Oils.... Opinions???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D22FELLA

Reaction score
Gday all,

Im up for an oil change again on my 06 D22 ZD30, 98,500km on the clock.

Its ran the Nissan 10w-40 Semi Synthetic oil all its life, never missed a service (Every 5000km or 6 months).

I was just having a peruse on the net and noticed I can get 10L of Valvoline Super Diesel on special for $41.99.

Anyone used or recommend this??? Is it suitable for the ZD30 engine??

All opinions appreciated, thanks.

I always use Valvoline Super Diesel on both of my Zd30 (Patrol and D22)
15w-40

I change every 5,000kms

Sweet, I just remember somewhere saying that the oil should be ACEA:B3 approved.

I wouldn't think Valvoline would put their name on shit :)

Thanks mate

Also anyone used Penrite HPR Diesel 15W-50?

Yes I use this, it has extra zinc which is apparently good for flat tappet engines like the ZD30 although I expect there's nothing wrong with the Valvoline either as it's the right range, I'm biased towards Penrite because I've been using it on many vehicles for many years and haven't been let down so far and it's an Australian company.

Mate nothing wrong with being biased, all my Toyota mates reckon I am ;)

Thanks for the feedback

I have been using Magnetec diesel for last 60k... done 120k and all good..

Runs smooth until about 6k (from last change) then gets a little noisy

Always warm up and warm down for a good minute, more if towing/etc

No problems....

I am very impressed with the Valvoline; I honestly find it better than the Nissan oil.

That said, when I feel like giving my car a 'treat', I run either Penrite 10w-40 or 15w-50, depending on whats on special ;) Although to be honest, there isn't much in it compared to the Valvoline.

My engine is the YD25, and FYI, you can easily fit a Supercheap Z9 filter or a Ryco High Efficiency Z9. The standard RYCO Z9 does not fit easily. I'd probably recommend staying away from the HE, as you need to change it every 5000km, that said, its a great filter to chuck in every once and a while to really clean the crap out!! :)

I like running the bigger Z9 as it allows me to put that little bit of extra oil in ;)

I was doing a lot of driving, so I stocked up big when Repco had special deals etc. ATM I've got 20 Litres of Valvoline sitting in the garage because it really is a great value oil!

I change every 5000km BTW, and I notice a difference every change! I also have an EGR blocking plate to help reduce crud!

Latest posts

Back