recall on bonnet catch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also have a look at the drivers side rear shocker and see if a wire is rubbing on it:cheers!:

The wire your describing is probably the ABS signal wire. It is held in place with rubber grommets in a bracket, If your truck has been lifted, then the wires need to be released from the bracket to prevent them getting stretched at full articulation. You can go to the trouble to lengthen the cable, but most of the guy's just use some split flexible conduit to cover and protect the cable.

If your truck has been lifted, then the wires need to be released from the bracket to prevent them getting stretched at full articulation. Most of the guy's just use some split flexible conduit to cover and protect the cable.

Yup that exactly what I did (and extend the brake lines).

Thanks I think you solved the wire rubbing for me I have put air bags on which has lifted it a bit I have had no worrys with the bonnet but they will fix it under recall

Be careful with those air bags - reduce the pressure before driving anywhere if you're unloading the vehicle - particularly if you're camping off-road somewhere, unhitch and want to do some scenic driving away from "base camp". The bouncing will put excessive strain on the chassis. I guess it's then mandatory to have a compressor as well.

Mine wont get squat because its a 4x2 they told me .
No idea why but I might get round to taking it in someday lol.

I was under the impression that the bonnet failure issues where caused by heavy bullbars, hence why they are upgrading springs on some vehicles. I guess the figure most 4 x 2's won't have a bullbar.

I was under the impression that the bonnet failure issues where caused by heavy bullbars, hence why they are upgrading springs on some vehicles. I guess the figure most 4 x 2's won't have a bullbar.

It's actually a certain amount of weight on the front, when they inspect the vehicle.

Not enough weight - they put a sticker on stating that if you exceed a certain amount of weight, YOU have to put heavier springs on in order to provide warranty on the chassis, bonnet retention etc.

Too much weight - THEY put the heavier springs on.

A bullbar on its own is NOT enough weight. It has to carry a winch as well.

Yeah the whole springs deal has me confused. The weight of the bar and winch is sposed to weigh down to much on the front of the chassis and cause the failure. How would heavier springs do anything but lift the height of the chassis not strengthen it
Not that that side of it matters now as I installed my coilovers anyway lol

I think it's to do with rough roads and suspension travel. With reduced travel (original springs, too much weight) there's a risk of the suspension reaching the limit of its travel and hitting the bump stops - the repeated impact of this could cause the structural failure, requiring the addition of the Lego(TM) bonnet strap.

That would explain it.
I know my front had sagged almost 15mm and it was forever hitting the bump stops just doing things like rolling through driveways etc. I rarely went off road but the bump stop plates on the chassis were always nice and clean

Yeah the whole springs deal has me confused. The weight of the bar and winch is sposed to weigh down to much on the front of the chassis and cause the failure. How would heavier springs do anything but lift the height of the chassis not strengthen it
Not that that side of it matters now as I installed my coilovers anyway lol

I agree, regardless of what springs you have on the front end (within reason), any extra weight on the front end is only going to pivot at the rear axel, surely a more secure fixing of the bonnet latch loop rather than a couple of dodgy welds would be huge amount cheaper. Food for thought maybe.

The problem wasn't actually in the bonnet's loop, it was in the radiator mount that the bonnet loop's receiver is bolted to. It'd crack on both sides, letting the entire assembly go.

Latest posts

Back