New to forum interested in getting a Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alec

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post on the forum after having a look around.
Okay so im a Plumber and I drive a vs ute which is a pain in the ass for work. Ive been looking around at some 2005 D40 ST-X duel cabs. I will put a tray and boxes on the back and probably in the end carry around 250+ kilo. Ive been reading about a few problems with the Navaras and I would like to know if this is the car for me. Auto or manual im not fussed and I was thinking of getting 2.5L TD.

can you guys help me out please!

Thank you, Alec

Welcome to the forum, Alec.

The 2005/2006 D40s will probably have a few km under them so I'd be looking at their timing chains. Manuals were fitted with dual-mass flywheels and if not converted to single-mass flywheel with a HD clutch, they can chew through clutches (depends on driving style, load, terrain).

Rear springs won't handle much more than 150kg. You can get dual-rate springs for the rear which really make a difference.

Other than that, they're good workhorses. Expect around 12-14LPHK in the city loaded for work, around 10LPHK on the highway (standard-ish tyre sizes - if you go larger, you use more fuel).

Good luck with your search!

Thank you this is helpful, ive found an 05 auto 180xxx on the clock im going to have a look at on Monday. Hopefully all goes well. Is there anything to look out for when i drive it or inspect it in particular with an auto?

The only problem specific to the auto was a shuddering on some when gently passing 80km/h - it would continue shuddering up to around 100km/h. It was caused by a faulty torque converter clutch trying to engage and failing, releasing, trying again, which caused the engine rpm to fluctuate rapidly making the car vibrate. It required the replacement of the torque converter.

It was common enough to draw attention to it, but may be limited to 2006-2009 models and even if that one was affected, it might have been fixed already. There are no additives that you can put in the engine/gearbox to mask it.

Put the car in drive, with overdrive ON (the instrument light will go OUT, toggle with the switch on the side of the gear lever). On reasonably level ground, accelerate mildly (no more than 2500rpm) to 100km/h (freeways are the best place of course). If all is good, at around 75-80km/h you should notice the engine drop to around 1700-1800rpm and from then on, light variations in throttle application will NOT change the RPM of the engine - it will be as if you're in a manual in top gear.

Latest posts

Back