Navara clutch issues?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

have you had clutch issues?

• yes

Votes: 78 45.3%
  • no

Votes: 94 54.7%

• Total voters
I know the DMF are more prone to failure then the old solid flywheel counterparts, BUT i just dont understand how they fail with only 30k on the clock........

A mate of mine has 30k on the clock and is on his 3rd clutch.
Im at nearly 20k and never had an issue.

A mate of mine has 30k on the clock and is on his 3rd clutch.
Im at nearly 20k and never had an issue.

:hahaha: after 3 clutches it can no longer be a faulty part and has to be driver related, some people swear they dont ride the clutch but when yo get in the car with them you soon see they are full of BS and just dont realise what it is they are doing.

He does say the car stalls alot and its very easy to do.
I dont think i could stall mine as i can let the clutch out with no revs on a hill and idle off i would have to stand on the brakes to stall it.
Any one else find the same as me? and to the ppl chewing clutches is your car easy to stall?

I can let the clutch out and it will idle away. Infact I'm so paranoid about the clutch, this my usual mode of take off, then I put my foot down, somtimes to the discust of those behind me.

On a hill feels like it's going to die in the ass, usually give it a little more engine speed.

22000k's and mines on the hoist at the dealership.

Nissan have approved the replacement just waiting parts, 5 days turn around time.

Its my work vehicle, if its not on the road no income for me. The dealer don't seem to be phased by it one bit. Unfortunately showing no compassion will now result in services being taken elsewhere and future purchases following suit.

At the end of the day at least its covered by warranty, apparently the clutches are only warranted for 10,000km's

22000k's and mines on the hoist at the dealership.

Nissan have approved the replacement just waiting parts, 5 days turn around time.

Its my work vehicle, if its not on the road no income for me. The dealer don't seem to be phased by it one bit. Unfortunately showing no compassion will now result in services being taken elsewhere and future purchases following suit.

At the end of the day at least its covered by warranty, apparently the clutches are only warranted for 10,000km's

Sorry mate i must of missed one of your posts, WHAT is being replaced under warranty?

Still on the original clutch and timing chain.

Oh and piston's before that comment comes along.

Go the D22. Haha.

Only time I've stalled mine is in soft sand, even in low range, need to slip the clutch a little bit to get going, otherwise I've never had a problem and it drives beautiful on the road

My 2007 ST-X 6SPD has now done 127K and the clutch is now playing up.
I quickly learnt to take off slow, then hit the gas. But have been towing a 2T caravan around OZ since April and because a lot of the caravan park sites are not level (reversing in uphill) and very tight it is hard not to slip the clutch, even in 4WD low.
For a quick take off, treat it like a dog-clutch.
I think the timing chain aint too healthy either so am selling it before something goes bang.

My 2007 ST-X 6SPD has now done 127K and the clutch is now playing up.
I quickly learnt to take off slow, then hit the gas. But have been towing a 2T caravan around OZ since April and because a lot of the caravan park sites are not level (reversing in uphill) and very tight it is hard not to slip the clutch, even in 4WD low.
For a quick take off, treat it like a dog-clutch.
I think the timing chain aint too healthy either so am selling it before something goes bang.

Well sorry to say mate but that's sad knowing something is about to go and instead of fixing it you would rather flog it off to a poor someone that will end up paying for repairs as soon as he gets it, cursing who owned it before. Unethical mate keep it to yourself.

Mine went at 60,000k's - going down some steep slops in 4LOW second unsing engine braking, got to the bottom and just free spinning - dual mass flywheel let go. Replaced under warranty.

Not has 87k's on it and mechanic said doesnt have much life it - did the replace the clutch or just the flywheel.

He also said going solid flyweehl is causing vibration issues to the drive train so catch 22 if you go solid or dual flywheel in replacement.

My D22 140k's and factory clutch was still going strong when traded in !!

To those saying its driving style - 45% of voters that have problems can't all be bad drivers - just means Nissan under engineered the vehicle. Or do you need to pass a Nissan only driving to drive one of these so they dont break ?

Lesson 1 - Do not go off bitumen
Lesson 2 - Stick to lesson 1 and your clutch/diff/etc will be fine.

Last edited:
He also said going solid flywheel is causing vibration issues to the drive train so catch 22 if you go solid or dual flywheel in replacement.
QUOTE]

That's interesting. As when I brought mine, late 2011 Thai built. I was informed these trucks have gone back to a single mass flywheel.

I have a vibration issue but only around 1700~1800 hundred RPM. Hmm..

Any other late Thai truck owners get that?

I have an outback extreme solid kit in mine and I thought the clutch was making vibrations right through the canopy. Ive since discovered the tail shaft uni joint was buggered and it is fine now.
I do love the peace of mind the decent clutch provides.

planning to embark on a towing holiday for a few months, searching for suitable caravan.
bit paranoid about clutch tho.
mine has 72000 without a drama so far, apart from that ticking noise from hydraulic lines nissan fixed under warranty. lack of engine torque down low makes the odd slip on hill start a necesity but keeping revs at minimum until clutch engaged.
spoke to npc at archerfield, they recommend single mass heavy duty kit with they can supply for about $1500, exedy heavy duty is around $1700.
havent done a great deal of towing or 4wd-ing but maybe better safe than sorry, at least now i can replace clutch myself, can't imagine what it would cost on the side of a dirt track in north qld with 3 kids and a 2.5t caravan!

planning to embark on a towing holiday for a few months, searching for suitable caravan.
bit paranoid about clutch tho.
mine has 72000 without a drama so far, apart from that ticking noise from hydraulic lines nissan fixed under warranty. lack of engine torque down low makes the odd slip on hill start a necesity but keeping revs at minimum until clutch engaged.
spoke to npc at archerfield, they recommend single mass heavy duty kit with they can supply for about $1500, exedy heavy duty is around $1700.
havent done a great deal of towing or 4wd-ing but maybe better safe than sorry, at least now i can replace clutch myself, can't imagine what it would cost on the side of a dirt track in north qld with 3 kids and a 2.5t caravan!
Flip side of the coin is you replace it with a non genuine one which shits itself anyway... I dunno probably just luck of the draw I guess.

TBH you should have got an auto though for towing a 2.5T caravan its just better then the 6 speed manual for that sort of work.

have you had it looked at by a professional? you mentioned npc, they do solid flywheel replacements for the hilux as well with a high success rate, so going the 4terrain HD kit might end up being $1500 for piece of mind.

Latest posts

Back