No clear coat?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gos

Reaction score
Dear all
2010 Thai built White D40 ST
I've only polished my truck once or twice since new but wash it regularly. Recently noticed the paint going dull/chalky all over which I thought strange for a modern car. So I used some fine wet and dry and rubbed the paint in an inconspicuous spot and it came off white. Meaning there's no clear coat on the car.
1. Is this normal for my model?
2. Any suggestions to bring my paint/shine back. Which products have you had success with?
2. How abrasive does the polish need to be. Haven't buffed a car in many years!

Thanks
Gos

Are you 100% positive it was paint and not the clear coat coming off? Reason I ask is clear coat when sanded is a whitish colour.

As for general paint jobs on the D40's...Well, they are average at best. Mine has cracked/peeling paint down the roof gutter channels...It has in no way been damaged or aged...They just leave the factory with low quality paint jobs.

If I were you I would be taking it to a proper detailer who knows what they are doing (not your everyday detailer who is abundant)...they can then measure the thickness of the paint over the car. Will give you an idea of how much clear you have to work with.

Mine is due for a full wet sand and polish but it is well out of my capabilities so will leave it as is haha

Solid colours generally dont have a clear coat, especially commercial vehicles. Metallics always have a clear coat.
Yep if your not sure what your doing then go to a detailer.

AFIK all manufacturers these days use a clear over base paint solution.Nobody paints in solids any more.When you rub back clear it shows white on the wet n dry .
I would suggest you go see a painter and get a professional to look at it.

Yeah as said above, get the paints thickness tested, this is done with a small electronic tool. It will tell you straight away what you are dealing with.

Thanks all.

I don't want to go near a clear coat with cutting compound so I'll get some pro advice. It would be odd for a clear coat to fade though.

Cheers

Last time i polished my white 09 thai kingcab the buff pad was white when i finnished..i show no mercy when i polish her but i use to polish mustang crusiers for a living...800 grit wet rub and on with the 3m cutting paste!!! Finish of with perfector and a wax and it was ready for the showroom.i apply the same methods to my car.just i only use a wool pad,perfect-it 2 then wax.comes up like a mirror..get some good compound and one of those electric 2 handle buffs and you wont damage it.

Latest posts

Back