Recall - D40 Navara & R51 Pathfinder Hood Latch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the call for mine to go in, parts have arrived and it's now booked for early August to have them fitted.

I'm definitely getting new springs and a retaining cable. I can't wait, I love Lego.

Does anyone know if this needs to be done on the 2010 models. I haven't even picked mine up yet, will be pissed if I get a brand new car with an "afterthought" of a fix. That strap thing looks like a real pain and by the looks of the end attachment setup there is a flat spring that is supposed to stop the eye from sliding on the pin? What happens when, in a few years time, that spring loses its properties, are Nissan going to have a recall on a recall?

I would suggest that as this has been an official recall that the issues will be attended to on all new cars, what they do may be different to what they have done to our cars on the grounds that it might be done at the factory but they'd be silly not to fix them before the customer picks them up and claims a warranty that costs both Nissan and the dealer money.

If it were me I would probably mention it to the dealer (and believe what you wish) especially if you are planning on getting an after market bar or winch and see what they say. If you're getting a factory one and they don't address the issue then there is something wrong.

Bottom line is it can't hurt to ask, but then if you believe the fixes that people here have had done are not good enough be prepared to pay for something different because Nissan wont do more than they have to whether you have changing circumstances in the future or not.

Anyone own a Ford Ranger? There was a recall relating to the bonnet latch announced in the press yesterday, from the description it's a similar problem to this one. Be interesting too see if they have a better fix for the problem or if they just copied Nissan.

I don't own a Nav yet but reckon it's a pathetic attempt at fixing the issue, our Hilux at work was recalled for the same issue and Toyota fitted it with an extra plate surrounding the loop which was said to have separated from the bonnet in some cases.

The alternative in the D40 (as told to me by the service department) was to replace the entire support across the front (the one that the bonnet catch is mounted on), replace the bonnet and upgrade the suspension.

The cable is a cheap solution, I don't really like it but since I've got little choice while I want my vehicle covered by warranty, I have to live with it. I am pleased that they upgraded the springs, but I'm not a fan of the short-cut solution to the bonnet catch issue.

Nissan replaced the whole bonnet and also the bonnet catch on mine, support stayed the same, just the catch replaced. No strap fitted. 06 STX without bull bar.

Nissan replaced the whole bonnet and also the bonnet catch on mine, support stayed the same, just the catch replaced. No strap fitted. 06 STX without bull bar.

If that's the case Ollie, I'm guessing that they actually found a crack during the inspections. Normally those without bullbars were not really a problem.

I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket latch assembly that will fit the D40. Mine is yet to go in but I am waiting until I get a bullbar. If it is a reasonable fix I'd rather upgrade it myself rather than have the strap fitted.

As far as I am aware there has been no mention of after market latches but then there is nothing to say that a body builder or the like couldn't repair the problem that Nissan found removing the need for a strap.

I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket latch assembly that will fit the D40. Mine is yet to go in but I am waiting until I get a bullbar. If it is a reasonable fix I'd rather upgrade it myself rather than have the strap fitted.

Kiwi

Nissan will fit that strap regardless when you next take it in for a service. My VIN was not specifically listed in the recall but when I took the ute in for a service they told me it had to be done. I argued like crazy not to have the strap but they told me it was a legal requirement. I relented in the end.

question i just had the recall done on my truck and had the heavy duty springs installed aswell... is it me or is the car higher now

i wish i had messured it before

No it will be taller.The old springs were a much softer spring rate and will have sagged. the new ones will have a stronger rate so will have lifted your front end.
Am curious what happens with the Spanish trucks if they lift them what happens with camber?
I wonder if they do a wheel alignment after lifting the truck back up?

They didn't do a wheel alignment on mine, but I've since had new tyres put on and I watched them do the alignment (from a distance, so I don't have any detail).

For them to have replaced your springs, you'd have to have > 55Kg on the front - usually means a steel bar and a winch.

Latest posts

Back