New to me D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simsy

Reaction score
Well I have gone and done it now I have sold my D22 to my son and gone out and purchased a 2008 D40 king cab for myself. To show my age I chose a Auto over a manual this time around, the new to me ute comes with a steel tray a bull bar and side steps and that's it. So what do I need to know about this model are there any massive issues that I haven't already come across in the d22?

Already on the shopping list is an integrated stereo/gps a UHF some HID spots and a couple toolboxes for the tray anybody else have any suggestions on the best types of these accessorise to get or some other things that I might need/want.

pretty sure the king cab auto's have that high fuel consumption problem not sure what year/s had it though.

If your taking it off road, cut the little tabs off the radiator. A small thing but could save you some pain. You will see why in my thread history.

Depending on how many km it has on it and wether or not its already been changed its worth while checking the timing chain.
Actually I'm surprised that 180 didn't mention it.

Well here is some good news as I am purchasing the car from a country dealer they are deferring the warranty work to a mechanic of my choice so lucky for me my son just happens to be a mechanic and he did half his trade on diesels so if it needs anything like that he will sort it for me.

That's a good set up, definitely can't complain about that.
Yeah unfortunately Nissan chose to run a single row timming chain and it seems as though the early mods had some bodgy adjusters which allowed the chain to stretch.

^ as above with timing chain and possible high fuel consumption, otherwise the 2008 would only need checking for things like cracking/slipping/splitting vacuum and fuel hoses. Check that it was seen for the bonnet retention recall and if it hasn't (and it's needed) then consider whether you want a bullbar + winch - if you do, get them first, because then Nissan fork out for the HD springs.

So this high fuel consumption thing did that affect all of them or just some and did I read somewhere about getting the fuel pump reset fixes it ??? Or was that a different issue.

The EGR mod does help a bit. You'll know if you have high fuel consumption - you should expect 10s highway, 12-13s city. If you can't get it below 15s unladen, you have the problem. We THINK it might be a software update that's needed, we just can't get confirmation of that yet.

My D22 docent even get 13 its more like 15/100 mind you its running at around 130kw ish and 20lb boost. Did I mention that my son the mechanic did half his trade on Diesels well the other half was in a specialized performance workshop where they play with race and street performance vehicles all day.

That's more power than mine develops. He's done well! If you turn the mods off, what kind of economy are you getting? D22s generally return below 10LPHK unless they're towing.

No idea of when the update will happen - depends on whether we can confirm that it actually exists and can be obtained by dealers.

That's more power than mine develops. He's done well! If you turn the mods off, what kind of economy are you getting? D22s generally return below 10LPHK unless they're towing.

No idea of when the update will happen - depends on whether we can confirm that it actually exists and can be obtained by dealers.

Some of those mods can't be turned off but the chip can it's a 10 stage chip so I usually keep it around 5 for a bit better economy. When I turn it up the old girl is a slug until you hot 2000rpm then it just goes nuts. I will be sad to see her go really but sometimes you need a change.

Well the D40 turned up today its so much better to drive than the old D22 I cant wait to start changing things to make it mine.

First couple hundred K's done on the new to me 2008 king cab d40 for a return of 11.2 per 100k's not bad for an Auto I was expecting it to be far worse than that. So I am pretty happy so far oh and I do drive like a Nanna LOL. On a side not the fuel gauge isn't very good the top 1/4 went in a flash also is it normal for the speedo to be out by around 8 or 9 k's, bugger I just realised my k's will be wrong to oh well next time I will use the trip on the GPS

The fuel gauge and the speedo are both just not-quite-accurate needles responding to a voltage, a bit like a multimeter you'd rather not use for serious work.

The odometer on the other hand is (with standard tyres) very accurate. The ECU does know the speed rather accurately, it's just the dodgy needle.

11.2LPHK is pretty good, especially for a KC. Good stuff!

Sweet then I am pretty happy with the economy it will be interesting when I hitch my 1.5t camper up what I get. Also I have noticed that the fuel gauge drops to nothing if I sit idling for more than 2 minuets I am guessing that isn't normal I have it on the top of my warranty list of course that's the only thing on the list so far.

Latest posts

Back