New Toughdog Leaf Springs?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteyen86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Probably upgrade the leaf springs soon. Doing a bit of research i found Toughdog now have a Premium Leaf over there standard ones.

You can get both heavy and medium duty ones. Heres a spill about them;

"ToughDog Premium Pack Leaf Springs are a truly progressive rate leaf spring. Each leaf is set slightly higher than the leaf above so there is contact along the whole length of the leaf"

Anybody got them?

Im looking for a softest ride as possible, dont carry very heavy loads and want flex..lol.

Superior sell them;

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_51_348&products_id=6382

I have read that tough dog springs in general are a bit stiffer/heavy duty than most...
i wonder if the 'premium pack' ones are a bit more gentle?

Yeah i heard the same, be good to know.

Was doing some research today and came across "parabolic leaf springs". Havent found any for the Nav yet but these are meant to be pretty good. More like a coil spring so they say...

Attachments

• TIC-taper4.jpg
    TIC-taper4.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 316
I have read that tough dog springs in general are a bit stiffer/heavy duty than most...
i wonder if the 'premium pack' ones are a bit more gentle?

I just go a new D40 and had Tough Dog 2" lift kit fitted with MT MTZ. Is a bit stiffer than my last D40 (not sure of the brand of lift used, but it wasn't Tough Dog). You can feel all the bumps in the road and it takes some getting used to. I don't mind it but it's definatley not a luxry car ride. Not sure if it will get softer over time, only done 1600km.

Mike

I just go a new D40 and had Tough Dog 2" lift kit fitted with MT MTZ. Is a bit stiffer than my last D40 (not sure of the brand of lift used, but it wasn't Tough Dog). You can feel all the bumps in the road and it takes some getting used to. I don't mind it but it's definatley not a luxry car ride. Not sure if it will get softer over time, only done 1600km.

Mike

Hey Mike, were they the Toughdog Premium Leafs or their older style leaf?

Cheers Pete

Hey Mike, were they the Toughdog Premium Leafs or their older style leaf?

Cheers Pete

just for info, the premium leaves for the nav are part # T63 (H - for HDuty if applicable) and the other cheaper ones are BP 39 or something like that, also have a H at the end if they are heavy duty

just for info, the premium leaves for the nav are part # T63 (H - for HDuty if applicable) and the other cheaper ones are BP 39 or something like that, also have a H at the end if they are heavy duty

Hey mate, was just reading an old thread about extended shackles you were in. See you went with 150Kg EFS leaves. How do you find the softer ones for flex when empty? also did they old up to having both bikes in the back?

Im in the same boat, but replace bikes with the occasional load of dirt or tanbark...lol

Pete

EFS... well i didnt have a great experience with them ay

they started off great, much better ride than stock springs with ext. shackles, nearly as good flex as the previous setup.

but a year and a half on, the LHS spring warped. took it in for warrenty, they just cut the bit off that was rubbing on the chassis from the warping.
now it has sagged on that side and the car is noticably not level... gonna be taking it back again :)
I would really prefer to change to a better brand after this instead of getting new EFS springs.

also RE the load, yeah they handled two 250 4strokes in the back fine, didnt drop down too much.
only had bikes in the back a handfull of times and barely ever had weight in the back, so wouldnt have expected any probs with the springs...

EFS... well i didnt have a great experience with them ay

they started off great, much better ride than stock springs with ext. shackles, nearly as good flex as the previous setup.

but a year and a half on, the LHS spring warped. took it in for warrenty, they just cut the bit off that was rubbing on the chassis from the warping.
now it has sagged on that side and the car is noticably not level... gonna be taking it back again :)
I would really prefer to change to a better brand after this instead of getting new EFS springs.

also RE the load, yeah they handled two 250 4strokes in the back fine, didnt drop down too much.
only had bikes in the back a handfull of times and barely ever had weight in the back, so wouldnt have expected any probs with the springs...

" the LHS spring warped. took it in for warrenty, they just cut the bit off that was rubbing on the chassis from the warping."

Thats pretty piss poor hey!

Thanks for the feed back. Thinking i might give the lighter Dobinsons a go!

Cheers Pete

I am thinking about either dobinsons aswell or rockcrawler
they are both about the same price.
have heard dobinsons are good but may be on the stiffer side aswell from some reports...
cant find too much info on the rockcrawler springs (sold thru 4wd1) but the small bit of info i have found is positive anyway...

