at 70k and Zordo suspension a few months ago, I've changed nothing on the car. It really is a fantastic 4wd and probably would consider buying the same model if Nissan reintroduced it AGAIN.

nah its definitely not the turbo, ive had so many small weird problems with my D40 which is currently rusting out the front of my house because of a similar limp mode issue, theres so many things it could be which is what annoys me the most, Nissan told me it was the injectors and wanted 4 grand, this is after my mechanic brought up an EGR valve malfunction code but Nissan didn't want to listen at all, ive been told and read its something that revolves around fuel like 'fuel pump, fuel rail pressures too high or too low which could be suction control valve busted or needs a service, injection pump sensors, EGR valve connections dirty or corroded orrrrrr the expensive one injectors. ive been on here madly trying to see if anyones found a solution before I spend 5-6 grand replacing parts till I hit the right one. good luck and let us know if u find the fix! haha

You can get cheap Bluetooth readers and the free torque app for checking codes, as well as monitoring boost, temp etc.

I've now got a OBD2 BT adapter and I've downloaded all the apps on an android phone. Next time it happens I'm prepared.

Latest posts

Back