Metal Clunking noise in front Suspension

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Guys.....
Just after some advice here..... when I was out bush the other day, I noticed when I was going up dirt roads that have the hump across the road to prevent erosion, that when I go over these humps and the suspension dropped down/up I noticed a clunking type of sound coming from the front end. WHAT CAN THIS BE?

Scenario:

1. In 2WD (hubs out)
2. Steering straight ahead (noise not the steering stops)
3. Running Std TB up front
4. running OME Front Shocks.

I've had a pretty good look under the front end and can't see any rub marks, etc. TB mounting/bolts all looked tight. The bump stops are there still and I could see the wear marks where they had been making contact.

I can't think of what else it could be..... any ideas??

how old are the front shocks?
did the noise happen when the shocks were opening? or being compressed?

The age is unknown as OME shocks were already on there when I bought the car....
As far as when the sound happens, it's a bit hard to say.....

Shocks topping/bottoming out is the only the other thing that I can think of but would be very surprised if thats it due to the limitation of travel from the bumpstops..... might remove them to check their condition.....

Mine has always had a clunking/snapping sound similar to what you've described, I believe it may be the sway bar.

Mine has always had a clunking/snapping sound similar to what you've described, I believe it may be the sway bar.

Swaybars..... I never really thought about them..... would have expected to see some rub marks or something....

Last edited:
I had the same problem in my Nav but Zordo found the problem for me and I have since fixed it....... If it is the same problem the nut on the tie rod closest to the idler arm will be hitting a piece of metal that is part of the top bump stop assembly when the is a sudden small or large drop off... This problem is basically invisible to find unless you see it happen but luck for me Zordo had a good look and pointed it out. i have since welded the metal back and re welded the seam

I had the same problem in my Nav but Zordo found the problem for me and I have since fixed it....... If it is the same problem the nut on the tie rod closest to the idler arm will be hitting a piece of metal that is part of the top bump stop assembly when the is a sudden small or large drop off... This problem is basically invisible to find unless you see it happen but luck for me Zordo had a good look and pointed it out. i have since welded the metal back and re welded the seam

Any chance of getting a couple pics so I know exactly where to look.... would be much appreciated :)

Cheers....
RobM

I had a knock, mine was shocks.

Question. Car turned off, on flat ground, bounce the front, as hard as possible, a few times. Do your hear it then?

I too have a knocking sound, it happens mainly at speed on a bad road turning right, seems to be coming from right and sounds like somethings loose, however nothing is

Worst part about the noise I get is it sounds just like a CV giving up! I might look into what Sunny Coaster is talking about but because mine happens at such low speeds it leads me to think it's my sway bar.

PS. Post No. 1000 for me, no post whore here! :cheers!:

Brad

Worst part about the noise I get is it sounds just like a CV giving up! I might look into what Sunny Coaster is talking about but because mine happens at such low speeds it leads me to think it's my sway bar.

PS. Post No. 1000 for me, no post whore here! :cheers!:

Brad

Yeah, its not a CV in this situation as I was in 2WD and Hubs unlocked....

Well, I'm still trying to locate this metal clunking sound, so I thought I'd jack up the front RHS suspension to see if I could see anything (BTW: these TB IFS front ends don't give much travel - 55mm drop).

I took the following pics which I'm after some info as to whether this is common or not......

The 1st thing I noticed was that the Rubber boot on the front OME shock when the wheel is at full extension seems to be rubbing on the upper control arm. It even looks like it may have rubbed through and this might be where the sound is coming from....

Front_RHS_suspension005_zps02b1b72c.jpg

Front_RHS_suspension007_zps97060bad.jpg

Front_RHS_suspension009_zpsdce581e0.jpg

Front_RHS_suspension008_zps6ce1defd.jpg

These pics are of the upper control arm bushes. I've noticed with the front & rear bushes there seems to be quite a gap when the travel is at its max. When car is sitting normally the gap is even. I assume there's a metal sleeve inside the bush that prevents the bush from moving around.

Pics with suspension at full travel:
Rear one(notice the gap):
Front_RHS_suspension003_zps581a490a.jpg

Front one(notice the gap):
Front_RHS_suspension002_zps11fda432.jpg

With suspension sitting normally
Rear one(notice the gap):
Front_RHS_suspension_normal005_zps81b63e2b.jpg

Front one(notice the gap):
Front_RHS_suspension_normal004_zpsbc6ca9bb.jpg

The shocks are normal, has been mentioned a million times before.

Can't tell you about the control arms sorry

You might find its your control arm ball joints. I had a horrendous noise develop on one side, squeaking as well as clunking though, but only noticeable over bumps at low speed, and it turned out to be the lower control arm ball joint was flogged out. Replaced with a Repco version, did another 40k km, and then started to get just the knocking sound again. Thought it was the other side which I had not replaced, so did those, they were not too bad. Turns out it was the replacement ones flogged out again. If you're going to do the lower ball joint though, it can be a mission if you do not have the right tools to press it out, and a bit of heat. But the only way to tell is to unload the Torsion bars so they are not pulling down on it while its jacked up keeping it firm. I did top and bottom both sides this time all at once. The lower ones are more expensive, about 60 to 80 RRP I think, but with a decent discount card at repco I think I got mine for 45 or something. Worth a look anyway.

Latest posts

Back