Recall For Alloy Wheels

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nissan Motor Co—Navara D40 ST-X Dual Cab
PRA number: 2011/12582
Date created: 18th May 2011
Product information
Product description
Nissan Navara D40 ST-X Dual Cab - utility vehicle
Identifying features
Model: D40 Navara
VIN RANGE: VSKCLAD40A0025460 - VSKCLAD40A0335424
Total:2279

VIN RANGE: VSKCLAD40A0025460 - VSKCLAD40A0335424
Total:2279

VIN RANGE: VSKCLND40A0033906 -VSKCLND40A0900600
Total: 3155

VIN RANGE: VSKCVND40A0025461 -VSKCVND40A0901091
Total: 23694
What are the hazards?
If the vehicle continues to be driven, the crack may propagate around the other wheel spokes. This condition is expected to create a change in the vehicle handling, however, should this condition be ignored it could in extreme cases lead to wheel detachment.
What are the defects?
In certain rare instances where the vehicle is used under full load conditions and cornering at high lateral acceleration, a crack may occur on the spoke of the alloy wheel.
Dates available for sale

1st June 2005 - 3rd July 2008

Where the product was sold

Nationally

Traders who sold this product
Nissan authorised dealers
Supplier
Nissan Motor Co. (Australia) Pty Ltd ("Nissan")
Supplier's web site
Nissan Australia: Shift The Way You Move. Cars, 4x4's, Dealers
What should consumers do?
Nissan will contact owners of potentially affected vehicles by mid June 2011 to inform them of this recall and request each owner to contact their Nissan dealer to arrange for their alloy road wheels to be inspected and replaced free of charge as required.
Advertisements and supporting documentation
NAV0457_140x110mm_recall_Newsnet indd (2).pdf (112.5 KB)

Print
Follow ProductSafetyAU on Twitter
Related Topics

Nissan

Feedback | Contact us | Disclaimer & copyright | Privacy | Help | Accessibility

Nissan Navara (D40) ST-X Dual Cab
Produced between 01 June 2005 and 03 July 2008
Defect: Nissan Motor Company (Australia) Pty Ltd is recalling the Nissan
Navara ST-X Dual Cab produced between 01 June 2005 and 03 July 2008.
In certain rare instances, where the vehicle is used under full load conditions
and cornering at high lateral acceleration, a crack may occur on the spoke of
the alloy wheel.
Hazard: If the vehicle continues to be driven, the crack may propagate around
the other wheel spokes. This condition is expected to create a change in the
vehicle handling, however, should this condition be ignored it could in extreme
cases lead to wheel detachment.
What to do: Nissan will contact owners of potentially affected vehicles around
mid June 2011 to inform them of this recall and request each owner to contact
their Nissan dealer to arrange for their alloy road wheels to be inspected and
replaced free of charge as required.
Contact Details: If you have any further inquiries, please contact your Nissan
Dealer or the Nissan Customer Service Centre on 1800 035 035.
Product Safety Recall
NAV0457

Created 18th May. I suppose given the situations needed to be met to actually cause the crack, most of our vehicles will only need an inspection. I would hope that inspection would be fairly thorough though.

For my vehicle in particular, we are often carrying about 2800kg in the Navara, then we slap the 1800kg van on the back - and we take it on unsealed roads. That won't put the lateral loads on that you could create - because I don't drive like a lunatic - but the vehicle still has a lot of stress in it.

An interesting thing is the VIN ranges and dates quoted. Someone's made a mistake somewhere! My VIN is most definitely in the last range quoted - in fact it is in the earlier part of that range - yet my manufacture date is July 2009, most definitely outside the date range quoted.

Personally I'm not interested in "getting a new set of alloys" - but I'm extremely interested in making sure that while we're next attempting the Ernest Giles Rd, we don't swerve to avoid a snake and find the rim wandering off into the scrub.

Can't be bothered checking my VIN to see if it's effected Nissan will do that for me however it's probably like all recalls, the effected vehicles fit into a range of VIN's but may not necessarily be all of them in that range. My VIN wasn't included in the bonnet recall VIN's when they first released those yet I got the notice from Nissan within weeks of the recall being issued.

