new member new D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2m5k6

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am the proud new driver of a D40 king cab RX auto, so far so good, I want to change front speakers, can anyone tell me the polarity of the wires as not marked thanks, also how to remove head unit would be apreciated.:big_smile: the speaker wires are coloured red and brown on right side and brown and blue on the left side, I am assuming the common colour is negative ?

Last edited:
I want to change front speakers, can anyone tell me the polarity of the wires as not marked thanks,

Hi and welcome! I also only recently signed up here, it's a great place.

Do the existing wires have crimp plugs that connect onto the speaker? If so, there's usually some indication of the polarity on the speakers themselves, one plug will be marked + (Pos) one - (Neg). If not, then usually one terminal on the speaker is smaller than the other, that is usually the negative terminal.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to the Forums.

There is a thread around here somewhere for removing the head unit in a D40 STX not sure how different it is with the RX but it might be a guide. As I said when someone asked the same question yesterday I don't remember where the thread is and haven't looked for it but it will be in the D40 section and search for something like Dash removal, I could probably have done that rather than type this out but hey we all need to learn how to search for things at some time.

As far as the polarity goes have you got the colours of the wires handy, the manual should state which wires go to which connector and there is plenty of us on here with manuals who can confirm if your colours match what the manual says.

The speaker wires are red and brown on the right side and brown and blue on the left side, there is a connector which goes on to the speaker terminals which are the same size and are not marked with polarity, car is sep 09 build if this helps, the speakers that were original factory are only 20 watts, no expense spared here by nissan.

Last edited:
Those colours don't match with my manual, I guess the RX could be different there is enough other difference between models. I'd probably suggest the brown is common to both but that's only using some logic and car manufacturers don't always use that.

Speaker polarity isn't a huge issue as long as all speakers in phase are connected the same way but even if they are not considering the relatively low power output you'd hardly notice much difference anyway.

You can however test the polarity of a speaker (not the connecting wires) with a 9 volt battery and some wires but unless you know which wire you pulled off which terminal that wont really help you. Usually the speaker terminals are slightly different sizes even if the connectors look the same size.

heres a wiring diagram

Attachments

• d40 rx audio diagram.jpg
    d40 rx audio diagram.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 8,377
A few pages after that in the manual is the actual wiring schematic showing the same thing in more detail but the colours still don't match with what he said he's seeing in his ute.

thats right, even the owners manual shows a different unit than that which is actually fitted, maybe they have only recently changed it, I have checked colours and is definately red and brown for right side and blue and brown for left.:suicide:

Hope you find a solution to this dude! The 9V test would really be the best bet to find the polarity. Are the wires still connected to the original speakers?

I'd do up a nice visual guide but I'm in Bali at the moment!

thats right, even the owners manual shows a different unit than that which is actually fitted, maybe they have only recently changed it, I have checked colours and is definately red and brown for right side and blue and brown for left.:suicide:

Actually I think you're right, because the manual covers several models the head unit shown in the manual is different, not sure why that relates to different coloured wires as I'd have thought they would have stayed the same but as anyone who's tried to following wiring diagrams knows things do change.

Unfortunately the 9V test is only good for the speakers themselves so if the wires have been removed it's not going to do much. You could always check the rears and if by chance they both have brown wires going to them you could take a punt they are all the same polarity and therefore providing all brown wires go to the same terminals the phase will be in sync and you may not notice any problems.

Actually I think you're right, because the manual covers several models the head unit shown in the manual is different, not sure why that relates to different coloured wires as I'd have thought they would have stayed the same but as anyone who's tried to following wiring diagrams knows things do change.

Unfortunately the 9V test is only good for the speakers themselves so if the wires have been removed it's not going to do much. You could always check the rears and if by chance they both have brown wires going to them you could take a punt they are all the same polarity and therefore providing all brown wires go to the same terminals the phase will be in sync and you may not notice any problems.

guess what no rear speakers only holes same as in dash, have tried 9v battery test but cant see any difference swapping polarity as only moves a minute amount, the wires on the speaker both terminate at the back of the cone in exactly the same place, would seem there is no polarity difference :suicide::suicide:

While speakers do have a polarity as previously suggested as long as the phase is the same through phased speakers it will work. Given the power most head units provide (without and sort of amp) I doubt you'd need to worry much and for want of any better ideas I'd use the common colour from each side as the guide to match both speakers.

I have finally found out from nissan the polarity, front right is brown+ and red- and left side is brown + and blue -, thanks guys for your help with ideas, much appreciated:victory:

Am I the only one that thinks that's wrong? Let me check my Manuel.

According to the schematic for the sound system, the speaker wiring is:

Left Side:
Front Tweeter: G = Positive, L= Negative
Front Door Speaker: BR = Positive, L = Negative
Rear Door Speaker: L = Positive, V = Negative (double checked, that is what manual says)

Right Side:
Front Tweeter: W = Positive, L = Negative
Front Door Speaker: LG = Positive, V = Negative
Rear Door Speaker: GR = Positive, V = Negative

Nothing like a multimeter though, to make sure.

I hope you don't treat your Manuel better than Basil did.

The manual in this case does appear to be different to the ops car which has been the problem from the start. Maybe the wiring for models made in different countries is different but its just further proof that one shouldn't take everything they read as gospel.

My money is still on the fact that the ops head unit doesn't have rear speakers added to it so therefore it's one of the changes the workshop manual doesn't list. From memory the workshop manual doesn't show a two speaker system so therefore showing different wiring colours would be acceptable...well acceptable to all those but the ones with a two speaker system.

I'm not pulling my speakers out to see if they match the manual but I'm guessing since all the other wires I've traced colours for from the manual have been as listed the above is probably right for the D40 STX

I used to work for the Nissan dealer in geelong and through my service contacts have got an actual wiring schematic, there are lots of variations depending on amount of speakers and model of vehicle and country of origin and actual head unit model, talk about make it easy, some of the colours that leave the head unit actually change on the way to the various speakers where they terminate off to tweeters and rear speakers if fitted, the RX king cab only has two speakers fitted to front doors 6 by 9's with holes for tweeters in top of dash and in rear doors.Take nothing as gospel in this case:suicide:

Latest posts

Back