Mike Vine Turbos

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
Has anyone got a mike vine turbo upgrade done? I just gave them a call and am kinda halfway seriously considering the Garrett VNT upgrade they offer. If not then at least the billet internals and recondition.

from personal experience, he is as dodgy as they came.

a few years ago my brother had a new larger turbo installed and re-tuned to suit.

he over charged and seriously under delivered.

it actually made less power, was a rough tune that coughed and died at lights all the time and to top it all off a few weeks later we had a melted piston from his shitty lean tune.

See that's really weird, because he's (apparently) the best name in the turbo business. Even up here in Gladstone.

Also, what happened in the end?

One of the fellas on here (Jasons-Navara I think) went to him and is happy with the results...He priced the bigger Turbo they offer ($4k+) but went with the billet wheel instead.... He was happy with the results

One of the fellas on here (Jasons-Navara I think) went to him and is happy with the results...He priced the bigger Turbo they offer ($4k+) but went with the billet wheel instead.... He was happy with the results

Yeah I phoned them earlier and priced it up, a billet wheel and recondition would come in at $1200 if I remove and refit the turbo, and under $2k if I get them to do the labour, would only take them half a day or so.

Then around the $4k mark for a Garrett VNT upgrade, which supposedly hits full boost a good 1000rpm earlier, which should give it some amazing low down torque, and some impressive power under the right boot.

4k is a huge outlay. Surely you could buy the same turbo, fit it then get it tuned for far less?
Your Nav is chipped to isn't it Joshman? You can do the tuning yourself.

4k is a huge outlay. Surely you could buy the same turbo, fit it then get it tuned for far less?
Your Nav is chipped to isn't it Joshman? You can do the tuning yourself.

The difference is that you're going from a (stock) turbo with a mechanical waste gate and a fixed spool pressure release, to a Variable Nozzle Turbo, so there's the issue of control lines, sensors, complete new turbo housing and wheel (as opposed to just a new wheel), plus the fine tuning of a variable system.

There's a considerable amount of extra work involved with going to the bigger turbo.

For that money I'd be hoping for an extra 30-40% gain.

DO IT, .....I have had it done by Mike, best work ever, could not fault his work what so ever....now pumping out 646nm at the wheels, I have a dyno sheet under my gararge

We had our VNT Garrett Turbo fitted by Mike 15 months ago, and still running like a dream - best work EVER - Don't listen to that other gooses!!!
ppl shouldn't bag him as he is the best around - been doing it for over 30 + years so he is the one to go to!

For those interested in turbos..... a mates company is now in testing with a new high flow direct bolt on turbo for zd30 and yd25 turbo .... Hopefully installing one on mine within the next week!

Last edited:
For those interested in turbos..... a mates company is now in testing with a new high flow direct bolt on turbo for zd30 and yd30 turbo .... Hopefully installing one on mine within the next week!

Interested . . . depending on details of course.

Mike Vine is looking better and better. and i should be able to squeeze a bit more out of it after the diff ratio change.

hopefully all before easter. It should drive like a completely new truck in a few months

See that's really weird, because he's (apparently) the best name in the turbo business. Even up here in Gladstone.

Also, what happened in the end?

In the end, Mike Vine wanted absolutely nothing to do with us. He wiped his hands clean and never offered any further assistance after we paid him.

Basically we were left with a tune that made 30hp less, burnt holes in pistons and a much lighter wallet.

We had our VNT Garrett Turbo fitted by Mike 15 months ago, and still running like a dream - best work EVER - Don't listen to that other gooses!!!
ppl shouldn't bag him as he is the best around - been doing it for over 30 + years so he is the one to go to!
Did I call you a goose?

Joshman asked for peoples thoughts and experiences with MVT. I told him exactly what happened in my situation. I'm not arguing that he may or may not have done a good job on your car, however he certainly didn't do the "best work EVER" for me.

Would I want to take my car back there again or recommend his workmanship to anyone else? no.

Back