Newby question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteV

Reaction score
G'day all, I am an absolute newby and not sure if I even belong on the forum. I'm seriously considering purchasing either a new/near new d22 or possibly a 2008-upwards with low kms and a few options. I'm looking for some advice, I'm wary of buying 2nd hand as with most I don't know how it's been thrashed around. But on the other hand am keen to inherit a loved one that's been raised a few inches, has an ARB bullbar, towbar and some improvements in the shocks Dept, etc. I'm just a humble family guy with 2 young kids that wants to use it for its ute capabilities (occasionally), drive it to work and as a weekend warrior to do some more serious stuff than the new X Trail (ST-L 4WD petrol) we have currently. Lotsa questions I know but I'm trying my way around the maze and don't want to make a mistake. I'm not looking to go to Kakadu or anything but am keen to be able to do things like beach, Bendethera and stuff like that. Am I looking for the wrong car? I just really like the look of the STR. Oh, and I like the fuel efficiency of it. Last silly qn: what does a chip do? Would I need one? Sorry, that's 2 :)

welcome mate
family guy with 2 kids
sounds like you need a d40
not much room in the back of a d22

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. Nah, I want a D22. Kids are 6 and 12 and small in stature by nature. Me and wife in front OK. Most likely the boys will be going bush on the weekends whilst wifey relaxes at home. During the week just me dropping off the kids and on my own to work. So an STR will be fine. So the question remains as is :) And from what I've read and understood, the D40 is lower to the ground, and I like the fact they originate in Japan. When exactly did the manufacture change from Japan to Thailand? Or do I have that wrong? Luxury is not necessary. Cheers.

Hi Pete, i am a newby too. I've bought a new STR about a month ago and joined this forum at the same time. I am loving my nav and take every opportunity to get out in her. I bought new because the deal was so good and the finance was so cheap. I could have paid cash, but i was better off leaving my $'s in the bank. I added a few extras like bullbar and towbar and put them under finance as well. It was hardly worth looking at second hand and i got 6 year warranty to boot. This is my first diesel and they do take a bit of getting used to. Once the revs are up around 2k, she hoots along, so you have to factor in a change to the normal driving style. I put an EGR block in and its made a world of difference. I gave it a spin in the bush on the weekend and loved it, the clearence of stock standard is plenty for what i want to do. as far as economy is concerned, i get about 9.5lt/100ks regardless of how i drive, which is unreal for a heavy 4wd drive. Its early days yet, but i am rapt so far. good luck with whatever choice you make.

Welcome to the forum.

The D40 and D22 (stock) are fairly close in height, in fact the D40 is a couple of mm higher, but has a slightly longer wheelbase which makes the two cars fairly even for climbing over obstacles. The D40 is slightly wider and has much more comfortable seats (although you can put D40 or Hilux SR5 seats into a D22).

The D40 also has more power, and you don't have to get out to lock the front hubs (front diff in a D40 turns over all the time). Fuel economy is slightly better in the D22 than the D40 (around 9s in the D22 to 10/11 in the D40 typically). For the power and comfort - and the rear seat room - the D40 does do better than the D22, but costs more.

I'm not trying to undersell the D22 - it's a VERY capable vehicle and can tow 3T just like the D40 - it just does it a little slower. Either are good (not great) cars off-road but you'd really want sliders (see ScottyBobcat for these). They're not GREAT because they have too long a wheelbase and they're pretty darn heavy (mine went over a weighbridge EMPTY yesterday at 2.70T).

If your heart's set on the style of a D22 you won't have many regrets after buying it. The D22 has a solid engine. You can take a Patrol alternator and bolt it on for extra battery charging capacity.

There were some D22s built in Japan, but many of them were Thai builds (the VIN starts with the country code - MN for Thailand, J for Japan and VSK for Spain). Some D40s were built in Thailand too, doesn't make them a bad car.

Good luck with your purchase!

Another relatively new d22 owner here as well. :)
Just notched up 12k in the truck. I really can't fault them as there is not much really to go wrong with them. That's good in my books. As said above when it's around 2k it really gets going and I don't even have the egr mod (yet)
But being a single mass flywheel it doesn't mind a bit of a ride. (Occasionally)
I do quite a bit of towing and it does it very well. A little slow when when your up around 2.5 T but it does it with no complaints. And even with towing I'm consistently getting a little over 800km out the tank.
Love it.

Thanks everyone sofar. I hear a lot about this EGR. Silly qn. Isn't that bad for the engine?

EGR is a means of reducing NOx emissions from the motor. It quite literally fills the combustion chamber with exhaust gas so that combustion isn't as efficient, reducing the combustion temperature and avoiding the production of NOx (nitrogen oxides). Your CAT is supposed to "catch" NOx as well, but it's quite inefficient and requires a hydrocarbon to be used as a reductant - and in our car that's diesel fuel. Some cars (eg Mazda CX-5), many buses and trucks use AdBlue instead (which is urea ... wonder who goes around collecting that, how gross).

Anyway, with reduced combustion temps, the combustion process doesn't complete properly, producing soot and reducing engine power & overall economy - the clever bastards!

EGR is NOT active at idle or at full throttle. Full throttle is where you'd reach the highest temperatures anyway (although you don't use full throttle often in normal driving unless you're behind the wheel of a Volkswagen Kombi) so blocking the EGR isn't going to allow the combustion chamber to reach temperatures that the engine couldn't withstand.

The EGR pipe also takes some of the pressure away from the turbocharger, so spool-up times are increased - more lag.

if your hearts set on a 22 you will be happy
best bang for your buck 4wd ute out there
just a bit small inside
mine is now 3 yrs old, cant fault it really
well theres the std suspension, its hopeless
make that your 1st mod, or wait 6 mths and buy mine??

cheers

Thanks sparra, ATM I'm looking at a tricked up 2008 model with 80k. What should I look out for and be wary of?

Thanks Knickers. I got some advice from my mechanic and went the same way. Bit the bulleet and spent a bit more. About to embark on a new STR, showroom model, brand new, bullbar, towbar, snorkel and dual battery. Hope to be in it next week. Can't wait to go bush with it and give it a whirl. Thanks for the tip on the revs, I noticed that when I went for a test-drive on the weekend. Seems happiest to change gears just around the 2000rpm.

Latest posts

Back