Parts/tests required for head replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibbo123

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've got a suspected cracked head on my ZD30. I'm taking it off in the next few days to send off to be tested but in the mean time I want to start ordering parts required for putting either a new head on or new head gasket and original head.

So far on the parts list I've got a new genuine timing kit, head bolts, glow plugs, Nissan coolant, engine oil and filter. Plus either a new head, new head gasket, etc.. whatever is required. Full gasket kit will come with the new head, otherwise I'll order a new kit for the old head. Anything else?

While the head is off I'm going to get the radiator cleaned and tested and do the glow plug time mod. Anything else worth doing?

Are the head bolts a standard hex head or a Torx bolt?

Cheers, Tim

Last edited:
You need a 14 mm socket not the one with the hex inside but the one that looks like a star. You will need an angle torque wrench and a standard torque wrench capable of 40 nm and 105 nm. Not a hard job just lots of shat to remove. Got an exchange head from a guy here in nz. Send him yours and he will chuck all your bits on a bare head set it up with correct clearance for the valves. He also supplied a full head gasket kit. All for under 1600. His company is cylinder head supplies. Great dude awesome products. Make sure you put a new water pump thermostat and check/replace radiator also. I'm doing my turbo bearings while it's out also. Thinking bout doing an egg gauge port in the manifold while it's easy to get to.
Anyone know what size thread is the best to use. Good luck crank the sounds in the garage lock the kids out and get into it. Also get some grunty De greaser and clean ll the crud out of the inlet manifold.

Latest posts

Back