New Owner/Member

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navara D40 P

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I just bought myself a new D40 six speed manual ST. I am new to the Forum and to the 4x4 circle and was hoping for some solid advice. I am looking at putting a 2" lift kit and a set of All Terrain (50/50) tyres on it. I mainly use the car for off roading as opposed to normal every day driving.

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated.

ALso any advice on the best places to get work done.
I was lokking at Cooper ST xxx and TJM branded lift kit.

Paddy

Hi Guys.

I just bought myself a new D40 six speed manual ST. I am new to the Forum and to the 4x4 circle and was hoping for some solid advice. I am looking at putting a 2" lift kit and a set of All Terrain (50/50) tyres on it. I mainly use the car for off roading as opposed to normal every day driving.

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated.

ALso any advice on the best places to get work done.
I was lokking at Cooper ST xxx and TJM branded lift kit.

Paddy

Zordo for lift kit, that's for sure. As for tyres that's up to you I would go with 70/30 if its mainly off road stuff you require.. I'm sure the other boys with give you some advice too..

welcome to the forum Paddy! I'm sourcing all the stuff for my lift myself, but it will come down to what you want the car to do. as above, Zordo here in Brissy is brilliant and very well priced.

do a search for tyres, there's lots on here about them, I'm looking at change mine soon and am looking at the Cooper AT/3, never had Coopers before, but they're a good looking all terrain with excellent milage and i want 275/70R17's and not many people do that size. also, I only really do road and beach driving so I don't want nor need anything too aggressive

good luck with ur build!

Welcome to the forum, Paddy.

Get the barwork and winch fitted before you do the suspension, so that the suspension can be matched to the extra weight on the car. Larger tyres will give you better diff clearance but you pay a penalty in power and economy.

If you're seriously into off-road, you'd want one of your first purchases to be a front diff locker. The stock diff is a rather weak open diff and if you drop a spinning wheel on the ground as you clamber up a slope you run the risk of having it bite and transfer the momentum into the axle/diff, either of which could break and leave you on the track.

I'd suggest brush bars given our last experience on the tracks but the blackberry bushes were pushing so hard against the side of the cars that brush bars would not have added any protection at all, to the areas that counted.

save yourself the heartache and dont get coopers there crap on the road and chip to buggery off road' I'm one of many who have bought these tyres and have got piss poor performance, Soon they will run out of peaple to sell them too because knowone goes back for a second set. go the wrangler duratrak much better tyre.

Mate my coopers on 20" rims all terrains are sick! My suspension is buggered but you can sell take corners almost like a holden haha I love my coopers and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
A million people will tell you a heap of different things. All i'll say is welcome to the forum and the search function is your friend :)

Enjoy the forum :) any questions you cant find answers to using the search function, throw up a post in the relevant section and plenty of people will try and sort you out.

Navara D40 P

Thanks for all the replies lads. Will definitely look at putting in front diff lockers. Any suggestions on a good type Tony.

save yourself the heartache and dont get coopers there crap on the road and chip to buggery off road' I'm one of many who have bought these tyres and have got piss poor performance, Soon they will run out of peaple to sell them too because knowone goes back for a second set. go the wrangler duratrak much better tyre.

hey big zetor, that sucks you had a bad run on Coopers, which model did you have and how long did they last? I have a mate who will run nothing but STT's on his Patrol, gets 100,000kms out of them, on his second Patrol and about 5th set (between the 2 cars) I believe

Thanks for all the replies lads. Will definitely look at putting in front diff lockers. Any suggestions on a good type Tony.

Opinions on the two types available are divided. Both have their advantages and disadvantages - so it's often a matter of personal preference.

Electric - doesn't need any stored air or a compressor, they're just flick a switch and it's done.

Air - obviously needs a compressor but if you go down this path, you don't need to buy a separate compressor to do your tyres.

Both types can have their connection to the diff damaged by debris. When you're ploughing through a long pool of mud, you can't always see the stick poking out of the ground into the midst of the muck. Snag that on your air lines, electrical cables, ABS lines, fuel lines ... it's a risk. Air lines can be repaired by taking extra hose and joiners and electrical cables can be repaired with a soldering iron and some electrical tape.

The choice of which type is really up to you.

As for sources - I'm a little biased. I really like what Harrop Engineering have put together with their e-lockers so that's the way I'll be going. If you want air lockers, take a look at ARB's offering.

Hasn't been my experience with Coopers, I'm onto my second set now being the STMaxx and they've had a pretty decent workout both on and off road, plenty of grip everywhere I've been. But, if you're mainly off road I'd be getting some MTZ's they'll give you that little bit more traction in the greasey stuff.

Cheers Brad

Latest posts

Back