Mud or A/T

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggot3064

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 02 d22 that has a hwy tyres on it and are up for replacement!
I will be driving it on the black top about 90%of the time do have been advised to get A/T but I don't want to go bush and get caught out with needing more grip! People have been telling me that if I put muddies on they will chew out and need replacing after (approx) 40 thou k's! I just wanted to get the opinion off you guys that have them am how you find them and would it be worth me getting muddies or just sticking with A/T
Cheers chris

a few things to consider. you say 90% on road, but how many km do you travel a week or month? i do 800-1000km a month, so i wouldn't get M/T as the road noise would drive me nuts. if you don't drive it a whole lot, then muddies might be ok for you. also consider the terrain you drive when offroading. if all you do is find lots of slippery mud to play in, then muddies would be the go. if you do gravel roads, bush tracks with a range of terrains with some mud but not heaps, A/T's would suffice. I'd weigh up what you want from the tyre and where you're gonna take them and make a call from that

Get a set of KM2's then, they are still alright on the bitumen and pretty good offroad.

When I replaced my tires I got some MTs. Wasn't doing many kms because I had a work car, but since I changed jobs I now have to do about 400 to 500kms a week.

I really wish I had just gotten some nice ATs now. The extra noise gets to me some days and others not so much. I don't think they will wear real well either now.

They are great when I'm out 4x4ing but I dont think they make up enough for the amount of time I have to listen to them on the highway.

Just my thoughts any way.

Yeah mine is driven daily to and from work which is about about 300ks a week and that's not including weekend driving

I went threw 2 full sets of mud terrains and eventually gave up and went back to A/T. Only getting 40000k from tyres just works out too expensive if you do a lot of ks .I should hopefully get 80000k from the new all terrains. It was costing me over $1500 a year for mud terrains which is just crazy.

Saying that, if I did low ks and mainly played in the mud I would justify M/Ts as they look heaps better!

I find the all terrains go heaps better in the sand too, my M/Ts used to dig holes everywhere. Also the all terrains are pulling up heaps quicker in the wet.

cheers guys i think ill go with the A/T's just need to decide which ones! BFG's, coopers or maxxis!

I'm on Cooper ST Maxx and I've done 60K since Aug 2011, most of them on road.
Just have to be a bit careful in wet conditions, but who doesn't? (BANG!)

cheers guys i think ill go with the A/T's just need to decide which ones! BFG's, coopers or maxxis!

Federal at tyres are supposed to be alright & reasonably priced. Googyear & kelly have an aggressive at that might be good for you too.

Hey guys I have a 02 d22 that has a hwy tyres on it and are up for replacement!
I will be driving it on the black top about 90%of the time do have been advised to get A/T but I don't want to go bush and get caught out with needing more grip! People have been telling me that if I put muddies on they will chew out and need replacing after (approx) 40 thou k's! I just wanted to get the opinion off you guys that have them am how you find them and would it be worth me getting muddies or just sticking with A/T
Cheers chris

Maybe not in the budget but have you considered a set of muds on another set of rims that you can put on for the off road adventures?
You can just run h/t's or a/t's for the highway use.

If you just want at's dick cepeks are worth a look.

I got duratraks because they seem to be a good all rounder tyre, very good on the black top in the wet aswell.

Federal at tyres are supposed to be alright & reasonably priced. Googyear & kelly have an aggressive at that might be good for you too.

I'm running Federals, only done 5k on them so far, but I think they're brilliant on road (haven't gone offroad with them yet). They are marginally louder than the factory tyres and have excellent grip in wet and dry.

I was looking at Coopers AT/3 before I bought the Federals and after reading reviews on here, decided they get the kms out of them because they're too hard and heaps of people have grip problems in the wet, not something I was willing to compromise for a few more kms.

I don't like the look of the BFG's but from all accounts, they seem to be the best allrounder, but you do pay for them, $350ish each compared to $210 I paid for the Federals, I replaced all 5 of mine (to bring the spare up to size as well - now 265/70R17) for $1050, 4 BFG's or MT's would've been $1400ish and I really can't complain about the Federals at all

Back