Recall - D40 Navara & R51 Pathfinder Hood Latch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it's the kind of weight that would effect the recall otherwise Nissan would have asked everyone what they tow and how they tow it.

I was just wondering towing a caravan with load levellers on would this put extra weight on the front with a 2.5 ton van pete

I agree with Krafty.

When you put the ball weight of your van - in your case, it should be 220-250Kg - on the back of your Navara, some of that weight is (through the see-saw lever effect) removed from the front axle of the Navara.

The load levellers - also called "weight distribution hitches" (WDH) are supposed to return the vehicle to level, so if you want to crunch the numbers, the exact amount SHOULD be:

Tow vehicle = 2500kg
Ball weight = 250kg
Even distribution across axles of Navara = 125kg + 125kg

So you're looking at 125kg added to the front axle with the trailer and WDH attached.

I thought with 2,000kg or higher trailers that you didn't have to go exactly 10% on the ball, you could go a little lower. Depends on how the entire rig behaves, I guess. If it's wobbling/swaying a lot, the weight should be moved around a bit to manage that.

I would not recommend the use of anti-sway mechanisms. If you're pulling that much weight, it's on two axles anyway so it is going to be a lot more stable. If it's swaying around, it's either a super-high wind or the weight is distributed poorly. Fitting an anti-sway device to overcome a poor loading is a bad solution.

that stupid strap fell off from the bonnet side in 3 weeks after installation and i havent even driven off road yet ,wait i live in sydney its like driving off road from the potholes:sarcastic:

Sorry to drag up this thread although I took my Navara in yesterday for the recall notices.
They replaced the alloys, although the service person said I did not need the bonnet latch, and because I have a aftermarket bar on it (ARB) then its void anyhow.

Does this seem correct?

Sorry to drag up this thread although I took my Navara in yesterday for the recall notices.
They replaced the alloys, although the service person said I did not need the bonnet latch, and because I have a aftermarket bar on it (ARB) then its void anyhow.

Does this seem correct?

No that's completely invorrect!! Do you have standard suspension though?

Tezza, first you need to determine if your car should have been recalled for the bonnet latch issue. The Aust Gov Recall Page is the place to go to find out, check the VINs against yours.

If yours is listed there, stick a winch on it (even if you have to borrow one) and go see another dealer. With the winch's weight combined, Nissan will "spring" you a new set of front coils as well as the bonnet retention strap.

Thanks Tony. Mine is in the VIN range.
I though that just a aftermarket bullbat would be enough for the latch and free springs.

Any reason why I couldn't go back to the original dealer?

Not really, it's just that you've already tried that one and they thought you were selling them fish cakes. I had thought that another dealer might possibly be between joints and more able to attend to your needs.

It's not just a bullbar - it's an amount of weight. The bullbar alone comes just under the limit, the 38Kg winch takes it well over.

Latest posts

Back