Master cylinder swap?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman

Reaction score
Well i am now well and truly sick of the rubbish brakes on the D40. Its not that they are bad as such. There is so much pedel travel before anything happens that its really annoying. I think they make a 'feature' of it and call it progressive pedel. Crap design would be more correct!
Second issue is because the rear drums are not self adjusting they need to be adjusted every two or three thousand km which is a pain or the pedel travel becomes dangerous. When i press the brake pedel i want, no expect the brakes to be there.
So what can i do?
I am thinking for starters is braided flexies and extra bity pads. Then perhaps a different master cylinder??? If i understand how it all works a certain amount of fluid must be pumped at a cerain pressure to provide a certain amount of braking force. In this way a cylinder of larger bore would pump the required amount but in a shorter stroke with less effort.
Anyone know what cylinder might be a possible sub? Patrol perhaps? It is a simple single circuit system.
I am open to any and all ideas!
Anything that gets rid of the horrid spongy feel would be a real bonus.

For what its worth my 1960s camper with drums all round will easly out brake the nav. Food for thought

I know its been a long time since you posted but I agree with your assessment of the brakes. They are rubbish. So recently I decided to find out if they could be fixed. Seriously when towing big trailers I was really worried at times.

So i had the master cylinder sleeved with stainless/tested the vacuum/replaced the rotors with slotted/Bendix Ultimate pads/rear drums machined/new linings/ new fluid pumped through.

The result. Brakes are still crap. My 97 Navara would outbrake the D40 any day.

Yes been down a similar road and as i do quite alot of towing it pisses me off. Now i just stand on the pedal out of habit so when i drive the wifes car i keep slamming on the brakes!
Not really sure what can be done other than replace the whole lot with something custom. Read mega expensive. Its just a shit setup from the start, first year design student stuff let out onto the market.

Latest posts

Back