Rear Main Seal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oz14zz

Reaction score
Hey guys, im looking at a car on monday and the owner says it has a small leak from the rear main seal, he is going to replace it before i purchase it (he says that anyway).

Just wondering what could have caused it, and what other issues could have become apparent to look for.

FYI the car has 82,000kms

Cheers Aaron

the car has a performance chip and 3" exhaust, could the extra power cause it?

when I bought my D22 half the ones I looked at had rear main seal leaks, just seems to be a D22 thing... get him to replace it for sure though.

i was talking to a nissan mechanic, said that rear main is uncommon, problem is i trust guys on forums more than him. im no so worried about it have a issue with the seal as it will be fixed before i get it. BUT!!! im worried it might have underlying issues?

Lack of oil changes? dirty oil.
Thats what i heard over the years.

Yep ! as the oil ages and breaks down it turns acidic and starts to eat at the seals, also over filling can cause rear main to leak.
Does it have service record showing regular services ? mine has 180,000 km on it and no oil leaks at all, it was one owner with full service history when I got it, also rear main leaks and others can relate to age ie wear and tear from high km's but 80,000 km isn't high, my friends Patrol (ZD30) had 328,000 km on it before he traded it, still on original turbo and clutch, if he ever missed an oil change by more than a couple of thousand he'd change it and then change it again after a thousand to give it a flush (expensive mistake to miss an oil change) but that's what he was prepared to do, it cost him over 50k new.

ZD30 in the patrol is weird though, some people it dies early on then others it just keeps on going

he said he doesnt have log books, but makes sure he changes oil every 5-6000kms, might be a case of him replacing it and I make sure it is serviced right when i have it.

Just puts my mind at ease if there arnt any underlying issues causing it beside's inproper servicing.

he said he doesnt have log books, but makes sure he changes oil every 5-6000kms, might be a case of him replacing it and I make sure it is serviced right when i have it.

Just puts my mind at ease if there arnt any underlying issues causing it beside's inproper servicing.

Remember he could be saying that as a sales pitch. Just be careful. I'd recommend getting an RACV or NRMA or RACQ per purchase mechanical vehicle inspection guy (not sure which state you're from but you'll understand where I'm getting at) to go and have a thorough look over everything in it. It is a bit costly ($250 in Victoria where I am) but mate it could save you thousands in the long run. Or get the nav taken to a mechanic you trust and have him look over it.

As above, even if it is from lack of servicing it could still cause other issues... Just keep that in mind if you are planning on keeping it long term. Personally unless the car is really cheap, I wouldn't touch it without a service history of some description, even if its only receipts from a mechanic. You never know what other damage has been done to the bearings, etc inside the motor.

Im guessing this is my car your looking at?
I have a build up on here you can look at and see what i've broken, replaced and upgraded.
As far as servicing goes, i have serviced it every 5000 since ive owned it at 48,000 (now has 84,000)
The rear main should be fixed this week, along with a full service.

yea dom dont take offence mate, im Aaron, i believe you but it was the only thing haunting my mind. Cant wait to see it

none at all taken at all! i know exactly where your coming from.
my phone broke on the weekend, can you message me your number again so i can let you know when im in sydney

Im guessing this is my car your looking at?
I have a build up on here you can look at and see what i've broken, replaced and upgraded.
As far as servicing goes, i have serviced it every 5000 since ive owned it at 48,000 (now has 84,000)
The rear main should be fixed this week, along with a full service.

Dom if you don't mind me asking what did it cost to get the rear main seal replaced in the end.. my ute has just developed this leak not happy

Remember he could be saying that as a sales pitch. Just be careful. I'd recommend getting an RACV or NRMA or RACQ per purchase mechanical vehicle inspection guy (not sure which state you're from but you'll understand where I'm getting at) to go and have a thorough look over everything in it. It is a bit costly ($250 in Victoria where I am) but mate it could save you thousands in the long run. Or get the nav taken to a mechanic you trust and have him look over it.
Sorry but all sellers tell you what you want to hear to sell, be it Private or Dealer, No service books is a Red Flag and at 84000 Definitely, If the service books aren't there what else are they hiding. We just brought one with more Km on it No Books told previous owner Had changed oil Every 5000 and Now I ? that and I lot of other things Wise in hindsight Not. The rear engine seal Isn't an easy fix It's a major job, ever the engine or the transmission bell housing has to be removed, More likly he will do the Supercheap bottle fix option $55.00 and some degreaser problem solved!

Latest posts

Back