New 09 str

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DANDON

Reaction score
Just bought new navara and wondering what others think of the 2.5td compared to the 3.0td in previous models.

test drove the 2.5 STR, way toooo slow, never driven the 3.0 must be bad though if the 2.5 is an upgrade??

Hey DANDON, congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the forum! Haven't driven a 3.0 Nav so I can't really coment but having had my 2.5 for just on twelve months now I can honestly say no regrets. There is some truth to the saying wait until it's run in, it will loosen up a bit and deliver.

Cheers Brad

Hi mate, welcome to the forums.

Very happy with mine, especially after an exhaust upgrade. Never driven a 3.0.

Thanks for the replies I was hoping someone would say that they have had no trouble with them, motor felt real tight on test drive but thought that might change a bit down the track. have had 99 3.2 dx for about 7 years now and never let me down once. think I made a good choice.

My exhaust was about $1400, no chip is ok for warranty. Well........that really depends on your dealer as well.

Thanks for the replies I was hoping someone would say that they have had no trouble with them, motor felt real tight on test drive but thought that might change a bit down the track. have had 99 3.2 dx for about 7 years now and never let me down once. think I made a good choice.

I've had no trouble with mine!!!!! :victory:
Like i said in my earlier post, it will loosen up!! Mine did. I reckon you made a good choice, don't look for things to bug yourself with because with any new vehicle you will find something whether it be a rattle or one more litre/100 km's than the stipulated figure. I haven't done any engine or exhaust mods to mine, though I do have a snorkel to go on and can say I am very happy with the performance. I also tow a campervan with mine that weighs roughly around the 950kg mark and it hasn't struggled at all!

Cheers Brad

sorry bout that nevyn i could have said that clearer,what I meant was i'm glad someone said they have not had any trouble with it.

didn't get any accessories from dealer thought I might have a look around and see if I can get a bit cheaper, should not be too hard, factory towbar $700.00 next place I looked at was $490.00.

That's the way DANDON, don't forget to look out for specials. When I bought my TJM steel winch bar they threw in a fairly decent air copressor with it. Also another member on here, NIZZBITS can do genuine Nissan parts at a good price.

Cheers Brad

Hi mate welcome to the forum. Is it true that the 2.5 d22 is only around 90kw and is less than the 110kw d22 3.0l obviously. I think its also down on torque too, im pretty sure its been de tuned for better fuel economy rather than more power.

Hi Dandon.

I have had my str for about 12 months now. People say the power is down on the 3.0.

My vehicle is constantly loaded with about a half tonne.

I also tow a 7x4 tradies trailer loaded all the time. Some hills I have to go down to 4th gear. not many though.

It goes along at 130 kmph on the highway very nicely if i want to.

Have never not been able to go anywhere off road because of a lack of power.

How much more power do you need. Just gets you into trouble imo.

You have made a good choice. The 2.5 d22 is a real good ute.

Roy.

Hey Dandon

I've driven a D40 and i have the 3L the main difference i have noticed that the 2.5L is a lot more peaky not as smooth in the power delivery as the 3L. But definatly more get up than the 3L when on boost. Not to say the 3L is a slug i think it goes well. I still love my nav it does what i want it to do...

Wade

didn't get any accessories from dealer thought I might have a look around and see if I can get a bit cheaper, should not be too hard, factory towbar $700.00 next place I looked at was $490.00.

Haha When I was looking for my D40 I was getting silly prices quoted from dealers for the towbar, can't remember if I got as high as $700 but I do remember one guy saying how he uses the Nissan price book and never adds anything to the price yet he still quoted $650.

In the end I think the fanciful price the dealer came up with was about $450 which I ended up taking cause TJM quoted me $350 not fitted and for an extra $100 I couldn't be stuffed doing it myself.

Love mine, goes great, plenty of power for what it is, no mods no additives, 2008 version.

Hey Dandon,

I have the 09 ST-R, bought it in September. Previous to that I had the 3.0lt D22 '04 .

The 3 litre went really well, noticeably better than the 2.5, so I whacked in a DP chip, this has brought the power up to about the same as the 3.0 litre.

If the 2.5 litre loosens up a bit more it'll be sweet. I like the power the chip adds and we are still working with DP to deliver a bit more. There is a whole thread about this on this forum.

I'm pretty happy with the power. I don't use it much, but when I need it, it's there. The 2.5 does tow well even without the chip, but better with it.

Either way, it's a great little ute.

ENjoy,

DJ

I have driven a YD25 powered D22/D40 and my ZD30 powered D22.

The D40 wins hands down when it comes to power and torque.

The YD25 powered D22 I drove had 3000km's on the clock, needed to loosen up a bit. Didn't go to bad but was restricted past 3000rpm.

My ZD30 powered D22, couldn't be happier with it. Well it needs a vacuum and a general clean.

Dave.

The YD25 powered D22 I drove had 3000km's on the clock, needed to loosen up a bit. Didn't go to bad but was restricted past 3000rpm.

It's funny you should say that Dave, mine struggled over 3,000rpm for the first 10,000k's, almost felt like it was governed. After 10,000 it was like it had a new life, wonder if it's built into the ECU or flipped on at the 10,000 service?

Latest posts

Back