New Hilux

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind the look of it ... although that 4.0 is a thirsty pig it is a bloody top engine. So powerful. If I was to get a 'lux it would have the 4.0.

The older on looks better
The rear looks like the old ones but wider

I don't mind the look of it ... although that 4.0 is a thirsty pig it is a bloody top engine. So powerful. If I was to get a 'lux it would have the 4.0.

We got FJ Cruiser and 1GR is surprisingly economical - 11L/100 in peak hour traffic - 15 off road , not too bad for performance on offer , it is a smooth ,powerfull engine . If I was to change from my 550 , I would probably go GR Hilux.

The trouble with the duel cab market now is the competition for 3.5 tonne towing. Realistically that towing point is way back over the axel as opposed to a Cruiser or Patrol. I think anyone choosing to tow a van of that weight with any duel cab is taking a big risk. Just my personal thoughts...

John, there's another issue with towing 3500Kg and it's something I've had a small discussion about over on the WikiCamps forum.

Take the Ford Ranger as an example. Kerb weight is 2200Kg, towing capacity is 3500Kg, and its GCM is 6000Kg. Yes, marginally above my D40's GCM of 5980Kg.

Let's do some simple math. 6000Kg max total weight minus 3500Kg of trailer leaves you with 2500Kg of tow vehicle. Any more and the combination is illegal. That's 300Kg above kerb weight.

What's kerb weight? Driver (nominal 70Kg) plus 10 litres of fuel in a factory-spec car.

Add a bullbar ... what, about 75Kg? Winch = 38Kg, tow hitch at 30Kg, fill the fuel tank and take out the wimpy 70Kg driver and stick in a real bloke with chest hair at 100Kg and his delectable 55Kg pinup missus and you've got just 7Kg for clothes. $10 says she gets that and hides the makeup kit under the seat so you don't count it.

3.5 tonne towing

Tony makes a very good point but I want to know some more. Accidents almost NEVER happen when everything designed to avoid or manage one works properly. What is missing from this whole discussion on towing capacity is what happens when 3.5 tonne is behind 2.25 tonne at 100 km/hr when that idiot in the Toyota Prius pulls out onto the single lane highway in front of you (let's make it interesting - in the wet!).

I loved my school physics and I know what/who will be in charge in that situation and it will NOT be the 100kg hairy chested male called Tony in the front seat, regardless of the brand of tow vehicle or the label on the tow bar.

The race to win the towing capacity stakes will almost surely end in a disaster shortly and we will have some really smart reaction like the 100km speedlimiters on trucks and buses as a result (only at a lower speed in all probability!). Don't think so? Watch this space!!!

Well said Bloke!, you and Tony are on the money, the physic's just don't add up. The Hilux has always been 2.5t braked and I thought that was sensible given the tare of the vehicle, now the jump up another 1 tonne I wonder what has been modified to accommodate the extra weight?. I bet most that load up have no idea that their tug hovers around 3 tonne plus and illegal pulling the 3.5 tonne.

Iveco Daily 4x4

Iveco-Daily-4x43-W.jpg

Check the specs.....

The Daily 4 x 4 is a purpose built off road, light commercial truck which features front, centre and rear differential locks, a GVM of up to 5.2 tonnes, a towing capacity of up to 3.5 tonnes and a choice of cab chassis or dual cab. Muddy tracks, rough ground, steep slopes and slippery roads are all no obstacle for the new Daily 4 x 4, which is designed to do the toughest jobs under the harshest conditions.

The Daily 4 x 4 offers the best combination of payload and off-road performance in the toughest conditions. Built on a solid steel truck chassis, it comes with permanent all wheel drive with three available differential locks (front, rear, and central), 24 forward and 4 reverse gear ratios. There is also the option of selecting the first synchronised reduction (half speed) with the vehicle in motion. The Daily 4 x 4 is also fitted with parabolic suspension with a live front axle to cushion the shocks of road surfaces.

Thanks to its design, the Daily 4 x 4 guarantees the performance of a true off-road vehicle with a:

51° departure angle
27° approach angle
36° departure angle, with rear bar raised
fording depth up to 700 mm.

It is available with a 3.4 m wheelbase Cab Chassis or Dual Cab, with a 4.49 t GVM with axle loads of 2,450 kg on the front axle and 3,700 kg on the rear axle with an option of 5.2 t GVM.

The Daily 4 x 4 is ideal for use in applications such as:

off road support vehicles
emergency services
recreational vehicles
mining or forestry services.

And cheaper than a croozer too.

http://iveco.com.au/index.php/off-road/daily-4x4

saving already started.....

Very cool truck, Isuzu and Hino used to make ones like that and there is also okas and uni mogs, only problems are the cost to run and maintain, hitting trees/branches ect and when they get stuck, they get STUCK.

Last edited:
You know what the car dealers are going to say, don't you?

"3.5T caravans have 10 inch electric brakes and ESC and they can stop themselves if they need to".

That IS true. Even my caravan (2.5T) has 10 inch electric brakes, and is more than capable of stopping itself and me. My Prodigy P3 brake controller allows me to adjust it so that you can hardly tell that there's a caravan behind you that's also coming to a halt.

In the wet - with reasonable (or better) tyres - you should still expect the whole show to behave fairly well even in a crisis.

It's my personal opinion that the governing factor isn't really the weight of the vehicle, but the skill of the driver. I've seen mentioned elsewhere that there should a training course for towing - or some certification process. I still agree with it. I parked my caravan in a spot barely large enough to fit a car - and I've seen people refuse to take a spot in a caravan park because they had to reverse it in and coudn't.

Unfortunately the greatest oxymoron is right under our noses all the time - "common sense". There's nothing common about it!!

"3.5T caravans have 10 inch electric brakes and ESC and they can stop themselves if they need to".

If that behemoth behind me can be relied upon to save the vehicle in front in one of my emergencies, how come I'm not allowed (or would even think about) riding in it?????

Latest posts

Back