New Navara - A few things

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickyjoe

Reaction score
Hi

I am new to the game of owner a Navara. I bought a 2011 D22 Nav just recently from the dealer.

Just a few questions. The first being general handling of the truck. I've stepped out of a falcon ute into this beast and was wondering is it typical for the car to tramtrack slightly on a high cambered road? Also I reckon the thing is bottoming out on the bump stops when it hits a mild bump in the road. I know its not a ferrari but its kind of annoying. Anyone got any ideas?

I think the first thing on the cards is too fit back speakers to the beast. I have this kick arse stereo in it and no back speakers!

Also did Nissan forget to install the switch for the interior light on the passengers doors? Only the drivers door turns the inside light on. If this is a cost cutting exercise I could somewhat understand but why fit electric windows and electric mirrors...

Also has anyone fitted a white bullbar with white scrub bars? I was wondering what it might look like. Deciding if I want black or white :)

Rich

gday mate yeah mine tracks on the off camber and interoir light thing is standard as far as i know as for the springs bottoming out get it is it loaded up i always carried about 700 kg in mine for work and its only recently started to touch bump stops thats 100000 ks so ill now replace with ironman 2" lift springs but if yours is empty get it back to shop

Thanks for the replies.

Its the front suspension that I reckon it giving the problems.

I don't want to be taunted about what i should have bought, because I haven't! :) I just would like to know if people had similar issues. I was thinking I could wind the front torsion bar up to move the offset of the arm to stop it bottoming out (if its actually doing this which I reckon it is)

Maybe you can get softer suspension for the front to make it a little more floaty which wouldnt be too bad I suppose. I bought the ute with the intention of touring with it.

Rich

Should've bought a d40. They use real springs in the front of real 4x4s

As you get more involved in the forum you will find a lot of banter between D22 and D40 owners. Truth is they are all just wishing they had a D21...:sarcastic:

Crank the front torsion bars up. Its a fairly simple DIY job. Just two things to be aware of. Increasing the ride height also increases the angles on your front drive shafts decreasing their life expectancy, and you will need a wheel alignment following any adjustments as it changes the camber settings.

Cheers

Mat

The front may be too low, mine was when i got it. Take it back, make them fix it. Door switches for light is, in nissan, normal but retarded. There was someone on here a while ago had a chinese bullbar that they sprayed white and put on, and it looked quite nice indeed, but i can't remember who.

Thanks Mitch & everyone else

A mate has a 3litre Navara of which I am going to take for a test spin to see how his handles. I know he has wound his torsion bars up about 10 turns to raise it about 2inches and has fitted a new set of rear springs to suit. It may also be in need of a wheel alignment and could just be wrong from factory.

Will work it out!

Rich

Thanks Mitch & everyone else

. I know he has wound his torsion bars up about 10 turns to raise it about 2inches

Rich

if he wound it up 2 inches, i'd say then the top wishbone is bottomed out......you give gap to the bottom, it takes away from the top or visa versa

Ok back from a trip to Melbourne and the suspension needs sorting. What is the effective load rating of the rear springs? Like what can I put in the rear? I say this because I never will so I am thinking some much lighter springs might be the go. I like the sounds of the bilsteins, will prob do that. Some people upgrade the torsion bars to a heavier bar, would this just make the ride harder?

Rich

Hey mate and welcome to the d22s. They are a good car and built properly great tourers. Are you sure its the suspension not a faulty body mount? Mine made noises whenever it hit any type of bump and they replaced all the body mounts cause 2 of them had actually broken and fallen out.

As for suspension I have the efs gear and can't fault it. Efs comfort springs and efs shocks, standard torsion bars wound up. They are a budget kit from zordos suspension. Try avoid ironman gear as they don't seem to hold there height for long, others may disagree but I have heard a lot of conflicting stories.

RustyNav

Gee I thought ironman were good and have great warranty. I still have ironman torsion bars in mine and never had a problem with them. Be carefully how you word sticking things in your rear to. Lmao

My D22 had the same problem, but i had the nissen bull bar fitted from new, it has 25000 on the clock and the torsion bar wound up all ready. I am now looking at putting toughdog under it. Will cost me $2000.

May be an option. (will need to look at it if you put a bull bar on)

Thanks all

I think I'll wait until I have fitted the bullbar, towbar and new side steps and scrub bars I bought. I ended up going black to try and break the white a little bit.

I'm interested in driving a navara with the efs light duty rear springs to see what they are like. Any people on here with that setup live in the albury Wodonga area?

And agree my choice of words about the rear of the truck was a little bit lacking lol

Rich

Hi Rich,

In January I brought a New Navara D22 built in December 2011 (Jap Built), so a little of my prospective after driving a SsangYong Musso Dual Cab for the past 7 years.

The suspension of the D22 is one of the features of the vehicle that attracted me to it, in that for 4WDing and touring the D22 seemed to be the only Dual Cab 4WD in my price range where no suspension work was needed from standard to get me out 4WDing the areas I frequent and the areas I wish to visit in the near future, in fact it has better handling and ground clearance then most Dual Cab 4WD's in the same price range.

After driving my SsangYong for 7 years, unloaded I find the D22’s suspension rather ridged with not much give in it at all, both in the front and in the rear end, with the rear end drifting a little on rough surfaces easily with no weight in the back. I have a work mate who brought a 2010 D22 New and he too found the D22’s suspension rather ridged unloaded as well, only coming good with 200kg or so of gear in the back before the ride became good, he choosing to fit softer Shock’s to soften the ride a little.

Like you, I also noticed the same tramtrack handling on sealed roads and it varies on different sealed road surfaces and after reading threads on this forum it seems a common experience with most D22 owners, which seems it can be overcome by fitting steering dampeners.

I am not in a rush to get a suspension upgrade, I am hoping to save my money for other accessories like Bullbar and Snorkel if I can help it. I am willing to wait till I have my Canopy fitted and have put together a Storage Draw System in the tub to get the Nav loaded up with all the gear I usually carry and then see what the Nav’s Handling is like then and helpfully just some minor adjustments will be needed and not a full suspension upgrade, saving money for more important stuff.

Grant

Last edited:
Thanks all

I think I'll wait until I have fitted the bullbar, towbar and new side steps and scrub bars I bought. I ended up going black to try and break the white a little bit.

I'm interested in driving a navara with the efs light duty rear springs to see what they are like. Any people on here with that setup live in the albury Wodonga area?

And agree my choice of words about the rear of the truck was a little bit lacking lol

Rich

My D22 has stock suspension but with the factory steel bull bar fitted, I would not want softer torsion bars, the extra weight of the steel bar is enough to settle it down and it feels good to me.
I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before the D22 and that was FLOATY !! as soon as I loaded it up for a trip it became almost dangerous, prior to the Jeep I had a 4runner (torsion bars also) it had an aftermarket 2" lift with stock bars but slightly firmer shocks, it handled and drove great even loaded up.
The Nav will be better with some weight in the back and a bar on the front oh and mine tramlines a bit too but no where near as bad as the Jeep did.

D22 are a really well put together tractor but a piss poor excuse for a ute.
I have EFS torsion bars that made a huge differnce over standard with steel bar and winch. EFS standard duty springs in the rear that work really well with a trailer on or loaded. OME nitrocharger shocks all round.
Welcome to the 22

Latest posts

Back