Rear Diff Competely stuffed!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickars2

Reaction score
well i think im still in shock atm of the phone call i had an hour ago.

my rear diff is at difflap in brisbane getting rebuilt and the damage report come in and it's alot worse then anyone thought.
axel housing bent, the locker has shit it self the crown wheel has 3 teeth off it.

the gear set 1100
axel housing 2000
new locker 1400
labour 750

total $5250

like what the f^%$,
well i decided to cut my lose's and by a second hand diff it it's getting fitted and so ill get the car back tuesday.

and then i get the report and the old diff back and i can chase arb up about the locker shitting it self as they have a 2 year warrenty on them.
so hopefully they cover it ah, otherwise i dont have a locker anymore.

well im not a happy man to put it straight

oh man that sucks. Was thinking of getting an ARB diff locker just after Xmas. Can you please post up how the warrenty goes when u find out.

yeah i will, i talked to coastal 4x4 who put the locker in and there going to do as much as they can to get it covered under warrenty.
so hopefully they cover it cause i still want a rear lokka ah.

talked to coastal and they reckon arb probably wont cover the rear locker as they reckon metal might have gone through it and broken it. but i guess we will have to wait and see what the damage report says ah.

whats the good of a warranty then...i'd not accept that. dig your heels in i say. sorry mate

yeah it does suck.

i wasn't doing anything extreme when we went 4wding. and the noise started and got it all sent to diff lap.
and they reckon the crown wheel broke 3 teeth and the metal going through the diff might have stuffed it, but this i heard second hand im going to wait till diff laps damage report comes cause the locker was still working and i dont know how it could be stuffed.
worse case i have to replace the spider gear's and the seal's i dont think it would be much.
but i guess i have to wait and see.
they reckon the diff housing was bent but i dont know how that happened and if it was wouldn't the axel's be making a noise or broken one??

well we have a feel that it snapped 1 tooth off the crown wheel before hand and that it just made the other teeth weaker and then they snapped off and one got lodged somewhere and rubbed on the outside of the locker a bit but no sturctural or internal damage, but if fine bits of metal going through the diff can wreck it there no to strong ah.
like i could under stand if a tooth went in there but it didn't.
so i guess we will wait an see, the lsd goes in and then ill get the locker taken out of the old one and get it tested to see if it works and if it's stuff and go from there.
if it's completely stuffed ill be going a front lokka first, then later maybe think about putting the rear locker in. atleast if i have to buy a locker it's only the locker i need not the compressor or wiring or air hose's, so it will be alot cheaper as everything is there ah.

with the amount of power you have with the chip and the gas, i would look at converting to the diffs off the petrol version.

considering the motor is probably pushing out 120kw, which is standard in the zd30 patrols and they have almost a 9" rear diff.

i think the old 3.2 QD32 powered navaras use the same diffs as the v6 petrol navaras.
not sure why the more later model, more powerful, diesels got smaller diffs. penny pinching?

patrols, h260 rear, h233b front.

i think the petrols are h233b rear, not sure on the front.

i think i got the bit about QD32 wrong, it runs the same diff as ZD30 but different ratio.

Latest posts

Back