more shit luck

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al

LURKER
Reaction score
OK after just getting a gearbox failure at Christmas it now round 2 of navara shit. Coming home today up a hill i dropped it back a gear and went to accelerate around a slow car and immediately loss power and saw tons of black smoke. So pulled over and towed home. So the turbo gone.. great.

So tomorrow morning I'll pull off the intake hose and see if i can see which side of the turbo let go, fingers crossed exhaust side. I guess its a good thing that it was still running, but i guess its not always the case that that means it hasn't had metal go through the motor. Would you expect any damage to occur even if you don't hear it?

Anyone have any times a turbo go without needing major motor work? I guess the odds aren't high. There is noise coming from the turbo so its diffidently dead.

Anyone have some pointers on how to inspect the turbo and intake best?

@Forefront Industries, lets talk business.

Now to work out how i go getting to the job site Tuesday.

I remember Old Tony saying that if your running a intercooler chances are not much if any crap will make it thru to the motor.

I don't have any answers, just saying sorry to hear about your bad fortune.
Here's hoping its not gone into the engine.

No intercooler..something i have considered but with the stuff i have under the bonnet there is just no room so have always given it a miss.

Lets hope the hot side of the turbo went..ill be praying for you...on a d22 can you remove the turbo intake pipe via just a hose clamp??.id be gettin a torch and having a look now.you might see nothing..since its running(i assume well at idle) things might be o.k

Get that inlet air pipe off. It wont take long. If all the vanes on the compressor wheel look good no worries, apart from the hip pocket. Even if there a bit damaged so long as there all there and thing hasn't disintegrated just swap the turbo and your away.

Good Luck!

Mine let go but I wasn't going very fast,I did end up with rubbish sitting in the inlet pipe on top of the motor...I just changed the turbo and away I went with no problems...I did get a diesel mechanic come and look at it before I did the job and he said he has changed plenty of turbo's that had let go and never seen damage to a motor...Good luck with it...

thanks sparra, given me so hope. we'll see tomorrow i guess. can do without the cost of the worst case.

All you can do is take turbo off and see what sort of jigsaw puzzle you have. Any missing bits of blade have to be somewhere. Hopefully wont be any missing bits. How many kms?

As for no room what about top mount micro cooler?

Sorry to hear Al . Makes my ears prick , I have more Ks than you and I've been thinking of a small front mount cooler

might be ok

Ok it didn't take much to find the problem. Disappointed to find it on the intake side but its hard to see in the pic but its split in 2 down the middle and seems quickly stopped spinning. From what i can see the fins have bent over and not really separated or been trashed. I can't see any signs of metal in the intake hoses or around turbo exit port

Engine sounds fine idling without the turbo hooked up, blowing a fair bit of black smoke but i'd expect that considering how rich it would be running.

Opinons? anyone more experienced disagree? thanks, now to contact forefront

Last edited:
That looks like a very, very lucky break. I'd do three things, perhaps in this order:

1) Contact Forefront and get that new turbo

2) Grab the neighbour's XR6 and tell him you're fixing it, remove his intercooler and mount it behind your grille.

3) Get a turbo timer. A very common cause of turbocharger failure is hot shutdowns causing the oil to cook and destroy the bearings.

I found it hard to get the $1400 together to buy my intercooler but I saved and saved and finally got it and I'm glad I did. Best of luck Al with yours

spoke to al .....i instructed him on removing the compressor housing to see just how much of the compressor wheel is missing....then checking the cat for anymore pieces

its definitely weird how it bent like that....hopefully it hit the sides and stopped instantly

Where it is now after closer inspection... motor out now and dropped over to engine rebuilders. should be back on road by end next week depending on speed of rebuild and arrival of turbo.

Also wanted to mention the exceptional help from Jamie at forefront industries. He spend a long time on the phone with me in regards to inspecting properly the damage. Even though the end result wasn't what i hoped in regards to engine health, I am glad i didn't just fit the new turbo and go. It would of ended in more pain, least it will all be right. Only shame i'll be around 5-6K poorer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back