Matte black vinyl car wrap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its pretty durable. My guess is it will take the hits from bush pin stripes etc but if you jamb a stick against it it may rip.

You can purchase rolls of it off eBay. Thinking about grabbing a small roll and doing some practices etc

Its pretty durable. My guess is it will take the hits from bush pin stripes etc but if you jamb a stick against it it may rip.

You can purchase rolls of it off eBay. Thinking about grabbing a small roll and doing some practices etc

I see. I'm also thinking about experimenting. Considering doing the bonnet scoop, to go with the silver/black scheme of my Nav.

The material is quite robust, it will mark up just as paint work would but the beauty of it is if 1 panel is scratched, vandalized or crash damaged you can strip it off and re-wrap it no need for costly re-sprays.
I would recommend hand wash only, jet wash safe from 12" but don't use the drive through car washes with the bristles.
There's lots of differant types of vinyl available on the net, don't be fooled into getting a cheap 1, the cheap stuff is alot harder to work with, doesn't stretch, won't take much heat and will gradually creep back after time. It will also cost more in the long run. I use 3m direct from them, best stuff I've come across.
Finally the paint work has to be good underneath, any imperfections will be magnified once its wrapped, dents, rust etc need sorting beforehand. I always clay bar a vehicle before any vinyl goes near it.

I have a mate that own a buisness that does vinyl wrap he said take ur time and a heat gun is ur friend he is wraping my race d22 for me when I have finished it

Plastidip would be a heap easier for the same price.

Flog the wrap and use plastidip, you have a decent colour choice then as well

In Sydney, try Brand Right sign and print 9625 7446 ask for Luke.
He did his Merc van in matt black and has a YouTube clip up somewhere showing it being done. He has done a jeep and a couple of others.
No connection to me, but I have seen the van and its awesome.
Thinking of doing my 34 Chev...

Plastidip would be a heap easier for the same price.

Flog the wrap and use plastidip, you have a decent colour choice then as well

This dude speaks the truth. I looked right into it, and if i was going to go ahead with anything it would be plastidipping it. Search for it on youtube or the www.dipyourcar.com site.

417284_444805338890818_1005002533_n_zps54cda665.jpg

If its good enough for a GTR, then its good enough for our Navs. Now this stuff might set you back about 1k buying it here, would only be $300 or so in the states.

Hey Lads,

We have just finished spraying my truck in Plastidip... it's a pretty awesome product but there is a real art to applying it.

Some photos...

Preparation

IMG_1756-1_zps5b2eea96.jpg

IMG_1752_zpscfbe0527.jpg

Peeling some dip that didn't go on as well as we wanted... this stuff is tough!
A 100mm peel away form the truck will yeild about 15-20m of peel on the dip... this stuff is super stretchy.

IMG_1762_zpsca36f4f5.jpg

IMG_1768_zpscede49a8.jpg

The truck with a few coats on it...

photo1-7_zps5030b98b.jpg

And then the finished product... sorry for the shitty wet weather photos.

photo1-9_zps20b56c7b.jpg

photo3-5_zpsa7d4a0c3.jpg

photo2-8_zps81423a58.jpg

photo4-4_zpsfe9e4c19.jpg

photo1-12_zps6171aa5e.jpg

Swapped out the wheels and tyres as well... These are Method Race Race Wheels "Double Standards" ... trying to get some in a stud pattern to suit the Navara D40s, but it might take a while.

photo3-11_zps81964650.jpg

Pretty happy with how it turned out... if anyone is interested in getting thier truck Plastidipped drop me a line.

We have guys who can do it in Sydney and Melbourne and other states shouldn't be far off either.

Cheers,
Matt

photo4-8_zpsc22527ba.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack... Might be best to start a new thread on the Plastidip if you guys have questions etc.

We will dip my original wheels as well over the bext week or so as well.

photo2-13_zpsbfbf1c14.jpg

Cheers,
Matt

How much did it cost you for the dip? Did you buy the full kit with the spray gun etc. or just buy the dip?

Morticus,

If you refer to the "DipMyCar" kits out of the US (Fonzie on YouTube etc) you can not buy them and import them into Australia.
The plastidip itself is a dangerous good and you to air freight it is stupidly expensive.
The DipMyRide guys won't export either... so you need to buy the product locally.

We wasted a lot of product trialling and testing to get the finish of the plastidip right... so it the end after all the trial end error I think that you will need about 20 litres of pre-thinned product to get a nice thick covering on your truck... plus the wastage.

The drive in drive out price will be around $1500 to have it professionally sprayed.

The product is about $225 a tin, and you will need 5 tins minimum plus the spray gun.

Cheers,
Matt

Anybody know if you get the 3M vinyl in Australia? All the lists on eBay are in the states and shipping is around $150!

YBOD
Just look up any sign supplier in the Yellow Pages.
Spandex is one that comes to mind look them up on the web.
There is plenty more around the country. Im a retired signwriter and this thread has got me interested in doing my Nav

Latest posts

Back