With global shipping the way it is and Nissan's very slow production during the 08 GFC and into mid 09 the VIN range spread over such a time span is not overly suprising and by mid 08 they might well have started using the as yet uneffected rims while still in the effected VIN range. Or there could be a later recall bring 09's into the mix.

It does raise the question though that there is a fault in some of the wheels.
What will happen if the owner demands new wheels as he doesnt feel safe driving on wheels that may or may not break at some time in the future.

As a national safety recall I can't see that they'd just be able to inspect and say if it's ok now it will be ok so keep driving. I would suspect they have a batch number or such stamped on them and Nissan can only give a VIN range for when those batches were used and they will inspect the entire range looking for said batch stamp, if the stamp is different no matter what the VIN then the tyres only need to be inspected.

Makes you wonder though
We know of one set that cracked so how many others cracked for them to realise its a fault and do a recall

Just did a Google search and the only things that come up for Navaracracked rims or wheels or alloys is the info we have pasted in here .
Now correct me if im wrong but surely there would be a heap more complaining about busted wheels I would have thought

Last edited:
What makes me wonder is why it's taken Nissan so long to register the problem, especially if if the recall has gone around the world before it got here (like someone else above suggested). Surely that's left Nissan open to some potential law suits if bad rims can be proven and they knew about the issue but just hadn't got around to notifying this side of the world.

How do Nissan inform you if you bought second hand?

Will be inspecting my wheels and VIN but I guess I just phone
Nissan to find out what happens to mine if cracked or in correct VIN range.

Murph

Have you been back to Nissan for servicing or anything? If they don't know you own the car then they can't really do anything about it, which is why the usually put ads in newspapers and in some cases on tv, however you can ring your dealer and ask then and they will tell you whether or not your car is effected.

Makes you wonder though
We know of one set that cracked so how many others cracked for them to realise its a fault and do a recall

Just did a Google search and the only things that come up for Navaracracked rims or wheels or alloys is the info we have pasted in here .
Now correct me if im wrong but surely there would be a heap more complaining about busted wheels I would have thought

See there's the funny, funny thing that I just don't yet understand.

I had not hear of even ONE bonnet coming loose and smashing into the windscreen while people were doing 90+km/h on roads like the Canning Stock Route or the like - yet last year we got the recall for that exact reason (high speed, corrugated roads causing the failure if the front end is too heavy).

I've heard of cruise controls becoming unreliable, the paint on the plastic components coming off easily, faulty torque converters, rattling accelerator pedals - but none of these issues have inspired a recall.

Do you recognise the difference?

It's severity. If you can't use the cruise controls properly you can still drive the vehicle. If your paint is peeling off your steering wheel, you can still drive the car. Same for the rattling accelerator and vibrating torque converter.

But if your wheels fall off ...

But the kicker is we know of one definate set of cracked wheels but thats it. Google brings up nothing from the UK nada nothing at all apart from this post basically and the post I put on Club Frontier

Recall number 580 for the D40's.

Should of bought a D22.

Atleast they care enough to improve our utes.

As Tony said it's definitely a severity issue and just what does and doesn't constitute a serious or life threatening situation. All manufacturers go through it at some point and Toyota was ragged heavily for putting profits before safety last year with their world wide recalls.

Maybe Nissan are doing the same maybe they aren't but the one thing to take into account is that people using forums and the internet to complain about such issues make up a very small number of sales. Nissan are still selling around 2000 Navara a month in this country yet we are getting nowhere near that many new sign ups, which means there is still many car buyers not using forums and blogs to tell their story.

If you loose confidence in your wheels you basically wont use them . I wonder what would happen if you pushed it from the point that the dealership cant prove that the wheels wont crack in the future so you want them replaced.

Well, I am included in the VIN range but checked the wheels and no sign of cracks so far.
Will contact Nissan and see what they say.

I won't hold my breath for a speedy resolution though.

Murph

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Latest posts

Back