Oils aint Oils Sol

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I obviously dont have a petrol, but I am a big fan of Penrite stuff, so I give that a vote :)

Castrol isn't to bad. There new titanium range looks good. Have used penrite and others but I don't mind the Hi-Tech I'm using now. Again I don't have a petrol.

If its a flat tappet camshaft engine, i recommend a high zinc content oil like Castrol RX Super.

here is what Penrite recommends

HPR 5
HPR05001, HPR05005, HPR05006, HPR05010, HPR05020, HPR05060, HPR05205
Full synthetic engine oil for use in the latest generation of high performance engines. Ideal where this viscosity or SAE 5W-30 or 10W-30 oils are recommended. Particularly suited for engines with variable valve timing as well as where ILSAC GF-3/GF-4/GF-5 and ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 fuel economy oils are called for. Suitable for use in many light duty diesel engines, especially those from Europe. Suitable for use in four stroke motorcycles. HPR 5 now replaces Everyday Full Synthetic 5W-40.
Key Specifications: API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4, Ford M2C-912A/913A/B/153G/H, MB-Approval 229.5, BMW LL-01 Approved, JASO MA1

or HPR 10
HPR10001, HPR10005, HPR10006, HPR10010, HPR10020, HPR10060, HPR10205
Full synthetic wide range viscosity engine oil developed to give the optimum balance between engine protection and fuel economy/power retention. Recommended for use in a wide range of vehicles built since 1996 including those that require 10W-40 and 15W-40 grade oils. HPR 10 now replaces most applications for Everyday Full Synthetic 10W-40 however some applications may require HPR 5 or 10 Tenths Racing SAE 10W-40.
Key Specifications: API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4M2C-910A/M2C-905A3, HN2100, MB229.1, VW500.00/502.00/505.00

or 10 TENTHS PREMIUM FULL SYNTHETIC 0W-50
FS0W50001, FS0W50005, FS0W50020, FS0W50205
Fully synthetic, full zinc, high performance grade, for use where SAE 0W-40 oils are specified. Suitable for many older European petrol and light duty diesel engines and in a wide variety of petrol engines. Suitable for use with E85 fuel. Also ideal for four stroke motorcycles with wet clutches. Replaces SIN 0.
Key Specifications: API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3, BMW LL-98, MB 229.1/229.3, JASO MA, VW 502.00/505.00 , Porsche GL

Whats the Zinc content for Krankin?

Basically a lube/anti scuff additive that most oils dont have or very low content nowadays, due to things like roller type camshafts and emissions (bad for 'cats').

"What is zinc or ZDDP?

Zinc Dialkyl DithioPhosphate, also referred to as ZDDP or the "zinc" in an oil, is a chemical compound which is a very effective anti-wear agent. For this reason, when zinc levels were lowered in oils to meet the latest specifications in some new vehicles, it caused some concern, as older vehicles manufactured pre-2006 needed the high levels of zinc (especially preferred and required by pre-1970s vehicle owners). For futher details on ZDDP and levels of zinc in Penrite engine oils, please refer to Technical Bulletins 137, 169, 192 and 195."

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/192 LATEST ZINC LEVELS.pdf

#note how the Running in oil has a very high zinc content.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would not be using the 10w-50. that just to darn thick.
not sure what the book says but probably a 30 oil or even a 20. so the HPR 0 FULL SYNTHETIC 0w-30 is the better one.

The US book says 0w 30w for all temps
Am going to have a try with the HPR5 5w 40w
However
I might always have a look and see what other decent brands there are at the 0w 30w full synth
Have been running full synth in it for the past 4 years

Been checking some other brands (Castrol, Shell,Mobil ) and they are all suggesting a 5w 40w oil other than Mobil who says Mobil1 for anything and everything lol

Main reason for Penrite is AFIK its an Aussie company and to be honest never heard anything bad about them

Last edited:
Went with the HPR 5
$47 from Supercheap for 6ltof oil plus a funnel. Gotta love 20% off days lol

