RustyNavs 2012 Cape York

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boxy

The creek after nolans i just put the bra on and tied the fan blade back and went through. it was deep but i didnt get any water through when i went through it. i got a tiny bit through nolans but nothing to worth whinging about. was dry in a few hours but i can still slightly smell it when the windows are up for long periods. once again not a biggy it was part of the trip. Frenchmans was a real shame, we were getting reports from the rangers at Chilli Beac that they were still pulling cars out of it cause they were stuck, so we ventured away from it. Ohwell shit happens there is always next time.

Robmacca

Snorkel was super tight. duct taped at the join into the airbox and siliconed at every other join in the wheel arche. i tell you it wasnt a nice feeling seeing it come over the bonnet and up the window hehe.

it will have to be a spot i see next trip ,how did those sax springs go im looing for a bette set of springs th eironman ones contact the chassis

To be honest the sax springs were probably the best mod on the car. Super comfy no sag and great flex. Well worth the coin.

Hey Rusty, great pics, hope to be doing the cape next year!!
nolans brook would have to be the crossing the scares me the most about the who trip though, having watched so many vids on you tube of car drowning!, although some seem to do it no worries and some seem to stop its got me buggered!!

is this the prado you saw get stuck?? i reckon the trick with electonic controlled stuff now days its to shut it down if it stops so you dont fry it!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dYz0Jy3Kgo

cheers
bryan

Hey Rusty, great pics, hope to be doing the cape next year!!
nolans brook would have to be the crossing the scares me the most about the who trip though, having watched so many vids on you tube of car drowning!, although some seem to do it no worries and some seem to stop its got me buggered!!

is this the prado you saw get stuck?? i reckon the trick with electonic controlled stuff now days its to shut it down if it stops so you dont fry it!!

cheers
bryan

Nolan is all about being sensible. I would have someone join straps which will have your car attached so once you look like you stop moving the tension on the straps is already there to be taken up to pull you out. That's what we did and had no water in cars.

No that's not the same prado. The one we saw was an older model with a camper.

i reckon the trick with electonic controlled stuff now days its to shut it down if it stops so you dont fry it!!

cheers
bryan

I'm not sure shutting the motor off is such a good idea..... If u have a snorkel and it's sealed properly, I would be keeping the engine running.... Soon as u turn off the motor, the water will rush up the exhaust and into the motor that way (depth depending). There might even be a bit of a vacuum caused as well with the hot engine and cold water.... same principle of a hot diff sucking in cold water through the "std" breather if u don't allow the diff to cool down b4 crossing deep water x-ings...

just my thoughts though.....

I'm not sure shutting the motor off is such a good idea..... If u have a snorkel and it's sealed properly, I would be keeping the engine running.... Soon as u turn off the motor, the water will rush up the exhaust and into the motor that way (depth depending). There might even be a bit of a vacuum caused as well with the hot engine and cold water.... same principle of a hot diff sucking in cold water through the "std" breather if u don't allow the diff to cool down b4 crossing deep water x-ings...

just my thoughts though.....

Mate i sunk my d22 and once the water enters the cab and starts getting up near the shifter its ALL OVER!! the water hits the ecu and the motor stop anyway, my lights came on, so did the stereo and as i was climbing out the window BANG the air bag went off.

NRMA didnt even bother to look over it they just read what the panel beaters put in the report and they didnt want anything to do with and sent me the money.

So if ever i am stupid enough or unlucky enough where im the same sitch i will take my chances and shut it down, hopefully it will save the electric's and with out the motor running there is no chance of hydraulic locking the motor.
Then once its out pull it down drain her out and see if anything is warped.
If it is well you will have a motor to replace, which is better then having the motor and all the electric's, ecu ect... and airbags and anything else electric you can think of.

Sorry Rusty to hijack mate.
Photos look awesome, i am extremely jealous.. i will have to take your advice and get of my arse and organise a trip up there.

