NEW to NAVs 2.5 vs 3.0 and MORE

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
�� �� �� haha top work rabidchop

Hate to ruin the perfect ending but feel like we should throw the original thread starter a bone.
Zd30 d22s: reliable, torquey, simple electronics, built in japan, stiffer chassis, stronger panels. Bloody good cold AC.
Yd25 d22s: common rail with complex ecu, potential for mega power with modified chip and zorst. More power but more likely to go bang. Built in Thailand

I drive a Spanish d40 with yd25. Love the car and motor, stock garrett turbo is awesome, goes like a rocketship.
Did snap the timing chain early on at 70,000 k though ��
Rebuilt the yd25 with heavy timing chain and better head for around 6 grand.

Personally if I was to buy a d22 I'd go the 2005/2006 zd30
model. I've known a few, all with 0% major issues.

at the end of the day you are just someone driving a slow pig motor with a car that doesnt have basic luxuries inside ;)
makes more power lol 15 horsepower on paper yet when put head the head the zd30 is just a slow pig mate hahhaa

at the end of the day you are just someone driving a slow pig motor with a car that doesnt have basic luxuries inside ;)
makes more power lol 15 horsepower on paper yet when put head the head the zd30 is just a slow pig mate hahhaa

come on mate we're all driving navs here lets be honest

Did the d22 come with both engines in Europe?

Did the d22 come with both engines in Europe?

3 engines to be specific, yd25 was top choise and zd30 was a bit more rare mainly on DX grade models with black front bumper and wheel arches and we also had the KA24 petrol engine in the d22. Japan made ofc. all since 2002 that is. in any way you are trying to compare the yd25 is a more modern engine without needing solenoids and butterflies to run (i am pretty sure it has none). factory zd30 on a d22 doesnt even have an intercooler fitted its just a straight pipe from a turbo to a solenoid controled butterfly(very smart setup). both good engines especially the ones from Japan but if i had to choose well its pretty clear (europe ones also got duplex chain upper and lower so we dont have any of that d40 drama worrying a chain will let go and kill the engine)

Really, no timing chain problems in europe? Interesting.
The timing chain in my Spanish d40 that snapped was made in France.
Not a manufacturing defect, just too small for the load in a 400+ nm d40. Supposedly an accidental cockup between Nissan Japan and Nissan Europe.
We replaced it with a super chunky duplex Iwis chain from Germany, courtesy of Paul at YD25.COM.AU in Queensland.
Love the YD now don't get me wrong

its common practise these days to have an intercooler fitted to assit in the cool down of the turbo. the old style non intercooler vehicles had big issues with over heated turbos especially if you didn,t allow a good 5 minutes cool down period before engine turn off. these may no be the case in very cold european countries as the cold conditions do allow the engine to be shut off more or less straight away. fwi, this is not my info it came from another guy on a different vehicle forum.

I think you are confusing an intercooler with water cooling. An intercooler cools down the hot air the turbo is pumping into the intake, has no effect on anything else. Water cooling is where the turbo is connected to the cooling system and has engine coolant running through it.
Also, this just in; the zd30's go harder.

I think you are confusing an intercooler with water cooling. An intercooler cools down the hot air the turbo is pumping into the intake, has no effect on anything else. Water cooling is where the turbo is connected to the cooling system and has engine coolant running through it.
Also, this just in; the zd30's go harder.
Until the ECU on the pump burns out hahahahaha ;)

gee there some BS in this thread.

ZD30 is generally the better ute.
the YD25 has less power and generally pretty gutless down low. however its helped by lower gearing (except the 08 ones).
however the zd30 suffers from a few problems, especially injection pump which can loose a lot of power.

zd30, add intercooler, remap, exhaust mods and as long as it has decent injection pump it should be fairly good.

yd25 would be good IF you could put a variable turbo on it. the dumbest thing nissan ever did was to use a standard turbo. if they had fitted the low powered yd25 out of the d40 it would have been great.

btw cabstar zd30 i understand is the atmo version. no turbo.

as i have mentioned, my son has a 2013 model D-22 / 2.5 Litre with a good 2.75 inch turbo back exhaust system fitted and thats it. his engine has more low down grunt than my 2015 model D-22, so fitting this simple mod does benefit in any loss in low end grunt that the D-22 / 2.5 litre should suffer from in stock form, i have found this model 2.5 engine runs very smooth with no vibs and at idle is very quiet compared to other models in mention that do sound like the mac truck idleing beside you. [ tap tap tap ]

yes i would say the loudest diesel car engine would be the toyota landy utes. and i have to say there are some rough to ride in truck even though they seem to be a very tough vehicle. a some people say the navara is a rough to ride in truck.

I must say coming from a modern common rail SUV I find the ZD30 noisy off-idle to 2000rpm but much better when it comes on boost and pretty reasonable at cruise. Ride quality I find quite good on the highway but what you would expect around town. Direct injected diesels are noisy by nature. Gives them character.

i wonder how much of that ZD30 noise is due to the pilot injection springs going soft in the injectors.
D4 toyota diesels with their injector issues rattle like a cold tractor at idle.

Too true, those D4D are a noisey thing. But they spool up and get going faster than the actual h/p suggests. Tow 2.5 tonne and they know it though lol.

I've been doing this for a long time, if it comes down to banter regarding the two donks that most of us have let it go elsewhere. This thread has not helped the o/p deside what to do.

The idea of any forum is to give your mates and folk in the same situation a good idea of an solution, we all have the variations Nissan offered and made them do what we like.

Going backward and forward with banter is not a good look for our English members and one pm'd me to say so. Hope this can rest.

Cheers
John

Latest posts

Back