the full blurb

HPR 5 5W-40
Codes: HPR05001, HPR05005, HPR05006, HPR05010,
HPR05020, HPR05060, HPR05205
Issue: March 2012
Penrite HPR 5 is a premium quality, full synthetic SAE 5W-40 petrol engine oil. It uses a combination of the latest additive technology and a low shear rate viscosity modifier, ensures additional protection against wear, corrosion, oil oxidation and sludge under tough Australian conditions.
Penrite HPR 5 exceeds the requirements of API SN/CF and the European Standards ACEA A3/B4, as well as many manufacturers’ specifications.
Application
Designed for use in latest generation petrol engines such as multi-cam, multi-valve, turbocharged and supercharged engines including the new high output European and Japanese engines.
Also recommended for engines with variable valve timing. Specific applications include MG-F, MG-TF, MG-ZT, post 1998 vehicles manufactured by Volvo, Subaru and SAAB, high performance Japanese cars and other vehicles that specify the use of SAE 5W-30, 10W-30 or 5W-40 oils in the owner’s handbook. HPR 5 can be used where the ILSAC GF-3/GF-4/GF-5, ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5 fuel economy specifications are specified. Suitable for use in four stroke motorcycles.
Penrite HPR 5 is ideal for many light duty diesel engines where API CF, ACEA A3/B3 or ACEA A3/B4 is recommended.
Replaces Everyday Full Synthetic 5W-40.
Customer Benefits
• Greater engine protection at operating temperatures compared to 5W-30 oils due to higher operating viscosity.
• Longer engine life by reducing formation of high temperature engine deposits.
• Longer oil life and less oil consumption.
• Low start-up viscosity provides engine protection and power/fuel economy retention at the most critical time of the engine’s run cycle.
Industry Specifications
API SN/CF ACEA A3/B4 JASO MA1 VW 502.00/505.00
Ford M2C912-A/913-A/913-B/153-G/153-H SAAB Opel B040 2095
GM 4718M Renault Volvo Rover RES.22.OL.22
Chrysler MS-6395G Porsche A40 GM-LL-B-025
Approvals
MB - Approval 229.5 BMW Longlife-01
Typical Data
Density at 15oC, kg/L 0.854
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt
at 40oC 92
at 100oC 15.0
Viscosity Index 173
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP at -30oC 6446
Zinc, Mass % 0.105
Phosphorus, Mass % 0.096
Sulphated Ash, mass % 1.09
Base Number, mass % 10.1

Not trying to change your mind but based on Australian ownership you could also choose Nulon although they haven't been around for eleventy twelve hundred years like Penrite.

We use Penrite for our high performance engines, all the lawn mowers get it :big_smile:

I only use Nulon because it's the only DPF oil I could get locally at the first oil change and it's just easier to keep buying, it may be no better or worse than Penrite, but like Penrite atleast it's aussie owned.

A 4lt lawn mower now that would be impressive lol

At the end of the day we would all buy Aussie if we could. But sometimes wealso go with whats best for us.
When you get the good Aussie stuff then its a win win deal

Hmmm we did come very close to getting the 302 in the Greenfield many years ago, the plans are still floating around I believe.

But I think my Victa push mower is a little under 4l.

I agree we will all go with what is best for us but I'll also be devils advocate and say there is no reason to over look either Penrite or Nulon for 95% of oil usage.

years ago I converted from Mobil to Shell in my 4Runner and it started to get better fuel economy
I would love that the change to Penrite did the same.But I have been getting it serviced by the local workshop and they have been using some other top quality Synth in it so it should in theory be no change but Ill save some bucks doing the work myself .
Just have to sort out the coolant now and ill be good to go

I don't know if I have had any benefit from my oil but my economy figures are a lot different to many quoted on here, however I also drive like an old man.

Everyone I spoke to when buying my coolant stated they'd never found "Nissan equivalent" coolant. I even read on the Fuchs website that they haven't been able to replicate it. I know some suggest that fully draining and changing to something else wont pose a risk and that's fine but in the end I just gave Nissan forty something bucks for 5 liters which dilutes to 10 (I think). Figured if there was something in theirs that others can't replicate then $40 was a small price to pay for something I'm only planning on replacing every 80K.

Dave the Nissan expert also told me pretty much the same thing :sarcastic:

Looks like a trip to Nissan to get coolant then
Not even going to think about the brake fluid. Got warnedmany were having to replace master cylinders after dropping the fluid and changing it.Pathy drivers were even in worse trouble with their units apparently
So Ill stick with the new oil and coolant and forget the rest for now

I wouldn't be concerned too much about brake fluid because from what I know (which may not be much) it is pretty much the same as oil, as long as it meets Nissan specs the flavour barely changes. Coolant apparently the flavour does change to the point of nothing else like it, but I've no definite proof on either.

All I know is that last time I replaced my brake fluid with blue stuff instead of Nissan red stuff and have had no issues and it's the same spec and one of the brands the local Nissan dealer claims they use. The only thing the book recommends is DOT3 or DOT4 but they suggest never mixing the two and it has DOT4 from the factory therefore anything but a complete flush should have DOT4 put back in.

Latest posts

Back