Matte black vinyl car wrap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanz302

Reaction score
Ok here something a little different to the normal body lifts or can i fitt 33in tyres ! I had my navara for a couple of years now the paint is getting scratched and is starting to look a bit shabby. i don't want to go to the trouble of having it cut and polished or even have it repainted. so i have a look around and a bit of a think about it and found some matte black vinyl wrap on ebay. So i've got my self a 30m roll and i'm going to give it a crack.
has anyone done vinyl wrap to there nav and if so how does it stand up ?
any imfo and tips on how to fit it would be great. If anyone has any pics of any navs that have been done please post and what does everyone think ?

Haven't seen any Nav's done but have seen plenty of cars and it can look ok if done right. I'm just glad it's you being the pioneer and not me...good luck.

Depending on how well you want the job done, i had a quote for 7.5k... Can do it yourself and save some dosh, but it might not look as nice. Look on youtube. I saw some step by steps on it too, some included heating tricky areas and such. Cant wait to see it done though, put some pics up!

I think or a full respray done properly its around 13-15k. Also, if you pay someone to do it, there is a 7 year warranty on the vinyl. Heres a navara for you - apparently he did it himself, but doesn't say how or what he does for work.

NAVFRONT.jpg

SAM_0308.jpg

NAVSIDEON.jpg

Last edited:
Ok thats looks cool my a d22 so will look a little different. i live about 1200ks away from the nearest mayor city if you can call darwin a major city. So i'll be fitting the wrap myself. Thats why i got 30m so i'll have plenty if i make a mistake. I got the wrap off ebay for $400 and checked out some of the vids on youtube the experts make it look easy guess i'll find out :blingbling:

Last edited:
to do the job properly is going to take a good day day and a half - if you've got the right vinyl it will be a WHOLE LOT easier as it will stretch on the curves. Good luck - it will look great!

Actually the UK site has a number of wrapped cars someone who frequents the site more than I do might remember the cammo D40 and the flamed D40.

There is a camo D40 getting around newcastle, also has the business name on the side.
Id love to do it, but i don't have nearly enough patience and cant justify paying someone else to do it. But as said previously, the 3m stuff should be pretty god, and will stretch where its needed. Good luck!

Mine is getting a 3/4 wrap next week with the business logo.

Ill see if i can get some tips

Cheers
Chado

Not sure if this thread is still live or not but I've accidently stumbled across it and the wrapped D40 above was mine until I sold it. I it myself using the 3M wrap, took 2 days. If anyone would like more info pm me

Thanks

The Elk

hey elk,
must be funny stumbling accross this thread!

i dont personally have any future plans for this but it would be interesting to know a bit more about it.

cost, how did you go about the fitting, were you happy with it, and how did it look after being on the car for a while?

Hey there

It was strange yes, I googled the D40 to show a customer and it came up to my suprise which led me to this site!!
I wrap vehicles, tint windows and install audio so I did it myself. The vinyl is a cast vinyl from 3m, if you don't use a cast vinyl it will always try to shrink back to its original form once its on the vehicle. It comes with a 7yr warranty and looked exactly the same after 2 yrs when I sold it. It is 1 of the more expensive vinyls but it lasts and is a lot easier to work with. It cost me £300.00 with very little waste. It requires gently warming to get the stretch around the curves, I took bumpers off, window seals, door handles etc!
IMO as good a finish as respray but you get the paint underneath protected and can peel it off whenever you get bored of the colour!!
Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else.

Elk, is the wrap completely removable without leaving any residue? While I can't afford it right now I can't help thinking that its worth putting it on while the truck s brand new and then in a few years time when I come to sell her I simply peel it off and hey presto she looks like new for sale.

Also, how opaque is the film. Could I for example wrap a white ute with yellow film and it look properly yellow or would the white still show through?

Cheers

I would say 90% of the time it comes straight off, worse case you might need to put a light t-cut or rubbing compound on. Alot of people do apply the vinyl as a kind of paint protection on new cars, some even have a completely clear vinyl so you can't even tell its on!
Once it is applied it completely covers any colour underneath regardless of what combination of colours are used.
The vinyls are getting much better now with Matt, Pearl finishes available it is practically impossible to tell its been wrapped when done properly! Plus with no need to inform authorities of the colour change as its not permanent, it is seen as a big decal!

So thats what it is!!!
I saw a triton in the bush few weeks ago wrapped up in what seemed this vinyl stuff. This one had like a pattern on it of some sort, almost like a fiber glass pattern. I freaked out as i've never seen a paint job like that before, but now this thread explains everything.

This stuff is rel6 interesting and I have grown to like it. Its seems simple to install and has its advantages. I was thinking of doing the bonnet in a flat black or Matt black to take the sun reflection off it. Also the same on the brothers patrol as its peeling and pitted

I'm also pretty keen as well. The air in Gladstone is pretty rife with industry waste and other nasty stuff, and working at the refinery, there's the odd chance of a Caustic Blowout, which is absolute death for aluminum and paint work.

Plus, you know, it could be pretty cool.

How do the vinyl wraps stand up to a bit of bush bashing? How thick is the actual wrap? How easy is it to keep clean?

Latest posts

Back