Recall For Alloy Wheels

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont have my stock wheels at the moment as they are on the truck in the panel beaters but can anyone find any serial numbers or dates etc. Anything that might indicate a batch of wheels?

My spares are at work so i'll have a look in the morning,i'm not going outside to look under the ute because it's starting to rain.
:sorry:

I examined mine with my rather inadequate eyesight and couldn't see anything. I didn't check batch numbers or anything but mine's a July '09 build, October '09 arrival in Australia and 24 Oct 2009 delivery to me - yours would seem to be within the period specified by Nissan, even if the VIN isn't.

I believe Nissan's inspect and replace as required will be based on the same theory as other companies who have recalled alloys. They will have a range, batch no's or serials that they suspect are effected, they will call them in for inspection, inspection will consist of x-raying the possibly effected rims and measure for thickness and density. The rims that will be in danger of cracking will all present themselves through the x-ray process. Should be minutes per rim, probably done on the car and as safe as all their factory checking. Such a process enables them to fairly accurately predict whether they can send un-cracked rims back out onto the road or if they need replacing.

My 8 alloys have no signs of cracks. Will be very peed off if they don't do all 8 of them.

Rang Nissan Dealer this morning to check if the recall will apply to all 8. They have not heard about it yet. They told me to ring back in a few days or wait for the letter.

Nissan can't ignore such a safety issue just because of the wheels not being on a ute or not being original purchaser. A potentially serious problem exists and they will have to go to all means possible to replace those rims effected. All means is usually a letter to those they know own the items, then a new paper ad and maybe tv ad to make others that aren't on their database aware. Once those avenues have been exhausted Nissan can't really do much more, but it also means they can't ignore one set just because they weren't brought with the car.

Just like the Mullens recall a few weeks back the rims are being recalled not Nav's or Pathfinders, it just happens that these rims are on Nav's so it's easier to call the vehicles not rims with xyz markings.

After talking with others about this I am starting to lean heavily towards just replace the wheels and be done with it. I will be forever wondering if the wheels are going to brake and put myself or my family in danger. Sorry thats too high a risk .
Even if it was someone else hurt or worse we as the driver woould still have to live with that the rest of our lives.
Not worth that risk at all I reckon

I was talking to my dealer about it and he assured me that I'd have to be near rally-driving to get the kind of stresses needed to crack the rims.

My problem though is that I can't guarantee that a camel won't wander out in front of us as we're doing 80km/h on the Plenty Highway, requiring some hard braking, steering and hoping that nothing lets go.

If they don't replace my rims, I'm going to get myself some new ones as well. I just don't want the doubt - and given the kind of distances we find between us and civilisation at times, I don't want that sort of risk, regardless what they say when inspecting it. For my own peace of mind, those rims are gone.

Will certainly be interresting to see what happens if someone demands them replaced or have them certified .
From my own point of view they have supplied us something that is actually not fit for purpose and they should replace them for those who request it .

Found some pics from Martins original posts on ClubFrontier so you will get an idea where to look

1-14.jpg

2-10.jpg

Funny how doubt works. Up until now Martin's story has been there for all to see and read and most of us have read it now Nissan say they want to recall some of the rims people start doubting all the rims that look the same. What about all the other rims that came out of the same factory at the same time made from the same alloy, D40 and Pathfinder's can't be the only rims cast in that factory and the materials used for one are more than likely used for another.

I'm not trying to influence peoples doubts but if the rims are tested and found to be the right thickness and density (especially those that don't fit into the time frame specifics) then why should their be any more doubt on those than any other alloy rim on the market. If they are tested and not within the right parameters Nissan should replace them and until such time as it's proven they aren't replacing suspect ones it's hard to make accurate assumptions of what might happen.

The rims on my ute today are the same rims that were on it yesterday and the day before, the same rims that have bounced around farm paddocks and dirt tracks for nearly 2 years, they are scratched and marked but no signs of cracking and unless Nissan notify me that my rims are under the recall they will be treated the same tomorrow as they have been up until now. Should Nissan notify me and inspect maybe I'll feel slightly different but if the rims pass why should I not put the same faith in them as D22 drivers put in their alloys, or Toyota, or Mazda etc, the test Nissan will be required to do are the same for all manufacturers.

What is the affected VIN range???

Oh, and the paint on my steering wheel control surfaces has started to peel. I've raised the issue with Nissan 4 weeks ago to see what they intend on doing about it but no reply as yet.

Post 22 by AF has the full recall notice.

As for the steering wheel it took Nissan nearly 8 weeks to notify me they were replacing mine. Was in there for the bonnet recall and I asked about it they said they'd look into it then I'd pretty much given up on them and was just going to live with it then they rang to tell me they were replacing the whole thing. I questioned the need for the entire thing being replaced and they just said it was normal so I let them do it, so don't write them off just yet.

From reading some info on the Nissan UK forum they are leading towards testing all wheels then replacing those with cracks immediately. The rest will be replaced at a later stage.Does kinda make sense. I mean as we discussed earlier what happens if a wheel cracks later after being passed by Nissan.Would Nissan cover all costs involved if the accident was put down to a busted wheel?

They are also suggesting anyone who preempts the check by rushing in and has effected wheels will have their vehicle held. Kind of makes sense really, the second Nissan know your wheels are effected there is no getting out of liability if they let you go and tell you to come back next week.

I would imagine Nissan would have a hard time getting out of a liability even here where they haven't started fixing the problem. It's a globally recognised issue any wheels that fail before they organise themselves are their problem no matter what the damage. Once the recall closes owners will have a hard time making Nissan liable even if they didn't receive a recall letter as a second owner but from the date on the recall they are libable.

Was just reading updates to the UK forums since last night when I last looked and some one is now suggesting dealers have no right to hold your car even if the rims are cracked. Dunno how rules in the UK work but I can't imagine in this country that Nissan would be letting you out their gates with suspect wheels without signing a waiver of some sort it would be law suit suicide because they have knowingly let you on the road with a potentially unsafe vehicle. Obviously any accident or damage would have to be proven on the rim breaking to make Nissan liable but I'm not sure as a dealership owner I'd be willing to take the risk.

My car is in the dealership overnight tonight, because this morning I took it in for its 60,000km service and mentioned that the steering wheel paint was peeling a bit (which it was).

Late this afternoon the new steering wheel plastic bits arrived and will be fitted in the morning. I didn't even insist on them changing it - I just said that it was peeling. I am so thoroughly impressed by these guys I can't say it enough.

As for the rims - still haven't been told anything about them, but we haven't gone over the service that was done on the vehicle - that's tomorrow!

Had my 60,000 service done 1/7/11. asked dealer about alloy's cracking and they removed, cleaned, and spray a dye on to check. All good. They didn't have a problem with me not having the recall letter. Awesome service at Tweed Heads.

Latest posts

Back