Rear 4 Link

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And then I made some bump stop strikers out of 5mm plate

Next step is tacking the bump cans in and getting the shock hoops bent up on Friday

Few flex shots of the 4 link, really happy with the geometry. There is next to no axle warp, building a 4 link is about the only time my physics degree comes in handy ;)

You can see there is very little deflection of the bolting face for the third member. It should return good driveline angles even at full droop

Tacked the bump cans in next with the bracing I made. Not a big fan of how it turned out so Im going to notch the chassis 28mm and weld the bump cans in

Next shot is of the upper shock mounts bolted in place

And finally the test bit before I got the shock hoops bent up, this is where I will notch the chassis

Notched one of the shock brackets today

I still want to trim some additional material off these brackets, they are bloody heavy!

And the shock hoops, made up of 44mm roll cage tubing. Nice and light but super strong

Makes me thirsty just thinking about all the work your putting in to it.

Ohh don't worry about that, there have been many beers consumed building the rear end. I'm off racing this weekend with a mate at Bencubbin so there wont be much progress for a few weeks

I havnt done much on the car in the last 2 weeks. Been busy with other crap. I will have an update (and pics) by the weekend. Hoping to have most of the shock towers burnt in

I put in a GU steering box and pulled out the ABS, old fuel lines and old brake lines.

Got the shock hoops and shock towers tacked in place. Will weld it all up tomorrow

Made a fuel tank cross member this week out of 25 x 25 Med wall SHS to mount the patrol tank. I used the 3 original holes on the tank on either size with M8 bolts

I had to mount the tank backwards (fuel sender is normally on drivers side) as It gave me better clearance for the bypasses

As you can see in the last photo the tank sits up nice and high. The rear cross member which will tie the back of the chassis together is a piece of 70 x 50 x 6mm RHS. With the correct bracing I should have no problems recovering off the rear of the chassis should I choose to do a CCDA event. I have tapped the 3 M8 x 1.25 bolt holes directly into the cross member for the fuel tank.

Just some advice as I've done a similar thing before. Next time I would recommend you bolt the cross members rather than welding. The chassis flex could result in the RHS tube splitting at the heat effected zone next to the welds.

It is embarrassing when your fuel tank in or in my case a LPG cylinder falls out on the tracks.:top:

I thought about that but I couldn't see any other way around it. I'm pretty confident in my welding ability and the car will only do 2000kms a year. We shall see how it goes.....

Been plodding along with the build this weekend. Notched the chassis on Friday for the bump cans, went in about 1/2 way. Tacked them in Saturday. There is a 50mm solid bar inside to stop them shrinking smaller than 50mm. This is a common problem when welding bump cans. I left it in there for a good 30 mins while the metal cooled.

I drilled a 19mm hole in the bottom of the GQ tank and put a 1/2 Bsp fitting in to act as a drain plug

I put both sets of shocks in and flexed it up to see how everything was looking. The only problem I found was that the lower coilover brackets were too small for the massive eyes on the 3.0 fox shocks. I will have to design some shock tabs in CAD and get them laser cut this week

Really pulled my finger out this weekend and got heaps done on the truck

Primed all of the exposed metal/welds

Cutting brakes arrived

I found a direct bolt on Twin piston caliper for the rear axle. Just need to see if I can find some thicker disks as the current gap is about 8mm too big

And finally got both of the rear brake lines done on the axle

This week I will aim to get the fuel sent and fuel return lines plumbed up and installed under the truck.

Spent some long hours in the shed on Friday and Saturday. Feel like the truck is finally coming together now and I can see it being finished. I lost interest there for a while as there was soo much work to do.

Here is an update:
Picked up the crown wheel and pinion and brake disks from getting heat and cryo treated on Tuesday
Brake lines are done for the upper link arms

I also welded on a S/Steel bracket for the braided lines to attach to but forgot to take photos

Latest posts

Back