rattling/ vibration noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Fellas,

I'm interested if anyone has nailed this Noise as I have had the same problem on my 2005 3.0 z30. It sounds like an exhaust rattle or baffle loose in the muffler but is only there around 2000 revs when you back off a little, but is not there under acceleration.
Anyone come up with an answer?

Cheers SOLO

sorry i forgot to update this. the rattle was insulation missing on the exhaust apparently. they replaced it and it is now fixed

G'day guys,

I went looking today to try and find the cause of my engine/exhaust noise.
I took the heat shield off and could not find and sign of a leak in the exhaust or turbo. EGR flanges all seemed good.

Whilst underneath looking up at the back of the motor I could see some oil staining around a flange bolted to the back of the head between the firewall and the motor. This is almost in accessible but I did manage to get a12mm flat ring spanner in there and felt my way onto the bolt heads and tightened them a fraction of a turn.

Surprisingly this has had the result of eliminating the noise I was concerned about. How this little flange joint could make so much noise is beyond me. I don't even know what this pipe does? Its about 20mm diameter ( sits above the EGR pipe from the turbo) and disappears down behind the starter and connects to a hose? What is it?

I thought that I might reduce an oil leak but I was amazed that it fixed the noise. So this might be worth a try for those D22 Z30 owners who have these symptoms.

Cheers SOLO:rock:

G'day guys,

I went looking today to try and find the cause of my engine/exhaust noise.

Surprisingly this has had the result of eliminating the noise I was concerned about. How this little flange joint could make so much noise is beyond me. I don't even know what this pipe does? Its about 20mm diameter ( sits above the EGR pipe from the turbo) and disappears down behind the starter and connects to a hose? What is it?

Cheers SOLO:rock:

Hi lads,

Solo,I also have an 05 zd30 doing the same thing at approx 2500RPM is the line you tightened the oil return line? i've added a pic

Cheers

Attachments

• nav eng.jpg
    nav eng.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 109
that was a typo before sorry i meant to say 2000RPM. under and not under load, just whan ever it passes through the rev range. its very odd :/

Hi guys I'm new to this site so still working out how to use it but I found this part and similar problem. I have a d22 2006 3.0L that I've recently bought and have noticed a noise whist driving. I know it's not from diff of gearbox as the noise goes with revs and also when I put clutch in it follows the revs. It doesn't have the noise when it's cold only when hot. It's sound a similar to a pully bearing but more at the top of the motor, not a knocking sound. More a quiet winding sound. Have taken to a few mechanics and they are unsure some said maybe valve clearence maybe timing chain another said erg? Fuel rail any comments would be helpful it also only has 115,000 km cheers

There are a number of possibilities up there.

1) Radiator fan blades. A crack in a blade can cause the blade to flutter. It won't do it when cold, because the fluid drive doesn't engage the fan fully until the engine is hot.

2) Radiator fan fluid drive. Usually check it by replacing it and seeing if it still does it. You can remove it, and run the engine for a small amount of time with it off the engine.

3) Water pump. Usually sits behind the radiator fan and provides the bearings for it. If the fan is off the car and it's still making the noise, a mechanic's stethoscope placed on the pump housing will reveal it.

4) Alternator bearings. Take the belt off and turn the alternator over by hand, it should be very smooth to turn. Sometimes a spritz of silicone lube (preferred) or WD40 will help but if you have to do this, the alternator may be in need of replacement. For your car, consider a replacement from a Patrol - 30 more amps is nice!

4) Camshaft bearings. Nasty, use a mechanic's stethoscope on the rocker cover to hear them.

5) Timing chain. Almost unheard of with the ZD30, but have a listen with that stethoscope to the front of the motor.

6) EGR is a possibility. Look for black powder on the little pipe that runs around from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold. It might be cracked anywhere, but often at the base near the exhaust manifold connection.

engine noise/ metallic rattle sound after 2200 rpm

hi guys just read through this forum and went out to check my Ute, black powder around the front of the EGR unit where the pipe bolts in on the intake side, bolts are gone hahaha, i was looking under the car at the tail-shaft bearing and uni because i just got it lifted and thought it could be that the tail-shaft had too much angle now but had a feeling it wasn't that because it wasn't a consistent noise while moving or increasing with speed of the car only, but thanks Old.Tony for the knowledge

Latest posts

Back