James

also when i take my efs in, hopefully they will just replace them this time... but from what ive dealt with allready they are gonna try as hard as they can not to replace them.

If they do replace them i will take them straight off and sell them second hand, at least recoup a little bit of money that way :)

also when i take my efs in, hopefully they will just replace them this time... but from what ive dealt with allready they are gonna try as hard as they can not to replace them.

If they do replace them i will take them straight off and sell them second hand, at least recoup a little bit of money that way :)

Yeah i was under the impression efs had a good warranty! Hopefully they replace them for you this time.

I did read the dobinsons may be a little firmer as well. Like you haven't heard much about the rockcrawler leaves.

Will try to find some info on them.

Really is stuff all info on rockcrawler stuff. Cant even find who makes them! Like you, some of the reports from Hilux's that have used them sound good.

I email 4wd1 about them to see what info they can provide. See how they try to sell them to me..lol.

well EFS has a long warrenty, spose its up to the dealer u take them to how they deal with your problems.

Cool post up any info you get about the rockcrawlers im interested!

James

well EFS has a long warrenty, spose its up to the dealer u take them to how they deal with your problems.

Cool post up any info you get about the rockcrawlers im interested!

James

Hey mate, just got the email back..

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your email.

The comfort medium springs are a 6 leaf pack.

Key advantages of the springs include:
» Military Wrap. Provides added safety.
» SUP9 grade steel (high alloy content). Surpasses the industry standard for long-term durability. Plus, eliminates to the need to 'over-specify' your spring-rate in order for the leaf packs to last. Result is a better ride and increased flexibility.
» Draw Tapered & Diamond Cut Leaves. Reduces friction and ensures that load distribution is included at the leaf tips.
» Precision-cut leaves (eliminates the need for pads/spacers) so the load and friction is distributed over the entire surface area of the leaf.
» Shot Peening. The tension side of all leaves is shot peened to reduce spring stress. Potentially doubles the life of a spring
» Fully Scragged & Load Tested. Scragging ensures the spring takes a permanent ‘set’ which reduces the risk of sagging. Load testing ensures the spring meets the required specification
» Sleeved eyes. These are cylinders inserted into the spring action for best contact with the bush. Grease can then be retained for maximum long-term lubrication.
» Use of positive camber (as opposed to 'flat-seat-spring designs') for great spring action and to help prevent "W-shape" sag long-term.
» Industry-leading 3Year warranty (with no limit to kms within this time!)

Regards
John

Hey mate, just got the email back..

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your email.

The comfort medium springs are a 6 leaf pack.

Key advantages of the springs include:
» Military Wrap. Provides added safety.
» SUP9 grade steel (high alloy content). Surpasses the industry standard for long-term durability. Plus, eliminates to the need to 'over-specify' your spring-rate in order for the leaf packs to last. Result is a better ride and increased flexibility.
» Draw Tapered & Diamond Cut Leaves. Reduces friction and ensures that load distribution is included at the leaf tips.
» Precision-cut leaves (eliminates the need for pads/spacers) so the load and friction is distributed over the entire surface area of the leaf.
» Shot Peening. The tension side of all leaves is shot peened to reduce spring stress. Potentially doubles the life of a spring
» Fully Scragged & Load Tested. Scragging ensures the spring takes a permanent ‘set’ which reduces the risk of sagging. Load testing ensures the spring meets the required specification
» Sleeved eyes. These are cylinders inserted into the spring action for best contact with the bush. Grease can then be retained for maximum long-term lubrication.
» Use of positive camber (as opposed to 'flat-seat-spring designs') for great spring action and to help prevent "W-shape" sag long-term.
» Industry-leading 3Year warranty (with no limit to kms within this time!)

Regards
John

Most of these features are included in other springs including EFS, the only things EFS doesnt have are the sleeved eyes.

also the bottom leaf on EFS is just chopped with a guillotine at the ends and the dags not even removed.
"» Draw Tapered & Diamond Cut Leaves. Reduces friction and ensures that load distribution is included at the leaf tips."
this would say to me that the ends are tapered, like the stock springs?

James

ps, maybe should include 'rockcrawler springs' in the thread title aswell, someone mite pipe up if they know anything about them :)

Last edited:
Well i bit the bullet and ordered the rockcrawler springs. 0-400kg 40mm lift ones.
Hopefully they are good!! Im still planning on removing a leaf and adding coils later down the track to get the back up a bit higher. Probly wont be for a while tho. So much else to do!!

Latest posts

Back