oil capacity

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gutts68

Reaction score
Hi All,
Ive just changed the oil, oil & fuel filters on my d22 str TD 3litre.
I got told to put in 6.5litres of oil. It didnt show up on the dipstick. So I put in 7litres. It is only just showing up on the dipstick and when I took it for a drive it seemed to heat up quicker. I read on the net it should be 7.5L.
Can anyone tell me the correct capcaity please?

Somewhere on this forum there is a post about oil capacity.
I've seen it, and it said not to over fill. Keep it under the full mark (which doesn't exist) on the mongrel twisted dip stick.
Why I don't know but there has to be a reason. Something like too much oil getting into the motor. Not sure.

Yeah my son had a similar prob on his Ford courier 4wd. Oil was going through the turbo or something.That dipstick is shit! I've searched for oil capacity on here but couldn't find anything.

If you overfill it you get more blow by going thru the intake.

Attachments

• oil quantity zd30.JPG
    oil quantity zd30.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 692
My mechanic said the other day there was oil in my turbo and intake.

I also remember discussing oil capacity with him and he said he fills it to the dipstick not the book... Should I ask him just to whack the specified amount in?

6.7 liters sounds right. i think i double checked that myself some years back 6.7 hit the full mark perfectly.
adding extra just makes it blow out the breather.
one thing to watch is angle vehicle is sitting at.
the marks are on the dipstick, easy enough. just hard to get a good line across and not smeared when you pull the dip stick out.

most mechanics seam to overfill these engines. i suspect they read the dipstick and it looks low so they add more. probably find that oil is getting caught in the head or drain tube, so it looks low.
personally try to have no more than 1/2 way on the dipstick unless you run a good catch can.

i always go by the dip stick when replacing engine oil . had an issue with buying some genuine Nissan engine oil from my local nissan spareparts expert /dealer or whatever, he said i needed 2 x 5 litre containers for my d22 / 2.5 litre diesel as its takes over 5 litres to fill and we don,t sell 1 litre containers.
yes i put the amount in he mentioned and then to my surprise the dipstick showed about 15mm over the high limit, i then had to drain out the excess and found out he sold me the engine oil for a d22 / 2 wheel drive not 4 wheel drive. the 2 x 4 takes more oil than the 4 x 4 . so dip stick reading for me from now on. bloody spare parts experts my ****

Thanks fellas,
I left it overnightand checked it this morning. The level was 1/2 way up the dipstick. I measured out how much of the old oil I took out and it was about 7litres. Even though i had filled it on level ground and checked it again after I test drove it maybe I didnt leave it long enough.
Cheers

Back