On COLD start Faint belt slip noice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAV012

Reaction score
Hey guys

New to the navaras and have just noticed on a cold start the 2.5tdi has a faint belt slip type noise

Any help muchly appreciated

NAV012

It could come from the belt but more commonly it's the idler pulley near the alternator. It has a protective cap behind the head of the bolt securing it, but spraying WD-40 or (even better) Silicone Lube through the thin nozzle extension behind that cap usually produces good results.

It's a sign of a couple of things: first, that the bearings in that idler either are damaged or have debris in them, and second that your car's either been in water (that's ok) or had its engine bay pressure-washed (a no-no).

Thanks heaps old Tony will give that a go, seams that this may be the problem, your full of knowledge thanks buddy

just a little tip, if its down to the pulley bearings, dont just throw them away but just replace the pressed bearing in the middle, the bearing price is 2-3 dollars each.
also a good idea to change the rest of them if you are on high milage and be done with them for the next years.
file.php

there is nothing wrong with pressure washing the engine bay if you mask alternator, connections which arent waterproof and remove batter terminals to avoid any possible shorts, what is crusial is do it with the engine a bit warm, so for example have it running for 5mins then use the pressure machine but from a good distance, at least 1 meter away or you can strip wires... its not for the feint hearted i know !

Old Tony anychance you can get a pic of the part I need to spray please mate

Oddly enough, the part is in the big photo above. It's the roller just to the left of the alternator as you're standing at the front of the car looking in to the engine bay. My garage has a pic of the engine bay with the alternator marked.

The picture above shows the covers over the bearing that you need to spray behind. I don't spray while the engine is running, I value my fingers too much, but I do start the car seconds after I spray the bearing.

yes sorry for the size, its way better if you open the image link on new page....
yes when i lubricated mine it stopped the noise for some time but the bearing was bad anyway so i did it along with the belts, all you need to change the bearing is the big socket and a hammer and 5 minutes of your time :)

So noticed tonight it's also making this noise while driving now, pulled up at home poped the bonnet and it seams to be coming from down low on left hand side when looking at motor from front
As seen in pic below

Last edited:
Which bearing is the one you guys speak of sorry for the shit pics taken at 9pm tonight while I was quite cranky

Anyone, is it the fan belt the idler bearing any ideas, or do I just replace all belts

Anyone, is it the fan belt the idler bearing any ideas, or do I just replace all belts

100% the idler bearing, I had the same noise, sprayed some wd 40 in there and no more noise. Now that I have identified the culprit I will change the bearings I think as that noise gets real annoying!!

The object of interest in the first photo is the power steering pump which is usually pretty good and relatively trouble-free. There's an idler pulley a little higher than it and towards the centreline of the engine, it is more likely to be a source of noise (or the belt).

The idler pulley we're talking about is in the second photo, it's the black one in the middle. To the right is the alternator, the air conditioning compressor is below it, the water pump is to the left with the cooling fan assembly hanging off the front (of the water pump - that's a fairly typical arrangement).

Thanks Tony sorry for all the questions guys I have no idea with these new motors :(
So do I spray behind the bolt or the the pully

hey mate, you need to spray behind the pulley cover where the bearing is because it the item making the noise. wd40 should be sprayed on the bearing thats in the middle of the pulley i linked you in the image.

So after all this time a week ;), decided to pop the hood and have a good look at the belts it seams the powersteering belt had a bit of road base jammed in it and has slightly split the belt in the process, will know In the morning of this is the culprit

So no whining this morning, so winning for now will need a new belt soon but :)

Latest posts

Back