Road trip ideas victoria?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TUFFD40

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm planning on doing a road trip for around about 7 days at the end of the year with the misses and some friends when I finally get away from work! I live in Victoria and was looking for some ideas of where to go/ what to see ect... wouldn't mind popping past a couple different caravan parks along the way perhaps camp it out at a beach.. something along those lines.. any ideas would be great. Ive only recently bought my Navarra and I cant wait to finically start to enjoy it properly, Cheers.

7 days really isn't enough to go far if you want enjoy a bit of the outdoors at the same time. Look at Google maps and decide do you want to see the beaches, the high country, the mallee or something else and plan a trip focusing on those areas with the idea to fill in the blanks in the coming years.

You could easily spend 7 days on a road trip either side of Melbourne, narrow things down a bit and you might get more targeted ideas.

Thanks for your advice kraftypg, I think im undecided on exactly what I want to do atm that's why im looking at suggestions on maybe peoples previous trips they loved, the thought of xmas holydays is already making me want to attempt backflips, but like what you said what you miss out on you can always do in coming years.

If you travel up the coast from seaspray up in gippsland you can camp for free on beach reserves , i do a lot of surf fishing around the area and its a fantastic place , plenty to see up and down the coast

Put a map on the wall and pick a side of Melbourne and focus on that side. You will easily get a 7 day trip out of either side but because there is so much worth seeing you might be able to focus on one particular area like a drive along the coast or a drive into the high country.

There are plenty of us that have done all areas and some of us know them fairly extensively if you have an area to focus on we'll be able to give you more targeted advice on each area.

Have a look at the book camps Australia, its got listings of free camps and what if any amenitys are there, if you find a nice camp spot you could plan your tour around there

thanks for the advice fellas! greatly appreciated. I guess ile speak to the misses see where her heads at but a drive up on the coast on a hot summers night sounds awesome!

I thought you couldn't drive on the beaches in Vic.
Other destinations might be Robe 8-9Hrs direct drive or stop over at Hamilton.
Victorian deserts if you want to chill out not too far from home you can stay at Rainbow caravan park and the pub there it is just awesome (say g'day to Jake from Max $ Sandra).
Few camping spots along the great ocean road as well.
It also depends how many days you want to spend relaxing somewhere.
But then as long as you are not at work it doesn't matter where you enjoying your Nav.
Good luck
Cheers Max

There is only one legal place for driving on beaches from memory and that has to be done through a 4wd club I believe. That doesn't mean it can't be done, I know a few places where the cops and Foresties etc turn a blind eye on sand driving providing those that do it don't abuse the privileged but it's not an advertised thing.

its been hard booking at this time of year as pretty much everything is all booked, but managed to get a spot in Eden NSW from the 29-12-13 to the 3-1-14, the plan is from Eden to take off up the coast and head to Sydney as I Have a friends house for a week free accommodation :D !!!

Im a newbie at this sorta stuff.. Just curious and looking for ideas.. of things to do see around Eden and possible places to stop up the coast on the way to Sydney...? Really looking forward to taking the 4x4 on its first proper road trip :)

I haven't been to Eden for ages, my parents were there about 2 weeks ago and from them I know it's still hilly,, windy and they sell postcards :big_smile:

Eden's a fishing town there is no doubt plenty to see around there but we usually prefer to come south and stay at Mallacoota or go further north to Bermi.

have never been to any of these places but I know all the blokes from work LOVE Bermagui!! hoping to spend a lot of my time around Merimbula as I couldn't get any accommodation there and Eden was the next closet thing.

Bermi is really only a fishing town, other than saying you stood where they filmed "The Man Who Sued God" there is little else other than fishing. The locals on the lake used to be a bit of an issue but I don't know what they are like now. A relo of mine owns the caravan park on the lake there it's out of town but a good place.

Merimbula has more variety, fishing and boating is usually pretty good and one can often see Bushy fishing up the river there. Magic Mountain is a good attraction but I haven't been there for 20 years so the rides have probably changed quite a bit

Other than fishing I don't remember what is in Eden but a heap of people live there so it can't be too bad :big_smile:

We love bermi, stay at wallaga lake every Christmas, great skiing there
i dont fish but the old man looks forward to it every year

Gday TuffD40, I have a nice spot up on the Avon river just north of Maffra, PM me if you are interested and I can send you the GPS coords and track file too.

Cheers
Tim

Just finished a trip to the Murray river, from Echuca to Yarrawonga-very nice and lotsa camping spots, then ended up on Lake Eildon only stayed one night was also nice.

Latest posts

Back