I'm not fussed Nathan. I guess it all comes down to preparation doesn't it. We had snatches already hooked upas a caution. In saying that if I was to get that much water in I wouldnt know what I would do. I know the d22 snorkels aren't the.best of .sealed so I would .proably switch off

We are heading to the cape this time next month - what's the (picture of the) water crossing and is it necessary to go through that to get to the top? - not a hope in hell I'll go through that with 3 small kids in the car plus I showed the pictures to my wife and I've got the distinct impression she's not coming if we have to go through that.

thanks

We are heading to the cape this time next month - what's the (picture of the) water crossing and is it necessary to go through that to get to the top? - not a hope in hell I'll go through that with 3 small kids in the car plus I showed the pictures to my wife and I've got the distinct impression she's not coming if we have to go through that.

thanks
Dirt jockey dont let that video scare u that bloke was obviously a massive penis i.e no water bra,fast entry no recovery gear ready for quick retreval,it is not required to go through the crossing to get to the top u could drive the development road all the way up ,in a commodore if u like, but to not do the tele track u may aswell not bother it is the absolute highlight of the cape i strongly recommend frenchmans also! you look like u have a well set up rig and no reason unless your going by yourself to not do the tele track, i took my 2 very young daughters on the tele track,from my experiance at nolans theres always someone on the opposite side to hook a snatchy to which is what rus and myself did we joined 3 snatchys connected them up. Oh and on the off chance there is no one there u can back track a few kms to the development road

Its definetly worth it but mate u will kick urself if u decide not to do it ,oh yeah and there is quite a deep lil crossing u have to do to get to elliot twin falls which is only a lil shallower than that if u (pics of that in my cape thread )

Its definetly worth it but mate u will kick urself if u decide not to do it ,oh yeah and there is quite a deep lil crossing u have to do to get to elliot twin falls which is only a lil shallower than that if u (pics of that in my cape thread )

Thanks for that - anything rough is not a problem we'll go anywhere and generally get through with no problems - but I'm not keen on water up to the doorhandles - the thought of getting stuck in the middle and then trying to get a scared 4, 6 & 7 year old out the door and to safety scares the hell out of me and I'd just never compromise their safety.

Thanks for that - anything rough is not a problem we'll go anywhere and generally get through with no problems - but I'm not keen on water up to the doorhandles - the thought of getting stuck in the middle and then trying to get a scared 4, 6 & 7 year old out the door and to safety scares the hell out of me and I'd just never compromise their safety.

i had my 1 year old baby in the car with me she loved it jsut chillin lol,are u going with someone? meanwhile ur older kids will love the swimming about in the crystal clear water watching dad turn the car into a submarine hahaha while the wife doing the filming wish i could add videos ,have u got face book? i can put the videos of nolan up on the navar muster page. i plan on doing a fair right up on things that are hard to find for example firewodd availabilty? Lockhart river=shithole lol,if ur looking for a night of r&r and to do washing there is a great lil resort in bamaga 150 for a night with pool washing machine,reseraunt,theres a bottle o,bakery,expensive supermarket lol

Dirtjockey

Boxy has already filled you in. The last crossing is Nolans and don't be afraid of that picture. We did it backwards and the video of the prado he took the wrong entrance for that particular vehicle. There is a better entrance than that which allows you to hug a higher ground. As boxy mentioned we had 3 snatches joined already to both recovering vehicle and vehicle doing crossing on the off chance they stopped. Worked a dam treat and had no water in any car. Also bra up etc and stop that fan from slapping the radiator.

The crossing on the way to Elliot is the crossing I busted my radiator. There is a bypass track if you want to use it.

Wow amazing Russ, you did get to the CAPE! Sorry, just catching up with this trip report. I saw in one of the 4WD Action mags the CREB when it was all muddy, didn't look like much fun, was it dry when you went through?

How did the std rear bar handle all the steep drop offs etc?

Latest posts

Back