oil on intake side of turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
Hi all
I was about to do EGR mod on my d40 when removing air filter & pipe from
turbo to get out the bolts i found oil in the intake pipe is this normal ???

You might find the alternator is also impeding removal of the bolts. I blocked my EGR on the other side (driver's side) instead - much, much easier.

Oil in the intake is not unusual. Comes from the PCV - Positive Crankcrase Ventilation. Blow-by enters the crankcase and pressurises it, hot oil mist is caught up and driven out through the top of the motor through an oil trap that doesn't work 100%. This - along with the blow-by gases (= exhaust gas) are fed back through your intake manifold to be ingested by the motor again.

Now that I'm thinking about it, this is more exhaust gas being ingested on top of the deliberate EGR - maybe I should figure a way to remove this from my intake as well, catch the oil and vent the rest to either atmosphere or just above the CAT in the exhaust maybe.

I think it's worth some discussion, anyway.

Yep and the oil (as time goes by) that is being sent back through the intake will also settle in the intercooler, I put about 20ltr of unleaded fuel through my old 3ltr patrol intercooler once just to get the gunk out that had settled in there, and all the gunk on the intake manifold aswell,, made a big differance when it was cleaned though,,, Will be tackling the D40 after the 30000k service this time,,, Are the D40 intercoolers easy enough to take out does any one know

I took my intercooler out for the same reason it was pretty easy to remove a little tricky to install but thats the same for anything under a D40 hood.
Was filled with a fair amount of oil the idle had to reset itself after it was cleaned out.
Even managed to find a oil catch can that fits nicely tucked in under the hood. That is going in this weekend.

after reading about the issue took my inlet pipe, post turbo, off from the metal hoosywatsit beside the rocker cover D40 70,000k. It had little puddles of oil trapped, (it looked like it might be designed to catch a bit) and the pipe down to the intercooler, mmm, filthy. Is this modern technology???? Is it just my num brain or isn't that oil eventually going to clog up my inter-COOLER? Oops that's a rant eh. Catch can it is for me. AND a big day cleaning up the intercooler etc. razzzaafrazzalle!!!!!!! Oh nearly forgot what I was gunna say. Some oil catch cans have a vent on top, which gives you the choice to either vent or send the slightly less blyyyyuck air to the inlet. I know, against the law. Cause it would be soooo much healthier to burn it ehhhh.So I'm not recommending it hehehehe! Hapi dayz.
John

Latest posts

Back