Reverse parking sensors

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy

Reaction score
Would like some advice on how good reverse parking sensors are on the ST-X. Am not so good at reverse parking! Have heard conflicting reports (as usual) on how effective they are. Prefer not to have to fit a reversing camera but maybe this is better than sensors (any thoughts on this?). Advice on approx costs, brands etc. would also be appreciated.

I have a camera on mine and can't praise it enough, especially when I'm hooking up the caravan - I can see the ball in the bottom of the screen, so it's a piece of cake to align.

You can buy GPS units with reversing cameras, like this one from Ryda.com. A search for "gps reversing camera" in Google will reveal more.

Just like anything if you rely on it too much you are screwed when it's not there.

Sensors are fine but you have to take into account that they don't see everything, however the big advantage is they force you to still use your mirrors and not get complacent.

Cameras have a tendency with some people to become the only tool they rely on and it's a bad habit to get into, you really should practice reversing with your mirrors instead of using an aid that stops you using your mirrors.

I'm not a fan of either and if it wasn't for future options of a permanently on camera for when I'm towing I'd have neither but if I had to choose on a new install I'd go sensors and learn to reverse better rather than a camera.

I got the sensors installed before I took delivery. I loved them so much, I then got them installed into my rear custom bar.

In short they work brilliantly. I have learnt to trust them, they are calibrated so that when the tow bar tongue is in the full-time warning sounds with around 50mm left before the tow ball touches something.

BH

Do yours cancel out or have an override switch for when you have a trailer on boss?

Yeah make sense to have them, my old man's crewman had one of the early DIY kits and it never had the override, would have been easy to add but he never did and reversing with a trailer was bloody annoying if you had to go any further than 10 feet.

Thanks for your info BOSSHOG. AM catching up on my posts !! Are your reversing sensors fitted to a D40 steel rear bumper? What brand? how much, ? easy to fit, where to buy?

Boss got rid of his Nav about 12 months ago and hasn't posted on here since I don't think so you might not get an answer.

My guess would be no they weren't in the rear bar because I'm sure he didn't have the original rear bar. Brand: I have no idea. How much: Bugger all these days. Easy to fit: A piece of piss. Where to Buy: Anywhere automtoive from Autobarn to Ebay.

Edit. Going by the above post it appears Boss says he got the factory ones installed pre-delivery then had them fitted to his aftermarket rear bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that good info Krafty. The thread with Bosshog was a bit dated. Had got some previous 'advice' that sensors in metal bars caused interference but i think that was duff as I have seen them on member Birchwood's navvy. I would like to get them fitted and will persevere. Cheers.

I've seen them in steel bars before, never asked the owners if they worked but I assumed if they didn't the owner wouldn't have them.

Sorry to re-re-open the thread but with parking sensors, is there a way to further water proof/resist them?

Last wet season they were going off at random times due to water somehow tricking them.

Latest posts

Back