nissan d40 looses power on high way

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny_emery

Reaction score
Would any body know why my 08 d40 would be loosing power on the high way when I out myfoot down . It's like it ran out of starved for fuel

There are a couple of possibilities.

1) Faulty turbocharger vacuum hoses. Try twisting them, if they're loos-ish then toss them. These will cause the turbo to be less responsive.

2) Dirty/faulty SCV. This component lives on the fuel pump. Remove it, clean it (rinse in fresh diesel when done) and reinstall it. You'll know if the SCV is faulty: take the car gently to 80km/h and then floor it, the car should then go into 'limp mode' (nothing to do with Carsson Kressley), you should find it way underpowered and limited to 2000rpm peak. If you aren't getting those symptoms, forget the SCV.

3) Dirty MAFS. Grab a can of electrical contact cleaner and some tools. Whip the MAFS out of the back of the air intake pipe just near the air box and spray some into the tiny slot near one end - do NOT poke anything into that hole or the MAFS ($400 at your nearest Nissan dealer) will be destroyed. Dirty MAFS will usually result in poor performance, but may not result in a change in the amount of smoke.

I've found that heat soak works at low speeds but once you're above about 60km/h (the book says 45km/h, I reckon my driving lights do block a little flow) the effect is vastly reduced and by 80km/h it's gone completely (evidence: MAFS temperature is the same as ambient at 80km/h or above).

I guess it could be a fuel line restriction as well - like a fuel line has been crushed against the underside, or the pickup has sucked up some debris.

Air in the fuel line will do it too.
Have you changed your fuel filter lately or used a non genuine one, as it could be sucking air under load which would do as described and also ruin the pump eventually.
Or as Tony said i'd check vacuum lines to turbo...

+1 to check vacuum hoses.

i recently installed catch can and rubbed the to hoses as per attached picture and lost about 20% power (turbo not boosting ), once replaced all good.

Attachments

• catch can.jpg
    catch can.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 93
Adelaide to Sydney towing a van, We lost power around Rankin Springs continued all the way. Nissan dealer performed a diagnostic check and said nothing wrong all good. Next trip, Sydney to Nelson Bay lost power five Klm before Nelson Bay next morning was ok.

Welcome aboard Joe. That could easily be the SCV. Happens if you suddenly plant the foot at reasonable RPM (1500+). Those turbo actuator hoses are the FIRST thing to check, primarily because they're often the cause, but also because they're easy to check and fairly cheap to replace.

Would any body know why my 08 d40 would be loosing power on the high way when I out myfoot down . It's like it ran out of starved for fuel

Any luck with a solution yet mate? I have the same thing happening... Not too safe when you're trying to overtake someone

Latest posts

Back